LDView 4.2 Beta 1 Released

Re: LDView 4.2 Beta 1 Released
Ah, this explains why maybe nobody has complained yet.

I'm not sure if this is something the AIOI should do.

I think that the LDView installer should take care of everything necessary,
without additional tweaking before or afterwards by the AIOI.
Thanks for the info. I'm not entirely sure I like all those defaults, but I'm guessing they're that way in order to produce faster rendering, which for thumbnails does make sense.
As far as I know, the AIOI does not directly use LDView's installer, but instead reproduces its behavior. This is done because LDView's installer really isn't designed to be packaged inside another.
I don't like those defaults, I better like

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\Sessions\Thumbnails]
"_SessionPlaceholder"="DO NOT DELETE."
"FullscreenWidth"=dword:00000280
"FullscreenHeight"=dword:000001e0
"FullscreenDepth"=dword:00000020
"DefaultColor3"=dword:00d3d3d3
"BackgroundColor3"=dword:00fbfae6
"Antialias"=dword:00000000
"LineSmoothing"=dword:00000001
"BFC"=dword:00000000
"ShowHighlightLines"=dword:00000001
"UseQualityLighting"=dword:00000001
"SubduedLighting"=dword:00000001
"UseSpecular"=dword:00000000
"DrawLightDats"=dword:00000000
"PerformSmoothing"=dword:00000000
"TextureStuds"=dword:00000001
"UseQualityStuds"=dword:00000001
"Texmaps"=dword:00000000
"CurveQuality"=dword:00000008
"RandomColors"=dword:00000000
"AllowPrimitiveSubstitution"=dword:00000000
"FOV"="10"
"LightVector"="0.282267,0.288104,0.915053"
"Seams"=dword:00000000
"BlackHighlights"=dword:00000000
"ShowFPS"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView\Sessions\Thumbnails\ExtraSearchDirs]
"Dir001"="D:\\LEGO\\ldraw\\lsynth"
Steffen Wrote:I think that the LDView installer should take care of everything necessary,
without additional tweaking before or afterwards by the AIOI.

The AIOI doesn't use the LDView installer at all. I prefer let he AIOI handle the single files, reg keys, ... - for the sake of interaction with all the other progs. Only POV-Ray uses its own installer 'cos of the redistributable license.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
ah, understood. thanks for the info.
I'm a big fan of your program, and I'd appriciate a PowerPC version.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to create one. Apple has made it either extremely difficult or outright impossible to create PowerPC binaries using the development tools in Snow Leopard (which is the OS on my only Mac).
I have a question for my users.

One of LDView's warnings is "Whitespace in filename..." Given that white space is officially allowed as per the current LDraw spec, do you feel that I should remove this warning from LDView?
I found this thread on the subject: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/53334...to-xcode-4

It looks like you'd have to intall Xcode 3. I have it on my system. I wonder if I could open your source files and compile them. Anyway, I'm just letting you know there is an audience for PowerPC if you happen to figure it out. Thanks for the great work so far.
Maybe keep it for files with .dat extension but strip it for models. I believe parts should still be whitespace free.

Tim
It looks like I had enough left on my computer from old installs (I upgraded it from Tiger to Snow Leopard, I think) to possibly make this work. Please try the build here:

http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/pri...07.tar.bz2
I think I like that. Plus, it makes my life easier, since it would take a fair bit of extra code to prevent the warning from showing up in the list of selected errors and warnings. (I can't just remove it from the list, because that would change the selected ones after it.) But do you think .dat is the best switch? Or should it be:
  • In LDraw/Parts, LDraw/Unofficial, or LDraw/p directory, or any subdirectory of the same OR
  • Contains part-specifying meta (like !LDRAW_ORG OFFICIAL_PART) OR
  • ? (I'm open for other suggestions.)
My suggestion was based purely on ease of implementation not robustness. Choosing by directory would probably be the best. If it's in any of those directories it really oughtn't have whitespace.

Tim
What's a whitespace?
Ascii code 0x20, character you get when you hit space bar on your keyboard, blank space between words, etc Wink
U-hu, and when is that considered to be an error?
Currently, LDView generates a warning when it encounters white space in the filename of an LDraw file in a type 1 line. When LDView 4.1 was released, this was perfectly reasonable, because even though LDView could load such files (using the same algorithm as MLCAD), the LDraw spec didn't mention how that should be done.

Since then, the LDraw spec has been updated to standardize the algorithm MLCAD uses, so warning about white spaces in filenames is no longer really a good idea. However, DAT files in the official library are not allowed to use spaces in their filenames, so I plan to go with Tim's suggestion, and leave the warning in, but only when processing a part, sub-part, or primitive.
Can someone with a PPC Mac please give the above build a try and let me know if it works? If I don't get any feedback on it, I probably won't include PPC in the official release.
I'm sorry I didn't write back sooner. I didn't check the forums because I wasn't expecting a response. It works great. Thank you very much for taking the time to accomodate me!
You're welcome. Glad to hear it works. I'll include PPC in the official 4.2 release.
I just tried to add a link to LDView in "file converters" section of LDraw website (I'm a bit tired of suggesting it to people that need to convert LDraw to other 3D formats Wink, but I couldn't ("ERROR: This URL is already listed in the database!"). Any way around?
Just wait a little while longer and we're going to switch to the new site
Any plans to port LDView to android?

I find this for java, but seems beta and dificult to compile for non-java programmers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHahOgDz7TQ

http://code.google.com/p/foo-org-ve/

By the way, version 4.2b1 runs ok on Ubuntu 12.04, ¡good job!

Regards
pillabichos Wrote:Any plans to port LDView to android?

No. I have no Android devices, and don't really plan to have any. Also, a port would be fairly difficult, since talking to native C++ code (which LDView is) from Java isn't very nice. Until two other LDraw viewers showed up for iOS, I had considered an iOS port, but iOS programs can easily talk to native C++ code.

pillabichos Wrote:I find this for java, but seems beta and dificult to compile for non-java programmers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHahOgDz7TQ

http://code.google.com/p/foo-org-ve/

If someone wants to make something out of that for Android, that's fine, but it wouldn't be LDView, since it's not related. And I won't be doing it; I used Java in my job for a while, and never grew to like it, so I'm not likely to do it for fun.

pillabichos Wrote:By the way, version 4.2b1 runs ok on Ubuntu 12.04, ¡good job!

Thanks. I'm glad it works there.
If you have an edge line overlapping a condline (eg. when a portion of cylinder meets a quad at an angle), it would be great if the smoothing action of the condline was disabled...
Thanks for the suggestion. I definitely agree, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to implement. I'll investigate.
I have some problems with this beta version,too. I'm running WinXP 64-bit and when I start the Ldview64.exe and load a model I don't see any thing. But if I switch to fullscreen I see my model perfectly. I also see it without problems when I turn the toolbar off. In that moment I turn the toolbar on it disappears again.
Yours is the first report of behavior like this, and I'm somewhat at a loss as to how to track down the problem. I do notice that when I toggle the toolbar, the model disappears, but as soon as I do anything after that, it reappears. I'll investigate fixing this, but it doesn't sound like the problem you're seeing. If you click and drag in the blank model area, does the model appear?
If I click in the blank area nothing happens- also the toolbar is cut off after the previous step button when I toggle the toolbar on again. And sometimes when I start LDView with toggled on toolbar I don't see the toolbar itself....
I also can not drag and drop a model file into LDView as long as the toolbar is on- there is no problem when the toolbar is off...

Don't now if this only a problem under WinXP 64 bit?
By the way I have OpenGL 4.2.0
Bit of an open door but: You might be loosing the OpenGL context somehow.
Could you try the 32-bit version? I don't have access to a 64-bit XP machine for testing, and I haven't seen anything like that in Vista or Windows 7.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I recreate the OpenGL context when the toolbar is toggled, but I'll have to check my code to be sure. I think I just show/hide the bar windows, and then resize the OpenGL window. (In LDView, the OpenGL window is a borderless sub-window of the main LDView window so that it's out of the way of the optional toolbar and status bar.)
So I tried the 32-bit version its works all fine- but like other already mentioned only over legacy install

I reported the bug of the 64-bit version so that the stable release of 4.2 don't will have this bug - It's no problem to use until the release of this one the 32 bit version....

Only thought that the 64-bit version could use more than one core (which could maybe an advantage with a i5 quadcore)....
All three versions will use more than one core, but LDView only uses multiple cores for transparency sorting (one extra core) and conditional edge line calculations (as many cores as are available). So, under many circumstances, it won't visibly be using all the cores.

Since I don't have access to a dev machine with XP 64, it's very unlikely I'll be able to track down the source of your problem before the official release, but thank you for reporting it. I really do appreciate all bug reports.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit / i7 950 /12 GB DDR3 SDRAM / Nvidia GeForce 460 (2x) / Samsung Syncmaster P2770

I was in despair ! I had a lot of troubles with LPub 4.0.0.11 in conjunction with LDView 4.1. With a relative complex design using a submodel repeated several times LPub was not able to finish up without crashing after about 80% of instructions generating. Reducing quality in LDView was helping a little bit but couldn't solve the problem. So I "discovered" your announcement about LDView 4.2 Beta and tried out the 64-Bit version. The result is phenomenal ! It runs 3 to 5 times faster and all the problems with cooperating between LPub and LDView are blown away !

Thanks Travis for this great upgrade ... You are the knight in shining armor :-)

Arthur

If you are able to "give away" some computing capacity install BOINC and help scientists to find a needle in a haystack (e.G. LIGO Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory)
-----
I know I am part of a story that starts long before I can remember and continues long beyond when anyone will remember me [Long Now: Danny Hillis, Desinger of the 10'000 Year Clock]
Any news on this?
Sorry, but no. It seems unlikely it will make it into the official 4.2, though, given how little time I've had to work on LDView lately, and how long it's taking me to get it out the door.
Sad
...But I can easily understand you!
Re: LDView 4.2 Beta 1 can't export to povray
LDView 4.2 beta1 can't export to povray correctly, I only get a contour:

[Image: busespacialmal.png]

It did work with older versions but now I use ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bits and older versions don't work anymore.

This is my hardware:

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
I will investigate. I've never seen that problem, but I haven't personally tested POV export on Linux (32-bit or 64-bit).
If you want to I can try it with a kubuntu distribution.

/Max
Re: LDView 4.2 Beta 1 32 bits export ok, 64 bits ko
I try again with 32 bits version export to povray runs ok.

But If I try to print ldview stop suddendly.
Will LDView 4.1 and 4.2 beta play nicely together if they are installed at the same time? 4.2 beta freezes often so I want to avoid using it except when I really need to for now. Thanks.
I can't remember why I decided to do this, but for L3P 1.4 beta output I do the following:

Code:
#version 3.7;

global_settings
{
    assumed_gamma    1.0
}

#macro gamma_color_adjust(in_color)
    #local out_gamma = 2.2;
    #local in_color = in_color + <0,0,0,0,0>;
    color rgbft
    <
        pow(in_color.red, out_gamma),
        pow(in_color.green, out_gamma),
        pow(in_color.blue, out_gamma),
        in_color.filter,
        in_color.transmit
    >
#end

// Floor
object
{
    plane { y, 4 hollow }
    texture
    {
        pigment
        {
            checker
            pigment {gamma_color_adjust(<067,084,029>/255)}
            pigment {gamma_color_adjust(<040,066,018>/255)}
        }
        finish { ambient L3Ambient diffuse L3Diffuse }
        translate <1/2,0,1/2>
        scale 640
        translate trans_amount
    }
}

I have to use the gamma_color_adjust macro every time there is a color definition. It is a pain, but it works.
They'll work fine together, but if you have Explorer thumbnails enabled, the behavior there could be strange. I'm pretty sure the Explorer thumbnails feature will use the version of LDView that has been run most recently. So, if you run LDView 4.1 to view a model, then browse to a directory containing LDR files, Explorer will generate thumbnails using LDView 4.1. If you then run LDView 4.2 to view some other model, Explorer will then generate thumbnails using LDView 4.2.

So, if you are experiencing crashes in LDView 4.2, it might be best not to have the Explorer thumbnails feature enabled. Note that unless you know how to use regsvr32 /u, the only way to disable the thumbnails feature is to uninstall LDView. (You can then reinstall LDView with that option disabled in the installer.)
Part loading problem
the motor X581C01.dat don't loads right- it throws a part missing error out : x581s01.dat and x581s01.dat are missing. ( error loading submodel).
But this subpart are in my unofficial folder (in the s folder), where the X581C01.dat reference to.
So why is it not loaded correctly?
By the way SR 3D builder loads it completely.
Re: LDView 4.2 Beta 1 - illegal characters when exporting
Some of my models have "+", "-" and similar characters in their file names. This is not a problem until you try to export them to POV-Ray, which doesn't allow them.

I'm not sure what to do in this case. Does LDView need to be modified to handle them? There should be a warning whatever the case.
Re: LDView 4.2 Beta 1 - illegal characters when exporting
My developer code now has a big list of special characters in the POV exporter (much bigger than before). In addition to space and tab, all of the following characters will be replaced:

Code:
.-/\#:!()[]{}&~`@$%^*+='";|?<>,
Re: Part loading problem
I just downloaded x581c01.dat into my Unofficial/parts folder, and then loaded it from there. LDView automatically downloaded the subparts into Unofficial/parts/s, and the file loaded fine. When you say "unofficial folder (in the s folder)", do you mean Unofficial/parts/s? Because if you put the files elsewhere, it probably won't work.

Also, if you enable LDView's automatic download of unofficial parts, it should download the subfiles automatically (and the motor itself also, if you load a file that references it).

Are you by any chance running on Linux? Because I notice you're using capital letters in the filenames, and that might cause problems on Linux on a case-sensitive file system. However, if you let LDView download the files for you, there shouldn't be a problem.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »