Armor vs Armour

Armor vs Armour
Hi all,

The other day I was looking for a certain minifig armor piece that fits around the neck.
Searching in LDCad with keyword or description for Armor gave other parts than Armour.

I think we should be consistant in either spelling using Armor or Armour. Perhaps both?
Can we generate a list of parts that have Armor or Armour in their description and/or keywords and make it consistant?

Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: Armor vs Armour
Only one spelling is correct, but many of the parts have the other spelling as a keyword. Hence the difference, if you search like that.
(2022-09-06, 10:32)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Only one spelling is correct, but many of the parts have the other spelling as a keyword. Hence the difference, if you search like that.

Ok, how do I find/search all armor parts? I still think we should make it consistant.
Either we use one spelling in the description and the other as keyword, or vice versa.

What spelling do we find correct?

"Armor is the American spelling of the noun meaning a protective covering. Armour is the preferred spelling in all the other main varieties of English. Other than the spelling, there is no difference between the words."

Hence, I think we should use "Armour"

I see many patterned parts use Armour in the description.

That leaves, I believe, this list that uses Armor:

30174.dat Minifig Armor Samurai
11097.dat Minifig Armor Shoulder Pads with 1 Stud on Front, 2 Studs on Back
15086.dat Minifig Armor Shoulder Pads with Neck Protection, 1 Stud on Front, 2 Studs on Back
11438.dat Minifig Armor Shoulder Pads with Ridges
3815cm0.dat Minifig Hips and Legs with LOTR Leather Armor Pattern
3815pm1.dat Minifig Hips with LOTR Dark Red Belt & Scale Armor Pattern
3815pm0.dat Minifig Hips with LOTR Leather Armor Pattern
3817pm0.dat Minifig Leg Left with LOTR Leather Armor Pattern
3817pm1.dat Minifig Leg Left with LOTR Scale Armor Pattern
3816pm0.dat Minifig Leg Right with LOTR Leather Armor Pattern
3816pm1.dat Minifig Leg Right with LOTR Scale Armor Pattern
973paw.dat Minifig Torso with Armor Vest, Silver Wolf Head and Blue Round Jewel Pattern
973pm5.dat Minifig Torso with LOTR Armor, Brown Belt & Gold Buckle Pattern
973pm0.dat Minifig Torso with LOTR Leather Armor with Buckle Pattern
973pma.dat Minifig Torso with LOTR Orc Leather Armor Pattern
973pm6.dat Minifig Torso with LOTR Scale Armor and Belt Pattern
973pav.dat Minifig Torso with Silver Armor Front and Back and Drill Pattern
973p45.dat Minifig Torso with Studded Armor Pattern
973prb.dat Minifig Torso with SW Blast Armor (Green Plates) Bl.Grey Pattern
973psb.dat Minifig Torso with SW Blast Armor (Green Plates) Grey Pattern
973psj.dat Minifig Torso with SW Blast Armor (Silver Plates) Pattern
973prc.dat Minifig Torso with SW Blast Armor (Uncoloured Plates) Pattern
15068p01.dat Slope Brick Curved  2 x  2 x  0.667 with Wolf Armor and Eyes Pattern
53543.dat Technic Bionicle Toa Inika Thigh Armor

Then we should change the spelling for these?

Is there a quick way to find out what keyword is used?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
Jaco, your late:

https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-13244-po...l#pid13249

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2022-09-06, 11:50)Willy Tschager Wrote: Jaco, your late:

https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-13244-po...l#pid13249

w.

Beter late than not. I understand this is a major undertaking, so I rather thought I'd bring it up again.

This not only concerns the Minifig body Armor pieces.

I can make a list to fasttrack them through the PT, but first we have to agree to some things, like I mentioned.

Do we change the descriptions that have Armor to Armour? I see in the thread you mention we go for Armour!
Do we add keywords Armor and Armour of choose to use one keyword, namely Armour?

---

This is the same issue we had with Tire vs Tyre.
Only two parts remain

87079p0a.dat Tile  2 x  4 with Tire Half with "Jo's Garage" and "BY ACCIDENT WE MEET" Pattern has Tire in description.

3641.dat Tyre  6/ 50 x  8 Offset Tread has keyword Tire
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
As usual, if someone wants to send me the corrected files I'll submit and fast track them. If it happen soon enough, they'll go out with the next update (which will be soon).
(2022-09-06, 12:31)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Do we change the descriptions that have Armor to Armour? I see in the thread you mention we go for Armour!
Do we add keywords Armor and Armour of choose to use one keyword, namely Armour?

"Armor" is American English. We use the Aussie version:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction...ish/armour

"Armor" in the keywords is fine. You cannot add "Armour" to the keywords if it is part of the description:

https://www.ldraw.org/article/340.html#keywords

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2022-09-06, 13:22)Willy Tschager Wrote: "Armor" is American English. We use the Aussie version:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction...ish/armour

"Armor" in the keywords is fine. You cannot add "Armour" to the keywords if it is part of the description:

https://www.ldraw.org/article/340.html#keywords

w.

Yes, we should use Australian English "armour", the same as "colour vs color" discussion (we use "colour", except for proper names like "Color Line Ferry").
(2022-09-06, 13:48)Takeshi Takahashi Wrote: Yes, we should use Australian English "armour", the same as "colour vs color" discussion (we use "colour", except for proper names like "Color Line Ferry").

Why exactly is Australian English used tho?
(2022-09-06, 15:14)Max Murtazin Wrote: Why exactly is Australian English used tho?

James Jessiman, the creator of the file format was Australian and the original LDraw parts therefore are named in Australian English.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2022-09-06, 13:19)Orion Pobursky Wrote: As usual, if someone wants to send me the corrected files I'll submit and fast track them. If it happen soon enough, they'll go out with the next update (which will be soon).

Shouldn't the edited files also be updated with eventual missing pattern reference numbers? Set numbers?
(2022-09-06, 15:44)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Shouldn't the edited files also be updated with eventual missing pattern reference numbers? Set numbers?

Yes. Any corrected parts need to conform to the current part guidelines.
This thread has a lot of replies, and while there may be consensus about what should be done, I'm not personally picking that up from the replies so far. I would like to propose:

1. All armor/armour parts should use "armour" in their description, not "armor".
  2. All parts with "armour" in their description include a keyword entry of "armor".

I apologize if the above two points were already agreed on here, and I just misread.
I agree.
(2022-09-06, 21:19)Travis Cobbs Wrote: This thread has a lot of replies, and while there may be consensus about what should be done, I'm not personally picking that up from the replies so far. I would like to propose:

1. All armor/armour parts should use "armour" in their description, not "armor".
  2. All parts with "armour" in their description include a keyword entry of "armor".

I apologize if the above two points were already agreed on here, and I just misread.

Agree. Also, if there are any other us/uk/au differences for keyword in the name that follow the same or similar pattern (color/colour, center/centre, etc.), they could also use some treatment
For what it's worth, I think the keyword thing is overkill and unnecessary. I am, however, willing to bow to consensus on this.
(2022-09-06, 21:52)Orion Pobursky Wrote: For what it's worth, I think the keyword thing is overkill and unnecessary. I am, however, willing to bow to consensus on this.

OK, I will rename the parts and upload them here for you.
I will remove the keyword.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2022-09-06, 11:21)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Ok, how do I find/search all armor parts? I still think we should make it consistant.
Either we use one spelling in the description and the other as keyword, or vice versa.

What spelling do we find correct?

"Armor is the American spelling of the noun meaning a protective covering. Armour is the preferred spelling in all the other main varieties of English. Other than the spelling, there is no difference between the words."

Hence, I think we should use "Armour"

I see many patterned parts use Armour in the description.

That leaves, I believe, this list that uses Armor:

30174.dat Minifig Armor Samurai
11097.dat Minifig Armor Shoulder Pads with 1 Stud on Front, 2 Studs on Back
15086.dat Minifig Armor Shoulder Pads with Neck Protection, 1 Stud on Front, 2 Studs on Back
11438.dat Minifig Armor Shoulder Pads with Ridges
3815cm0.dat Minifig Hips and Legs with LOTR Leather Armor Pattern
3815pm1.dat Minifig Hips with LOTR Dark Red Belt & Scale Armor Pattern
3815pm0.dat Minifig Hips with LOTR Leather Armor Pattern
3817pm0.dat Minifig Leg Left with LOTR Leather Armor Pattern
3817pm1.dat Minifig Leg Left with LOTR Scale Armor Pattern
3816pm0.dat Minifig Leg Right with LOTR Leather Armor Pattern
3816pm1.dat Minifig Leg Right with LOTR Scale Armor Pattern
973paw.dat Minifig Torso with Armor Vest, Silver Wolf Head and Blue Round Jewel Pattern
973pm5.dat Minifig Torso with LOTR Armor, Brown Belt & Gold Buckle Pattern
973pm0.dat Minifig Torso with LOTR Leather Armor with Buckle Pattern
973pma.dat Minifig Torso with LOTR Orc Leather Armor Pattern
973pm6.dat Minifig Torso with LOTR Scale Armor and Belt Pattern
973pav.dat Minifig Torso with Silver Armor Front and Back and Drill Pattern
973p45.dat Minifig Torso with Studded Armor Pattern
973prb.dat Minifig Torso with SW Blast Armor (Green Plates) Bl.Grey Pattern
973psb.dat Minifig Torso with SW Blast Armor (Green Plates) Grey Pattern
973psj.dat Minifig Torso with SW Blast Armor (Silver Plates) Pattern
973prc.dat Minifig Torso with SW Blast Armor (Uncoloured Plates) Pattern
15068p01.dat Slope Brick Curved  2 x  2 x  0.667 with Wolf Armor and Eyes Pattern
53543.dat Technic Bionicle Toa Inika Thigh Armor

Then we should change the spelling for these?

Is there a quick way to find out what keyword is used?

Since I have LDraw on many computer, I see my list here is somewhat out of date. Therfore appologies.
Most parts are already done Armor > Armour.
Those that remain, I will correct and post for Orion to fasttrack through the PT
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2022-09-07, 8:08)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: OK, I will rename the parts and upload them here for you.
I will remove the keyword.

Parts that remain that have Armor are

973psu.dat Minifig Torso with SW Armor Clone Trooper Pattern (Clone Wars)
973psi.dat Minifig Torso with SW Imperial Trooper Armor Pattern
22385p045.dat Tile  3 x  2 with Angled End with Nexo Power Shield Pattern - Haunted Armor
22385p126.dat Tile  3 x  2 with Angled End with Nexo Power Shield Pattern - Magic Anti Evil Ultra Armor Upgrade
22385p020.dat Tile  3 x  2 with Angled End with Nexo Power Shield Pattern - Ultra Armor Activate

Do we change Armor to Armour here?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2022-09-07, 10:38)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Parts that remain that have Armor are

973psu.dat Minifig Torso with SW Armor Clone Trooper Pattern (Clone Wars)
973psi.dat Minifig Torso with SW Imperial Trooper Armor Pattern
22385p045.dat Tile  3 x  2 with Angled End with Nexo Power Shield Pattern - Haunted Armor
22385p126.dat Tile  3 x  2 with Angled End with Nexo Power Shield Pattern - Magic Anti Evil Ultra Armor Upgrade
22385p020.dat Tile  3 x  2 with Angled End with Nexo Power Shield Pattern - Ultra Armor Activate

Do we change Armor to Armour here, being "proper names"?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
SW Clone Trooper Armour Pattern (Clone Wars)
SW Imperial Trooper Armour Pattern

May be?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2022-09-06, 21:52)Orion Pobursky Wrote: For what it's worth, I think the keyword thing is overkill and unnecessary. I am, however, willing to bow to consensus on this.

I would tend to agree. I'm no expert, but surely this is something that can be handled by search algorithms themselves.
(2022-09-07, 16:00)N. W. Perry Wrote: I would tend to agree. I'm no expert, but surely this is something that can be handled by search algorithms themselves.

OK, I've changed my mind. Alternative spelling as a must in the keywords, is unnecessary.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »