Use an External File as a Reference for a Subfile in LDCad?

Use an External File as a Reference for a Subfile in LDCad?
Question 
I don't know if I can explain this clearly, so I'll try to be as detailed as possible...
It is possible to create multiple subfiles for a given model, which are embedded in the main model file. I use that quite a bit, so I have a pretty good idea of how it all works...
Now is it possible to import File B into File A as a subfile, while keeping the latter IN SYNC with File B. This would be like editing a subfile for a model in a separate, external file.
This function would allow one to use a specific subfile in several models, and change this subfile for all models simultaneously. In other words, I want to create a "reference" subfile.
I don't know whether this is clear... Sorry for my clumsy explanation.
Peace all. ✌

--
G. D. Grant
RE: Use an External File as a Reference for a Subfile in LDCad?
Isn't this what Roland calls "nested editing"?

http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/advEdit
(2021-09-30, 16:42)G.D. Grant Wrote: I don't know if I can explain this clearly....

Adding to Magnus comment I think you are looking for using an external model inside another (like a mpd but using loose files).

You can do that by loading the second model and drag it from the part bin's 'all models' bin or by just drag/dropping it from e.g Windows file explorer onto a open model in LDCad.
(2021-09-30, 17:52)Roland Melkert Wrote: Adding to Magnus comment I think you are looking for using an external model inside another (like a mpd but using loose files).

You can do that by loading the second model and drag it from the part bin's 'all models' bin or by just drag/dropping it from e.g Windows file explorer onto a open model in LDCad.

Would the model remain external this way? I believe his intent is for the submodel to always be read from a library location on file open—in other words, to act like a part file.
(2021-09-30, 17:52)Roland Melkert Wrote: Adding to Magnus comment I think you are looking for using an external model inside another (like a mpd but using loose files).

There is the perfect solution for what I wanted to do.
Thank you again for your fast and clear response, Mr Melkert. It's very appreciated.

--
G. D. Grant
(2021-09-30, 23:28)N. W. Perry Wrote: Would the model remain external this way? I believe his intent is for the submodel to always be read from a library location on file open—in other words, to act like a part file.

Yes... The model remains external, and that's exactly what I wanted, as you guessed. Mr Melkert's solution solves this perfectly.
Cheers. Smile

--
G. D. Grant
(2021-10-01, 13:55)G.D. Grant Wrote: Yes... The model remains external, and that's exactly what I wanted, as you guessed. Mr Melkert's solution solves this perfectly.
Cheers. Smile

--
G. D. Grant

Wow, neat! I never knew this was possible, or that you could use relative paths in a subfile reference. (Meaning you could also accomplish this manually.)

I still learn something new about LDCad every day. :-)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »