What parts library does mecabricks.com use?

What parts library does mecabricks.com use?
Question 
What parts library does mecabricks.com use?

i can not find duplo parts except base bricks.
RE: What parts library does mecabricks.com use?
(2020-09-11, 1:58)Shi.Yan Wrote: What parts library does mecabricks.com use?

i can not find duplo parts except base bricks.

Mecabricks uses their own custom library. While they have shared with us in the past, you have to ask permission if you want import something from Mecabricks into the LDraw library.
(2020-09-11, 2:30)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Mecabricks uses their own custom library. While they have shared with us in the past, you have to ask permission if you want import something from Mecabricks into the LDraw library.

ldraw library is free and mature , why mecabricks does not use ldraw?
(2020-09-11, 2:39)Shi.Yan Wrote: ldraw library is free and mature , why mecabricks does not use ldraw?

I don't know. I'm sure the reason is something like this though: "I started my project and didn't know about LDraw. Once I learned about LDraw it was easier to write a converter to convert a model into my format than it was to recode my entire rendering engine" or "I was dissatisfied with how LDraw handled <issue> so I wrote my own LEGO CAD program to not include that <issue>". Both of those reasons are by far the most common for why a particular project doesn't natively use LDraw.

I might add that I don't really care. I help run LDraw but I'm not biased against other solutions. One day someone is going to come up with the solution that replaces LDraw as the best community run, open source LEGO CAD project. I look forward to that day.
Thumbs Up 
(2020-09-11, 14:47)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I don't know. I'm sure the reason is something like this though: "I started my project and didn't know about LDraw. Once I learned about LDraw it was easier to write a converter to convert a model into my format than it was to recode my entire rendering engine" or "I was dissatisfied with how LDraw handled <issue> so I wrote my own LEGO CAD program to not include that <issue>". Both of those reasons are by far the most common for why a particular project doesn't natively use LDraw.

I might add that I don't really care. I help run LDraw but I'm not biased against other solutions. One day someone is going to come up with the solution that replaces LDraw as the best community run, open source LEGO CAD project. I look forward to that day.

Explained very clearly Cool
(2020-09-11, 14:47)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I don't know. I'm sure the reason is something like this though: "I started my project and didn't know about LDraw. Once I learned about LDraw it was easier to write a converter to convert a model into my format than it was to recode my entire rendering engine" or "I was dissatisfied with how LDraw handled <issue> so I wrote my own LEGO CAD program to not include that <issue>". Both of those reasons are by far the most common for why a particular project doesn't natively use LDraw.

</snip>

I believe (though I can't find the information at the moment) that "Scrubs" (the author of Mecabricks) know about LDraw but wanted to more accurately model the bricks (e.g. part measurements in fractions of mm) than that offered by the LDraw standard. For most of us (me included), LDU's are a sufficiently good enough basis to use when model things. Scrubs wanted greater accuracy. If I manage to find the article where I read this, I will post a link.

Regards,

David
(2020-09-13, 2:55)David Manley Wrote: I believe (though I can't find the information at the moment) that "Scrubs" (the author of Mecabricks) know about LDraw but wanted to more accurately model the bricks (e.g. part measurements in fractions of mm) than that offered by the LDraw standard. For most of us (me included), LDU's are a sufficiently good enough basis to use when model things. Scrubs wanted greater accuracy. If I manage to find the article where I read this, I will post a link.

Regards,

David

thanks. I am expect the link.
(2020-09-13, 2:55)David Manley Wrote: I believe (though I can't find the information at the moment) that "Scrubs" (the author of Mecabricks) know about LDraw but wanted to more accurately model the bricks (e.g. part measurements in fractions of mm) than that offered by the LDraw standard. For most of us (me included), LDU's are a sufficiently good enough basis to use when model things. Scrubs wanted greater accuracy. If I manage to find the article where I read this, I will post a link.

Regards,

David

Not that I doubt this explanation, but would it actually be necessary to devise a whole new standard just for better accuracy? It seems like that info could be added to a file in the same way that other kinds of metadata are, like snapping info. In fact, I imagine it being a feature of a hypothetical LDraw 2.0—precise physical dimensions coded into parts, so as to allow more accurate and consistent rendering of seams between bricks, for example.
(2020-09-13, 6:52)N. W. Perry Wrote: Not that I doubt this explanation, but would it actually be necessary to devise a whole new standard just for better accuracy? It seems like that info could be added to a file in the same way that other kinds of metadata are, like snapping info. In fact, I imagine it being a feature of a hypothetical LDraw 2.0—precise physical dimensions coded into parts, so as to allow more accurate and consistent rendering of seams between bricks, for example.

Feels reasonable
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »