LDraw data files at Brickset

Re: LDraw data files at Brickset
Nicola Wrote:About CCW/CW/Invertnext/double sided poly: for all i can see, this is completely superfluous. No other file format i know (and i know some), has things like this. This is not a big issue, but again is an arbitrary and useless thing we have on top, it's a mix of legacy and solutions from a time where saving a single triangle was a big gain. Now video card can pump out gazillion triangles with ease. Just stick with a direction, and convert the library.

The LDraw file format is fundamentally based on primitives, and most primitives don't have an inside or an outside, so while the CW/CCW settings are indeed optional (included for the convenience of part authors), the INVERTNEXT command is necessary, and will always be necessary (unless we replaced every flippable primitive with two, where one was pre-inverted). Supporting CW/CCW is trivial, and in fact nearly free once you have support for INVERTNEXT, so having it there for the convenience of part authors makes perfect sense. And even if INVERTNEXT were lacking, similar flipping code would be needed to support mirror matrices.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, double sided polygons are trivial: draw them twice, once with each orientation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: LDraw data files at Brickset - by Steffen - 2014-11-02, 17:49
Re: LDraw data files at Brickset - by Steffen - 2014-11-15, 14:36
Re: LDraw data files at Brickset - by Steffen - 2014-11-15, 14:42
Re: LDraw data files at Brickset - by Nicola - 2014-11-04, 11:08
Re: LDraw data files at Brickset - by Travis Cobbs - 2014-11-04, 18:17
Re: LDraw data files at Brickset - by Steffen - 2014-12-04, 22:15
Re: LDraw data files at Brickset - by Nicola - 2014-12-15, 10:54