Line type 1 and 0 FILE filename/part name upper/lowercase specification

Re: Line type 1 and 0 FILE filename/part name upper/lowercase specification
The Parts Tracker, when the part updates are built, runs FreeBSD UNIX, so filenames are case-sensitive and always lowercase. The the "0 Name: " line must match that.

Since the original deployment of the LDraw library was Windows, it never mattered what case was used in line type 1 references and no convention is enforced. The convention is to use Windows-style (\) directory separators, although I just found a few parts that don't follow that, so I suspect it is not rigourously checked durig the parts update build.

I think Roland is right that to support tools should be insensitive to case and directory separator.

There was a special case that an all-uppercase reference to STUD.DAT was meant to instruct the renderer never to substitute low-res or no-res studs, where this primitive was used for things like door handles, etc. I doubt this was well documented, may not have been implemented beyond the (now obsolete) ldraw.exe program and probably isn't understood by part authors (cf. 6104.dat).

Chris
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Line type 1 and 0 FILE filename/part name upper/lowercase specification - by Chris Dee - 2014-08-29, 16:54