Updating the 2x2 round family?

Updating the 2x2 round family?
Right now this is just a question, before I propose to actually do anything…but have we ever considered improving the geometry of the 2x2 round family of parts?
  • Brick 3941
  • Plate 4032
  • Tile 4150
  • etc.…

Specifically, the area around the stud notches tends to be 16-sided, non-primitive geometry, which matches well with the 16-sided curved prims that make up the bulk of the parts. But when rendered with prim sub, there is a noticeable flattening and/or seams around the stud notches.

I assume the easiest approach would be to upgrade the curved prims to hi-res versions, and to increase the number of facets in the non-prim geometry around the stud notches to match. But I wondered if this has ever been proposed before, and whether any consensus was reached on whether or how to go about it?
RE: Updating the 2x2 round family?
That will also affect a number of patterns and stickers.

What I stumbled over as well is that stickers on such surfaces will be "overwritten" by the Prim Substitution..., Like the stickerts on the bottom of the Santa Fe Locomotive
(2023-01-27, 17:18)Gerald Lasser Wrote: That will also affect a number of patterns and stickers.

What I stumbled over as well is that stickers on such surfaces will be "overwritten" by the Prim Substitution..., Like the stickerts on the bottom of the Santa Fe Locomotive

Indeed, this complicates the brick, but the plate and tile should be unaffected. There don't seem to be any patterned versions of the plate yet, and the tile is always patterned on the top surface. These patterns all appear to have a margin around them, so an aring should bridge the gap in those cases, no?

As for the brick, this is basically the same problem as with the minifig heads. Because the pattern is essentially "baked in" to the geometry, we can't increase the resolution without re-making the pattern. Is this an argument for more widespread use of TEXMAP?
How can we find formed stickers that apply to round 2x2 brick? Not sure there are that many, and I found only 1 patterned brick. As noticed by N. W. Perry, the tiles 2x2 should be easy to change (several already include an ering)

(2023-01-28, 5:30)N. W. Perry Wrote: Is this an argument for more widespread use of TEXMAP?
This is THE argument Wink
(2023-01-28, 8:55)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: How can we find formed stickers that apply to round 2x2 brick? 

Maybe we should add an "applied to" keyword part number to formed stickers?
(2023-01-28, 5:30)N. W. Perry Wrote: Indeed, this complicates the brick, but the plate and tile should be unaffected.

This will affect all the parts using the truncated studs, like stud6 and stud10, since all the truncated studs need to be changed.
(2023-01-28, 12:31)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: This will affect all the parts using the truncated studs, like stud6 and stud10, since all the truncated studs need to be changed.
Or we could use a different stud for these updated parts. I used a stud17 in a similar situation here:
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...749s01.dat
(2023-01-28, 12:31)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: This will affect all the parts using the truncated studs, like stud6 and stud10, since all the truncated studs need to be changed.

And the studs could use updating anyway; as we have them they’re flush with the side of the part, but in real life they’re not.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »