LDraw AIOI, LDView, the LDraw parts library, and LGEO.xml

LDraw AIOI, LDView, the LDraw parts library, and LGEO.xml
I've been learning my way around rendering using LDView & POV-Ray. Along the way I've learnt about the basic/editor .dat part files, the much more detailed LGEO .inc files, and how LDView uses LGEO.xml to know when .inc part files are available, then the .dat files as a fallback in other cases. (Side note: Please let me know if I have any of that wrong!)

What I've discovered in my adventures is that the LGEO.xml file in use seems to be the one that resides in the LDView folder (C:\program files (x86)\Ldraw\LDView\), which comes with LDraw AIOI. I think in theory this should be synchronised with the .inc files available in the Ldraw parts library also installed in LDraw AIOI. However, for at least one part - 2815 technic tyre - the .inc file is in my parts library, but missing from my LGEO.xml file.

I have edited it in manually, and now my pov renders use the high resolution part.

I wonder though if I am missing something. How is LGEO.xml normally kept up to date / edited? Is there any automated tools, or official downloads that should maintain and update it?
RE: LDraw AIOI, LDView, the LDraw parts library, and LGEO.xml
(2020-10-21, 2:28)Ber Wrote: I wonder though if I am missing something. How is LGEO.xml normally kept up to date / edited? Is there any automated tools, or official downloads that should maintain and update it?

LGEO hasn't been updated for years and therefore there was no need to update the LGEO.xml as well. The game changer could be if Damien finishes his word on his on LGEO library - you have already found out.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2020-10-22, 14:31)Willy Tschager Wrote: LGEO hasn't been updated for years and therefore there was no need to update the LGEO.xml as well. The game changer could be if Damien finishes his word on his on LGEO library - you have already found out.

w.

Heya, thanks! So I'm not missing anything about this then Smile

So what do you reckon is up with the missing .inc file in my LGEO.xml? Is it just a random one-off mess up in the standard LGEO.xml file that I just happened to notice?
(2020-10-21, 2:28)Ber Wrote: I've been learning my way around rendering using LDView & POV-Ray. Along the way I've learnt about the basic/editor .dat part files, the much more detailed LGEO .inc files, and how LDView uses LGEO.xml to know when .inc part files are available, then the .dat files as a fallback in other cases. (Side note: Please let me know if I have any of that wrong!)

What I've discovered in my adventures is that the LGEO.xml file in use seems to be the one that resides in the LDView folder (C:\program files (x86)\Ldraw\LDView\), which comes with LDraw AIOI. I think in theory this should be synchronised with the .inc files available in the Ldraw parts library also installed in LDraw AIOI. However, for at least one part - 2815 technic tyre - the .inc file is in my parts library, but missing from my LGEO.xml file.

I have edited it in manually, and now my pov renders use the high resolution part.

I wonder though if I am missing something. How is LGEO.xml normally kept up to date / edited? Is there any automated tools, or official downloads that should maintain and update it?

I had the same thoughthere. Some .inc part seems not to be in the LGEO.xml file 30367 familiy for instance.
(2020-10-21, 2:28)Ber Wrote: I've been learning my way around rendering using LDView & POV-Ray. Along the way I've learnt about the basic/editor .dat part files, the much more detailed LGEO .inc files, and how LDView uses LGEO.xml to know when .inc part files are available, then the .dat files as a fallback in other cases. (Side note: Please let me know if I have any of that wrong!)

I created these things years ago:

https://github.com/mjhorvath/LGEO-Management-Tools

I no longer remember what they do, but they might help you.

Big Grin

I assembled all the LGEO parts except for Damien's newest ones too. But I can't upload them due to copyright/permissions.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »