LDCad Changing model quality

Changing model quality
Hi! 

Like in subject: is there a way to change the model quality in LDCad? 

I would like to get lower level of quality. I mean not rendering quality in program, but the whole model and ldr file. I not certain what determines the size of mpd files (this is ldr file after "packing" with LDrawLoader in Three JS) and I try to find a method to decrease the file's size and usage of CPU and memory. Of course I also asked similar question on Three JS forums.
RE: Changing model quality
(2022-05-13, 3:49)Lenny Wrote: Hi! 

Like in subject: is there a way to change the model quality in LDCad? 

I would like to get lower level of quality. I mean not rendering quality in program, but the whole model and ldr file. I not certain what determines the size of mpd files (this is ldr file after "packing" with LDrawLoader in Three JS) and I try to find a method to decrease the file's size and usage of CPU and memory. Of course I also asked similar question on Three JS forums.

The only way to change what you want is by using a different LQ library or add a second library with LQ parts (like the boxer parts) which you then use to replace parts inside the model.

For example you can replace all bricks in a wall with the boxed version except for the top and bottom ones.

The reason those packed three js files are bigger is probably because they contain the flattened mesh of all parts the source model uses.

LDraw models (usually) don't hold the actual 3d data, they only specify which brick is where in what color.
RE: Changing model quality
(2022-05-13, 19:03)Roland Melkert Wrote: The only way to change what you want is by using a different LQ library or add a second library with LQ parts (like the boxer parts) which you then use to replace parts inside the model.

For example you can replace all bricks in a wall with the boxed version except for the top and bottom ones.

The reason those packed three js files are bigger is probably because they contain the flattened mesh of all parts the source model uses.

LDraw models (usually) don't hold the actual 3d data, they only specify which brick is where in what color.

Thanks for answer and tips. I didn't know that is possible to see the content of ldr files using notepad (lxf files contain strange combinations of chars). Simple test revealed what is the problem: I just saved in your program ldr file with 1x1 white plate (pos: 0,0,0), size of ldr was under 1KB. Notepad show only this: "1 15 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3024.dat". 

After "packing" to mpd file the size increased to 43KB.
Mpd file includes simple explanation of calculating colors for edges etc., all colors' codes from LDraw, of course info about 1x1 plate and it's position and in the end a lot of informations about who, when and under what license created part.

Fragment of mpd file:
Code:
1 15 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 parts/3024.dat

0 FILE parts/3024.dat
0 Plate  1 x  1
0 Name: 3024.dat
0 Author: James Jessiman
0 !LDRAW_ORG Part UPDATE 2002-03
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see CAreadme.txt

0 BFC CERTIFY CCW

0 !HISTORY 2001-10-26 [PTadmin] Official Update 2001-01
0 !HISTORY 2002-05-07 [unknown] BFC Certification
0 !HISTORY 2002-06-11 [PTadmin] [...]

I think that such additional info doesn't requires a lot of computer resources Wink so the problem is rendering bricks and I'm going to replace some bricks as you advised.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »