LDCad Part Snapping Guidelines

Re: LDCad Part Snapping Guidelines
Willy Tschager Wrote:As much as I love seeing people join in to work on a project I'd like to remind you that, as it currently stands, we do NOT have a standard for a connection database yet.

The LSB 2015/2016 has been set up to harmonize the four models we currently have:

LDCad
JBrickBuilder
Bricksmith
SR3D

Cementing one of these models by the sheer number of working parts is not fair towards the other programmers. Once more I beg the LSB to start working on the issue.

w.

Wow, didn't mean to stir things up with this post and had no idea I would! Smile I'm just new to the community and excited about this feature, even though there isn't a formal standard around it yet.

I'm just getting started with LDraw and have gravitated to LDCad because I personally prefer it over the others. Finding out that LDCad now allows me to edit snap data (although experimental and potentially invalid once a standard is created) was a huge bonus, in my opinion, because I don't have to wait for "whatever" to get updated before I can use that feature for parts that are missing that data. It allows me to build things much faster and spend less time fussing with part placement. Who doesn't want that?

I don't think anyone here is trying to gang up on anyone and I don't think they are trying to be unfair to the other developers either. If someone makes a great product that offers great features that people want, people will use it, even if there are risks involved. That's not the fault of the creator of the product.

With that said, I realize that I'm kind of an outsider here but it appears to me that something like this could take a very long time to standardize and be available to the general public. I got excited when I ran across a post about the LCD, but then also found this. Almost a year later and not much appears to have been done, and I have no idea when that was initially proposed. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, I'm just trying to point out that part snapping appears to be something that people have wanted for a while now. This is somewhat evidenced by the 4 applications you list, which have taken it upon themselves to create their own part snapping info because that info was/is not readily available and doesn't appear to be any time soon.

With that said, I would tend to view interest in this feature for LDCad more as a positive thing, and would hope that the interest it is generating would fuel the creation and acceptance of a new standard so that everyone could collaborate and enjoy this great feature.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: LDCad Part Snapping Guidelines - by Jason McReynolds - 2015-10-13, 19:15