Categorisation of Minifig headwear

Categorisation of Minifig headwear
There are some anomalies in the way that Minifig headwear has been categorised (Minifig vs. Minifig Accessory) current official library. There are examples of hats and hair in both categories.

I'd prefer that 'Minifig Accessory' be restricted to hand-held parts. I propose to introduce new CATEGORY values:
Minifig Headwear : Hair and hats
Minifig Neckwear : parts like Epaulettes, Neckscarves, capes
and possibly
Minifig Waistwear : fabric skirts as seen in the Collectable Minifigs
Minifig Footwear : Flippers, Ice Skates

Does anyone see a problem with this or have a better idea?
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Re: Categorisation of Minifig headwear
Chris Dee Wrote:Minifig Waistwear : fabric skirts as seen in the Collectable Minifigs

Hipwear? There is already one part. It has been added to the MLCad.ini and is supported by LEOCad's minfig generator:

Armour SW Clone Trooper Tasset - 61190c.DAT

Chris Dee Wrote:Does anyone see a problem with this or have a better idea?

No, just nitpicking: How about BL categories, though Footgear sounds horrible.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
In general ...wear is more common British English usage than ...gear. I don't particularly see the value in splitting the hand-held (Minifig Accessory) category into Shield, Utensil and Weapon as BL has done.

Conversely, I think it would be better to separate Neckwear and Footwear rather then BL's "Body Wear" for neck and foot fittings.

But yes, Hipwear is better.

Minifig Neckwear : Epaulettes, Armour, Neckscarves, Capes
Minifig Hipwear : Skirts, Kilts, Tassets
Minifig Footwear : Flippers, Showshoes, Ice-skates
I like these. And I think BL has terrible categories poorly implemented so should be ignored almost entirely. Stick to 'accessory' for handheld and the others split by what they attach to. It's a better system than any other I can think of.

Definitely Hipwear rather than Waistwear.

Tim
me likey!
This has been applied to everything released in 2012-02 and I will work through the previously released parts and cycle them through the Parts Tracker with fast-track review.
Funny, in my parts.lst file, I've largely re-ordered and re-named a my minifig parts into these exact categories, so yes, I certainly agree with them. I'm surprised nobody else has thought of this before. I never thought I was doing anything special and that my actions largely fell under, "everybody has different categorization ideas for the same parts." Otherwise, I would have suggested it myself.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm theJude! So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, his Judeness, or uh, Juder, or el Juderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
Chris Dee Wrote:In general ...wear is more common British English usage than ...gear. I don't particularly see the value in splitting the hand-held (Minifig Accessory) category into Shield, Utensil and Weapon as BL has done.

Conversely, I think it would be better to separate Neckwear and Footwear rather then BL's "Body Wear" for neck and foot fittings.

But yes, Hipwear is better.

Minifig Neckwear : Epaulettes, Armour, Neckscarves, Capes
Minifig Hipwear : Skirts, Kilts, Tassets
Minifig Footwear : Flippers, Showshoes, Ice-skates

All very interesting. The TLG official categorizations come pretty close to all these ideas:
Figure parts (torsos and legs)
Heads
Hair
Head Clothing (so, TLG splits a single Chris Dee category)
Accessories upper and lower part (combining the three Chris Dee categories into one)
Accessories in hand
Weapons (a nod to Bricklink)
Food Stuff (pulling "in hand" out a bit more as well)

-- joshua
All wrongly categorised Minifig parts in the current (2012-02) official library have now been updated through the Parts Tracker and fast-track certified. Except for those parts which are there for other reasons, these will be included in the next update.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »