Suggestion: New Meta 0 !YEAR

Suggestion: New Meta 0 !YEAR
Hi,

While reviewing I came across some parts with Type 1 and Type 2 as description qualifier.
As we can surely describe the differences it's for sure sometimes hard for the (normal) user to know, which type he has to use. (Example 1/2 Technic Bushes, which are available in 4 different types. A normal user can surely find out, that the smooth version was introduced 1998, but the other types are hard to figure out.)

Therefore I would like to suggest introducing a new meta command !YEAR <xxxx> (optional < - yyyy>), where xxxx is the year the part is introduced and yyyy is the year the part is discontinued.

This command could be used by editors as an additional filter to get the right parts for modelling.

/Max
RE: Suggestion: New Meta 0 !YEAR
(2021-10-11, 15:05)Max Martin Richter Wrote: Hi,

While reviewing I came across some parts with Type 1 and Type 2 as description qualifier.
As we can surely describe the differences it's for sure sometimes hard for the (normal) user to know, which type he has to use. (Example 1/2 Technic Bushes, which are available in 4 different types. A normal user can surely find out, that the smooth version was introduced 1998, but the other types are hard to figure out.)

Therefore I would like to suggest introducing a new meta command !YEAR <xxxx> (optional < - yyyy>), where xxxx is the year the part is introduced and yyyy is the year the part is discontinued.

This command could be used by editors as an additional filter to get the right parts for modelling.

/Max

If the !YEAR meta is placed in a model file, it could also be used by the editor to suggest hints when the parts being used are of the wrong "vintage" for an official model. (This is a very inexact science, as many sets are shipped with different versions of the same part, often mixed together. But it could be used to catch glaring anachronisms, like using grooved tiles in a set from the 1960s.)
RE: Suggestion: New Meta 0 !YEAR
(2021-10-11, 16:48)N. W. Perry Wrote: If the !YEAR meta is placed in a model file, it could also be used by the editor to suggest hints when the parts being used are of the wrong "vintage" for an official model. (This is a very inexact science, as many sets are shipped with different versions of the same part, often mixed together. But it could be used to catch glaring anachronisms, like using grooved tiles in a set from the 1960s.)

This was my intention behind this idea. :-)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »