Minifig Torso patterned part naming convention extended

Minifig Torso patterned part naming convention extended
With the (currently 7 x 16) new minifig torsos in the Collectable Minifig series, the existing 973pXX naming convention cannot cope.

Please use 973pc[series : 1-7][sequence : 1-9,a-f].dat for these.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Re: Minifig Torso patterned part naming convention extended
cant't we go the way extending 973pXX to 973pXXXX ?

(as we don't have a 8.3 filename limit anymore.)
Yes. What exactly are you suggesting?
Ah, sorry, this was a mistake on my side. I misread
973pc[series : 1-7][sequence : 1-9,a-f].dat
for
973c[series : 1-7][sequence : 1-9,a-f].dat
and was not happy to see the "p" go away. This was an error on my side.
As long as we keep the "p" for "patterned", I'm happy with whatever numerical code follows.
Sorry for the confusion.
Chris Dee Wrote:Please use 973pc[series : 1-7][sequence : 1-9,a-f].dat for these.

I take it you want to use a single digit hex value for the seq? If so you need to add '0' or you will only have 15 items in a sequence.

And that's assuming LEGO wont come up with a special collection edition of 20 items or something Smile
The minifigs in each series already have sequence numbers on the checklist, so using 0-f would be too confusing.

So, make that 973pc[series : 1-7][sequence : 1-9,a-g].dat (a=10...g=16).
Chris Dee Wrote:With the (currently 7 x 16) new minifig torsos in the Collectable Minifig series, the existing 973pXX naming convention cannot cope.

Please use 973pc[series : 1-7][sequence : 1-9,a-f].dat for these.

I would guess, then, that you're not going to renumber 973 any time soon?

-- joshua
Potentially renaming Minifig Torso patterned parts
Even if I were, why would this be a problem? 3814pc[1-7][1-9a-g].dat wouldn't even break the legacy 8.3 naming convention.

If I did create 230+ renamed files and their ~Moved to files, would you be there to cast some certify votes? Or would we just clog the Parts Tracker with Hold votes for non-BFC and other trivial problems?
Re: Potentially renaming Minifig Torso patterned parts
I suspect the latter. Once we get a chance to 'fix' things (even if they're not so much broken as imperfect) we do tend to leap at it.

I vote for leaving them.

Tim
I don't have a problem with leaving it be. Most users don't model based on the number anyway. That said, I though we determined that trivial MoveTo items could bypass PT altogether?
They cannot easily bypass the PT, because that provides the framework for constructing Parts Updates. But if I could find a neat way to do code it on the back-end, they could get approved for release with a single PTadmin review.
Then it would be fine to rename them, present situation is a bit weird with all minifig parts but torso using LEGO design id.
Chris Dee Wrote:Even if I were, why would this be a problem? 3814pc[1-7][1-9a-g].dat wouldn't even break the legacy 8.3 naming convention.

Did I have a tone? :-) No problem on my end. My implication was more one of getting the changeover done earlier, rather than later, with things expanding.

Chris Dee Wrote:If I did create 230+ renamed files and their ~Moved to files, would you be there to cast some certify votes?

If that would help get it done, yes. I'd work over-time helping to get them certified.

Chris Dee Wrote:Or would we just clog the Parts Tracker with Hold votes for non-BFC and other trivial problems?

I would hope not. That wouldn't be me doing it.
Joshua Delahunty Wrote:
Chris Dee Wrote:Even if I were, why would this be a problem? 3814pc[1-7][1-9a-g].dat wouldn't even break the legacy 8.3 naming convention.

Did I have a tone? :-) No problem on my end. My implication was more one of getting the changeover done earlier, rather than later, with things expanding.

Not really, it just seemed to be a non sequitur.

I now believe I have implemented a "fast-track" review in the Parts Tracker, so that Admin reviews of trivial changes (title changes, renames) can go directly to "ready for release".
Chris Dee Wrote:I now believe I have implemented a "fast-track" review in the Parts Tracker, so that Admin reviews of trivial changes (title changes, renames) can go directly to "ready for release".

Excellent. Very quick and useful work Smile

Tim
Now that we have unnumbered series (Simpsons, The LEGO Movie) and I now count the Team GB mini-series in this category, we need a further range, so I have alllocated 973pdxy.dat (x=0 for Team GB, x=1 for Simpsons, x=2 for The LEGO Movie).

The reference page has been updated.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »