p/low fast draft parts

Re: p/low fast draft parts
Hi Steffen,

On one hand, I have to admit that my parts/0 experiment was created entirely with automated tools and _mild_ human supervision.

On the other hand, there is some non-automatic knowledge going on. In particular, I chose to "box" only parts where the visual error for doing so was fairly low (e.g. bricks but not crazy technic parts).

So where should this knowledge live? I can think of a few places:

- Having parts in a parts/0 directory risks the parts being orphaned if a part is renamed. A part's geometry being radically changed should be a non-issue -- if the part is so totally borked, how did it get certified?

- We could have a META in the 'original' part, e.g 0 !BOXED. This would let tools box the right parts, and would be immune to library renames. This is similar to my original idea (LOD _in_ the part itself) but then we have to update a few hundred parts just to get started -- I seem to get huge push-back for this.

- A list of boxable parts could be kept around as part of the library for the purpose of generating parts/0 from scratch every time the library is released. I think this isn't actually a crazy idea - the number of library releases is small, and the process could be completely automated.

- I could keep a separate parts list of 'boxable' parts in Bricksmith - this is sort of my worst-case fallback idea, because it can be done with no LSC interaction, but it's not a great solution, because that list has to be kept up-to-date with a library that it's not part of.

Anyway, I'm open to people's ideas here...the perf win of a boxed or /0 library is there, if we can find a way to build it.

cheers
ben
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
p/low fast draft parts - by Ben Supnik - 2014-01-08, 21:59
Re: p/low fast draft parts - by Ben Supnik - 2014-01-08, 22:45
Re: p/low fast draft parts - by Ben Supnik - 2014-01-09, 18:48
Re: p/low fast draft parts - by Ben Supnik - 2014-01-09, 21:13
Re: p/low fast draft parts - by Ben Supnik - 2014-01-12, 22:13
Re: p/low fast draft parts - by Steffen - 2014-01-14, 22:02
Re: p/low fast draft parts - by Ben Supnik - 2014-01-14, 22:16
Re: p/low fast draft parts - by Steffen - 2014-01-15, 0:26