Grainy surface marking

Grainy surface marking
As far as I'm aware, there is no way to mark surfaces on parts as "grainy", an effect most commonly known from 2x2 slope bricks. I think it would be good to have such thing, especially for being able to distinguish some possible clean and grainy variants (there are some iirc, but I might be wrong)
RE: Grainy surface marking
(2022-04-01, 9:54)Max Murtazin Wrote: As far as I'm aware, there is no way to mark surfaces on parts as "grainy", an effect most commonly known from 2x2 slope bricks. I think it would be good to have such thing, especially for being able to distinguish some possible clean and grainy variants (there are some iirc, but I might be wrong)

Another good topic that has seen some discussion before (long before). The most recent discussion envisioned an extension to the LDconfig to define material properties as well as colors, which enjoyed some support. Maybe this is the time we bring it to the finish line. :-)
(2022-04-01, 9:54)Max Murtazin Wrote: As far as I'm aware, there is no way to mark surfaces on parts as "grainy", an effect most commonly known from 2x2 slope bricks. I think it would be good to have such thing, especially for being able to distinguish some possible clean and grainy variants (there are some iirc, but I might be wrong)

Cloth, fabric, and string parts would also benefit from some kind of texture flag. As it is, I just build a list of special parts and apply the appropriate material, but it's always a possibility a part will or won't be processed if the list is wrong.
(2022-04-01, 22:54)Matthew Morrison Wrote: Cloth, fabric, and string parts would also benefit from some kind of texture flag. As it is, I just build a list of special parts and apply the appropriate material, but it's always a possibility a part will or won't be processed if the list is wrong.

Also it would be nice to categorize same way rubber and that soft plastic used for minifig and constractions weapons - both aren't actually some special colors, so would be good if they were treated as materials, if system that would allow that will be standardized
(2022-04-01, 23:21)Max Murtazin Wrote: Also it would be nice to categorize same way rubber and that soft plastic used for minifig and constractions weapons - both aren't actually some special colors, so would be good if they were treated as materials, if system that would allow that will be standardized

That's what the outstanding proposal would do: it would add material (or texture/surface/finish) types to the LDconfig file as a separate group of entries. These would combine with existing color codes to define both a color and a material for any type 1 line.

Of course, a color code alone would still be recognized, and would be used for the default plastic finish.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »