Connectivity Part 50: Travel Limits

Connectivity Part 50: Travel Limits
Hi Y'all,

I have attached a picture of a few hinges to illustrate one of the problems I am still fighting with re: a connectivity spec.

Mario posted an update to his connection model and the resulting discussion covers a model for connection meta-data that is pretty complete.

The issue I want to bring up here is: how do we (and do we even bother to) specify the travel limits for connections that have degrees of freedom (E.g. hinges). Such data isn't necessary for Mario's original purpose (assisted modeling) but it might be useful (in helping to stop the user from going past the legal end of motion for a part).

The question is: can connection travel limits be specified on a per connection basis, or can the data only be determined by looking at -pairs- of connectors? In the example I built, the male/female hinge plates have been swapped with part of standard hinge brick.

The limit when the 2x4 plate is inserted into the 1x2 brick isn't the same as -either- the limits for the plate with another plate or the natural limits for the hinge brick.

I could imagine a big table with pairs of connectors and travel limits, but this seems a little bit scary...
- The data is specific to the -part-, not the -connector-, which means we have to say which connector (on a given part) we are connecting with.
- Thus the number of data points in the table is going to be pretty huge.
- It isn't clear how we'd manage such data in the library - there are two parts the data can be attached to, or it could be in a separate table, but not being able to decompose by part is not good.

Does anyone have any good (or at least not terrible) ideas on this? I can try to put together some kind of straw man proposal but I can't help but think I'm missing a concept we need.

Cheers
Ben

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Connectivity Part 50: Travel Limits - by Ben Supnik - 2015-02-07, 21:59