Leading or trailing white space characters in file names

Re: Leading or trailing white space characters in file names
Willy Tschager Wrote:Here's a summary:

Replace in http://www.ldraw.org/Article218.html#files:

Quote:Every line of the file contains one command. With few exceptions, every command is independent of other lines. The exceptions are the BFC meta-commands which modify the behaviour of one or more following command lines. There is no line length restriction. Every command starts with a number, called a line type. The function and format of the line is determined by the line type.

I think the phrase "Every command starts with a number" is misleading, as a cursory reading would indicate that leading whitespace is forbidden. I also think the whole logical flow of the paragraph was/is jumbled. I would prefer the following:

Quote:Every line of the file contains one command. A command consists of optional leading whitespace, a number indicating the line type, and whitespace-delimited fields. The function and format of the line is determined by the line type number, while the fields contain the line's data. There is no line length restriction. Most commands are independent of other lines, although there are a few rare exceptions in which a line modifies the behaviour of one or more following command lines. For example, the BFC meta-commands change the interpretation of subsequent geometry.

A serious problem with both this text, and the original, is that it appears to disallow empty or whitespace-only lines. I think that should also be addressed.

Allen
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Leading or trailing white space characters in file names - by Allen Smith - 2012-02-09, 18:01