Line type 1 and 0 FILE filename/part name upper/lowercase specification

Re: Line type 1 and 0 FILE filename/part name upper/lowercase specification
@Roland & @Chris:
I totally agree for case insensitive search for :
- parts in library
- sub-file references in MPD files

I see only a little drawback on using case insensitive sub-model search in the situation of a multiple sub file project, suppose this situation in a case sensitive filesystem (*nix-like):
- a model called "model.ldr" with some sub-model called "model-a1.ldr" "model-a2.ldr" "model-b1.ldr" "model-b2.ldr"
- a model called "model-B1.ldr" in the same directory

If a program will do a case insensitive search to read model.ldr there is a chance that you will get
"model-B1.ldr"
instead of
"model-b1.ldr"

There is also a risk that user reads "model-B1.ldr" model and save it as "model-b1.ldr" if program matches first "model-B1.ldr" on read.

Windows have a case-preserving filesystem, but file search are case-insensitive, so exposed situation is impossible on Windows (if you have "model-B1.ldr" and try to save another file with name "model-b1.ldr" in same directory you'll get an overwrite warning).

So... my point of view (absolutely arguable) it is to leave to the user to solve this problem if an automatic solution can be dangerous or can lead to unexpected results.
It will be a problem only on case sensitive filesystem (*nix-like), not on Windows and OSX (see here).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Line type 1 and 0 FILE filename/part name upper/lowercase specification - by Mario Pascucci - 2014-09-01, 14:48