please open also LSC forums for posting for everyone

please open also LSC forums for posting for everyone
dear LSC, could we pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze get rid of the annoyance that
users cannot comment on ongoing discussions within the LSC forum?
I feel this an unproductive and unnecessary restriction.

For example, I just wanted to answer this post
http://forums.ldraw.org/showthread.php?t...19#pid7319
which wrote
"Filename is the relative path to the file, relative to the P or PARTS directory."
, and I wanted to add that this should read probably better
"Filename is the relative path to the file, relative to the current folder, the MODELS or PARTS or P folder, in this order"
, but I wasn't able to....

I cannot imagine what such a posting restriction should be good for :-|||
Re: please open also LSC forums for posting for everyone
Steffen Wrote:I cannot imagine what such a posting restriction should be good for :-|||

It allows the LSC to do the job they're elected to do (ratifying standards) with only direct contribution from the other voting LSC members. The public viewing is essentially live minutes.

It's not so hard to simply link directly to the LSC post.

Tim
Please read:

http://www.ldraw.org/article/382.html

Quote:LSC Discussion

The LSC shall have a mailing list or other communication method where only members can post, but the entire community can read. This allows the community to keep tabs on what is being discussed, and discuss LSC issues in public forums such as LUGNET’s CAD.* groups. The LSC should encourage this discussion, and should draw ideas and suggestions from non-LSC members in the community, ensuring everyone’s voice is heard. However, the LSC shall be the only group that votes to ratify a proposal as a standard.

This elected body has worked fine in all these years with the procedure above and I cannot see any reason why we should change it, since the guys are picking up input from the community quickly.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Hello Willy, I hope you didn't misunderstand me.
I didn't ask to let everyone participate in LSC decisions.
I just wanted to have the LSC forum opened here for posts from non-LSC people.
The advantage would be that anyone feeling the urge to contribute to a discussion could do that.
If you fear spam etc., you can still block such accounts, and a spam problem is also something
other forums could suffer from.
I have a problem following your counterargument "it's the rule", because it is that rule which I'm arguing against,
so it shouldn't be used as a pro-argument on itself I think.
Your other point that people pick up things is quite valid, but I still don't see why this picking up mechanism
should be better than allowing a direct reply in the forum thread.
The LSC forum is the only place that official LSC discussions take place now. Previously, they were done with an email list that had its archive viewable by all. Personally, I think this current setup is much better. (It's also more open, because most people weren't even aware of the email discussion list archive.) The sole purpose of the LSC forum is for LSC discussions, participated in solely by active LSC members. Non-LSC members are encouraged to post to other forums here in response to things they see on the LSC forum, and LSC forum members do pay attention to those posts. But the LSC forum itself is purely for official LSC use.
yes, and my question is: why is that so?
why would posts from other people disturb?
The whole purpose of that forum is to be the place to have and record official discussions by active LSC members. It's like the minutes of a meeting, if we had physical meetings (which we don't).

If you want to comment on discussions happening there, feel free to do so in another forum. Allowing posts by non-LSC members would destroy the whole purpose of that particular forum.
Steffen,

In the SteerCo we have a nice private forum untarnished and unviewed by the outside world and often pretty quiet. But when it heats up busy, it can already be easy to miss an important post*. If we had people from outside the forum throwing in their ten cents whenever something tickled their fancy, important posts would be even easier to miss.

So yes, allowing posts in the LSC forum from non-members would disturb the forum. If you wish to post in the LSC forum, you can run for the LSC. In that sense the forum is open for posting from everyone. They just have to be elected.

Tim

* Often because there are many other new posts all around the LDraw forums, and it can be easy to forget to check a sub-forum that's usually quiet. This would be much worse if the general natter was also in the SteerCo forum.
Tim Wrote:So yes, allowing posts in the LSC forum from non-members would disturb the forum. If you wish to post in the LSC forum, you can run for the LSC. I'm sure your direct contribution would be welcome.
I know, but unfortunately my time didn't/doesn't allow for that at the moment.
I really have trouble making enough free of it for LDRAW already.
Maybe I confused SteerCo and StandardsCo - I was just referring to this
http://forums.ldraw.org/showthread.php?t...19#pid7319
, where I think the correction of the spec again needs correction, as described above
Steffen Wrote:I know, but unfortunately my time didn't/doesn't allow for that at the moment.
I really have trouble making enough free of it for LDRAW already.

I understand this. But please understand that those of us in the two committees also have little time. And our limited time is saved by not having to wade through external posts in the private forums.

Tim

PS. You did not confuse them, but I can only speak about the SteerCo as it's the committee I'm on Smile
Travis Cobbs Wrote:If you want to comment on discussions happening there, feel free to do so in another forum.

Note that such a forum already exists: "Parts Authoring and Official File Standards". It's even label as such in the forum description.

Same thing for "General LDraw.org Discussion" and the SteerCo (although the SteerCo forum is completely private).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »