LDPub3D 1.2.1 - medium motor fade test

Re: LDPub3D 1.2.1 - medium motor fade test
Bingo! Thank you Trevor, your clarification has helped me to resolve the issue. Faded "complex" parts, such as the PF medium motor and the Technic shock absorber are now generating automatically as faded parts without requiring any manual intervention from me.

In case this is of use to anyone else, I will describe my diagnosis and resolution below.

Original state
  • LDraw application root directory was "D:\Program Files\LDraw"
  • LDRAWDIR environment variable was set to "D:\Program Files\LDraw"
  • The sub-directories "parts", "p" and "Unofficial" were located within the directory "D:\Program Files\LDraw"

Corrected state
  • LDraw application root directory was "D:\Program Files\LDraw" i.e. no change
  • LDRAWDIR environment variable was set to "D:\users\Vista\Public\Documents\LDraw"
  • The sub-directories "parts", "p" and "Unofficial" were moved to within the directory "D:\users\Vista\Public\Documents\LDraw"
  • The owner of "Unofficial" and all its content and sub-directory was set to mimic that for "parts" and "p". This may not be a necessary step for some but it was for me as I had been fiddling about manually in "Unofficial"
  • I moved the files; Category.txt, LDCfgalt.ldr, LDConfig.ldr, LDraw_DAT_parttypes.txt, LDraw_LDR_parttypes.txt, LDraw_Themes.txt, MLCAD.cfg and parts.lst from "D:\Program Files\LDraw" to "D:\users\Vista\Public\Documents\LDraw".
  • I ran MLCAD and confirmed it worked successfully.
  • I ran LDView and confirmed it ran successfully.
  • I ran LDPub3D, amended the location of the "LDraw" directory within the "Configuration/Preferences" menu option, changing it from "D:\Program Files\LDraw" to "D:\users\Vista\Public\Documents\LDraw". I then exited LPub3D and started it a second time.

Having undertaken the steps per the "Corrected state", things now appear to be working correctly.

I think the key takeaway here is that the value of the environment variable LDRAWDIR needs to be set to the "LDraw parts library default directory" (i.e. the "No 2") and not the LDraw application root directory (i.e. the "No 1"). In my original state, they were one and the same but permissions were (correctly) not allowing the application to write to the Unofficial sub-directory.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

David
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: LDPub3D 1.2.1 - medium motor fade test - by David Manley - 2015-09-24, 9:10