LDraw Library Year in Review - 2022

LDraw Library Year in Review - 2022
A LDraw.org Part Library Year in Review 2022:

Timeline:
January:
  - Chris Dee stepped down as parts library admin. Orion Pobursky took his place.
  - Update 2022-01 released with 568 new parts
February:
  - The Contributor's Agreement was updated to bump the library license to CC By 4.0
  - The inclusion of Helper parts was approved
March:
  - Update 2022-02 released with 196 new parts and a complete overhaul of the axlehole primitives.
May:
  - Update 2022-03 released with 328 new parts and a complete overhaul of the axle2hol primitives.
July:
  - Update 2022-04 released with 391 new parts.
September:
  - Update 2022-05 released with 393 new parts.
December:
  - Update 2022-06 released with 333 new parts.

Stats:
Total Files: 4332
New Files: 3374
New Parts: 2209
New Primitives (all types): 191
New texmap images: 66

Thoughts:
This was a banner year for LDraw! We released a record number of new parts this beating our previous record by almost 500 parts. This is all due to the continued efforts of our parts authors and reviewers. Without them, the library simply wouldn't exist. I was unsure of myself when I volunteered to fill the Admin spot as Chris's legacy loomed large. Now that I've done the job for a year, I have a deeper appreciation for all of his effort. Thanks again to Chris for all the years he steered this huge machine.

Now to the big announcement:
The Parts Tracker is being updated!
The live beta can be found here: https://library.ldraw.org/tracker

The coding is mostly finished with a few rough edges to sand off and some additional features to add back in. The "go live" date is still TBD but I'm shooting for the beginning of February. I'm focusing on feature parity with the old PT. Once that is done, I can start adding refinements. Eventually the OMR and the Documentation parts of the LDraw site will move here as well but that's in the future.

Have a look. Play around. If you find a bug or have a feature request, please submit them to the github project:
https://github.com/ldraw-org/ldraworg-library
RE: LDraw Library Year in Review - 2022
It really has been a wild year in terms of part releases! Kudos to everyone involved!

An amazing amount of work has gone into the reviews and the packaging of the releases. Given the fact how many items were shipped, a steady supply of newly authored parts can be seen on the history chart. Having unfortunately been quiet for the last three months, I do have time again to pick up reviewing an authoring.

Looking forward to the new PT!
Impressive numbers! What scars me to death, tough is that there are still sitting 6090 files on the PT.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
I have some ideas on how to make reviewing easier but those will have to wait for now.
(2023-01-05, 19:16)Willy Tschager Wrote: Impressive numbers! What scars me to death, tough is that there are still sitting 6090 files on the PT.

w.

Indeed!
(2023-01-05, 19:24)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I have some ideas on how to make reviewing easier but those will have to wait for now.

Reviewing isn’t that hard, but it takes time to test and play with the parts, check against pictures etc.
Actually I have really no idea what should be done, that it will take less time.
Right now it takes 3 clicks to review a single part and then you have to click back to the parent to review the subfiles. Multiply that by however many subfiles and it takes forever to fully review a part. I want to make that easier.
(2023-01-05, 20:58)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Right now it takes 3 clicks to review a single part and then you have to click back to the parent to review the subfiles. Multiply that by however many subfiles and it takes forever to fully review a part. I want to make that easier.

I have to open any single file anyway.
I just open the parent, and then all the subfiles in reference order in single tabs, check them, vote and write my comment in each tab. When everything is done I submit through the tabs.
(2023-01-05, 20:58)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Right now it takes 3 clicks to review a single part and then you have to click back to the parent to review the subfiles. Multiply that by however many subfiles and it takes forever to fully review a part. I want to make that easier.

Do you have in mind something like multi-review?
Maybe. Idk. I'm trying not to distract myself with "good ideas" and focus on core feature parity. That said, I did make a few decisions that depart from the existing PT (like getting rid of novote and having an explicit "admin certify" vote) that will, hopefully, allow for more admin review.
Nice work! I didn't submit much last year but I learned a lot.

Regarding the new PT. I hope it will be given some more love on mobile. Right now the site is broken for mobile.
(2023-01-05, 22:07)Max Martin Richter Wrote: I have to open any single file anyway.
I just open the parent, and then all the subfiles in reference order in single tabs, check them, vote and write my comment in each tab. When everything is done I submit through the tabs.

+1
LEGO ergo sum
(2023-01-06, 4:38)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Maybe. Idk. I'm trying not to distract myself with "good ideas" and focus on core feature parity. That said, I did make a few decisions that depart from the existing PT (like getting rid of novote and having an explicit "admin certify" vote) that will, hopefully, allow for more admin review.

Gettin' rid off "novote" is an excellent idea!

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2023-01-06, 6:16)Fredrik Hareide Wrote: Regarding the new PT. I hope it will be given some more love on mobile. Right now the site is broken for mobile.

On my Android it's working like a champ.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2023-01-05, 14:16)Gerald Lasser Wrote:  Having unfortunately been quiet for the last three months, I do have time again to pick up reviewing an authoring.

This is good news indeed. The oldtimers:

are still waiting for you. ;-)

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2023-01-05, 19:16)Willy Tschager Wrote: Impressive numbers! What scars me to death, tough is that there are still sitting 6090 files on the PT.

w.

Maybe it’s time I get myself some reviewer privileges. (Maybe I already have them?) There are many subtleties I have yet to learn, but I might be useful for some of the more routine stuff…
(2023-01-06, 10:45)Willy Tschager Wrote: On my Android it's working like a champ.

w.

Same here, works about right on my phone
(2023-01-06, 6:16)Fredrik Hareide Wrote: Nice work! I didn't submit much last year but I learned a lot.

Regarding the new PT. I hope it will be given some more love on mobile. Right now the site is broken for mobile.

It will. I'm aware of the menu issue.
(2023-01-06, 21:22)Orion Pobursky Wrote: It will. I'm aware of the menu issue.

Great! Yep, it's the menu issue and overflow of text. Other than that it looks good! 👍
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »