MPD vs LDR files

MPD vs LDR files
What is the difference between MPD and LDR files? It will seem all the files from the LDraw Official Model Repository are MPD files.

And is there a way to convert MPD files to LDR files? It is possible to convert a LDR to a MPD file in LeoCAD but not the other way around.
RE: MPD vs LDR files
(2021-04-29, 3:26)yevillustd Wrote: What is the difference between MPD and LDR files? It will seem all the files from the LDraw Official Model Repository are MPD files.

And is there a way to convert MPD files to LDR files? It is possible to convert a LDR to a MPD file in LeoCAD but not the other way around.

The is no functional difference. Typically, MPDs are files that have one or more LDR file defined within them. All LDraw compliant software should be able to load and manipulate both.
(2021-04-29, 4:01)Orion Pobursky Wrote: The is no functional difference. Typically, MPDs are files that have one or more LDR file defined within them. All LDraw compliant software should be able to load and manipulate both.

I would add that all MPD files are LDR files (since the ldr extension wasn't introduced until after MPD had become standard), but not all LDR files are MPD files (since LDR files don't have to contain embedded sub-models). As Orion said, from a practical standpoint, it doesn't really matter. There is no such thing as converting from one format to the other, since they are the same format. If you don't like to see a file with a .mpd extension, feel free to rename it to .ldr; all the LDraw tools should still work fine.
(2021-04-29, 18:37)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I would add that all MPD files are LDR files (since the ldr extension wasn't introduced until after MPD had become standard), but not all LDR files are MPD files (since LDR files don't have to contain embedded sub-models). As Orion said, from a practical standpoint, it doesn't really matter. There is no such thing as converting from one format to the other, since they are the same format. If you don't like to see a file with a .mpd extension, feel free to rename it to .ldr; all the LDraw tools should still work fine.

Is there a way to confirm if LDR are the same as MPD file in their structure?

And is there a way to take an LDR file and break it up into sections, for example if you have a model that is a three story building you can break up each floor to being a LDR file within the file and then save that as a MPD file?
(2021-04-29, 3:26)yevillustd Wrote: What is the difference between MPD and LDR files? It will seem all the files from the LDraw Official Model Repository are MPD files.

There is also the XMPD format generated by MPDCenter. I don't know the technical details however.
So LDR files are meant for single models and mpd are for models with submodels. Both are structured the same way and to convert one to/from ldr and mpd, all is needed is to rename the file extension?
(2021-06-01, 18:08)yevillustd Wrote: So LDR files are meant for single models and mpd are for models with submodels. Both are structured the same way and to convert one to/from ldr and mpd, all is needed is to rename the file extension?

That is exactly the opposite of everything that has been stated in this thread. I will repeat my personal opinion: All LDraw models should use the LDR extension.

Even if somebody doesn't agree with me on that, the fact remains that it is OK to use the LDR extension for any LDraw model. (In other words, it is definitely not valid to claim that the LDR extension should not be used for "mpd" files.)
(2021-06-01, 19:22)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Even if somebody doesn't agree with me on that, the fact remains that it is OK to use the LDR extension for any LDraw model. (In other words, it is definitely not valid to claim that the LDR extension should not be used for "mpd" files.)

I think MLCad doesn't allow this. (I still use it.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »