Looking for advices - first MOC

Looking for advices - first MOC
Hello,

i dived again in the lego world while buying sets for my son and craving to do them with him. But as I wanted to let him do them himself, I started to get frustrated Smile

And this is when I stumbled upon the beautiful RS2027 Vision set. And it astounding price point....

This is when I started using LDD and with the amount of pieces missing I went to LCAD. I started to reverse engineering the set with photos (from both the set and the real car).
I continue my search and found the lsit pieces and some user manual pages that helped me a lot to move on with the rebuilt.

However, i wanted something different from the original set so i digressed from the available models and tried to get closer to the real car.

And here I am, half of the car is done in LCAD and I wanted to get feedback on various elements for this MOC :
- Is it structurally sound (I have a concern with the base plate and its junctions)
- Are they "standards" to follow when doing a set ?
- Any other tips or tricks to help me ?

Thanks a lot.

Attached Files
.ldr   rs27vision.ldr (Size: 14.62 KB / Downloads: 18)
RE: Looking for advices - first MOC
(2020-05-15, 13:27)P1l0t3 Wrote: And here I am, half of the car is done in LCAD and I wanted to get feedback on various elements for this MOC :
- Is it structurally sound (I have a concern with the base plate and its junctions)
- Are they "standards" to follow when doing a set ?
- Any other tips or tricks to help me ?
Seem like a nice start, some notes:

- You are using rubber black for all black parts.
- Instead of grouping the tyres try using submodels that way you only have one assembly while using it 4 times as a 'single part'.
- The front spoiler I would move into a submodel too, but as it's only used once it a personal choice. Unless you're planing to make building instructions and want it assembled separately.

my 2cts
(2020-05-15, 19:02)Roland Melkert Wrote: Seem like a nice start, some notes:

- You are using rubber black for all black parts.
- Instead of grouping the tyres try using submodels that way you only have one assembly while using it 4 times as a 'single part'.
- The front spoiler I would move into a submodel too, but as it's only used once it a personal choice. Unless you're planing to make building instructions and want it assembled separately.

my 2cts

As Roland said, use submodels instead of groups, and steps. The main model should be a .mpd file.
About color, black for parts, rubber black for tyres and other rubber part
If you want to built it really, grey colors used since 2004 are 71 light bluish grey and 72 dark bluish grey. Windscreen in trans-black.
An instruction of a MOC of this F1 is freely downloadable at Rebrickable (not the original design by NKUBATE for Renault but close). An exemple for using steps.
(2020-05-15, 20:19)Marc Giraudet Wrote: As Roland said, use submodels instead of groups, and steps. The main model should be a .mpd file.
About color, black for parts, rubber black for tyres and other rubber part
If you want to built it really, grey colors used since 2004 are 71 light bluish grey and 72 dark bluish grey. Windscreen in trans-black.
An instruction of a MOC of this F1 is freely downloadable at Rebrickable (not the original design by NKUBATE for Renault but close). An exemple for using steps.

Thanks for the colour info. As stated, that is my first try.
The black used is from the tires, so yeah, newbie mistake here, I used it everywhere after. Silly me Smile
As for the submodels, this is me using LCAD on the surface and not diving into its functionnalities.
I will have to explore that to see how it can ease and facilitate any other built I would like to start.

I did find and use the MOC you are refering to, but only to confirm some piece arrangements. Will try to learn from the best Smile

But so far, you are not pointing any structural issues, so I'm glad.
I will look into buying the parts so I can do it live.
Thanks !
(2020-05-16, 13:07)P1l0t3 Wrote: Thanks for the colour info. As stated, that is my first try.
The black used is from the tires, so yeah, newbie mistake here, I used it everywhere after. Silly me Smile
As for the submodels, this is me using LCAD on the surface and not diving into its functionnalities.
I will have to explore that to see how it can ease and facilitate any other built I would like to start.

I did find and use the MOC you are refering to, but only to confirm some piece arrangements. Will try to learn from the best Smile

But so far, you are not pointing any structural issues, so I'm glad.
I will look into buying the parts so I can do it live.
Thanks !

For structural check I usually use http://stud.io/ it has a feature to check "Stability".
You can import your ldr file in there. And even if that is 100% sound, moving elements might have some challanges.

For example, I use plates to slides over in my "Klotski" MOCs (on rebrickable), in practise I found that even on a flat table there is works ok, but there is still to much margin between the bottom tiles to make fail proof always sliding smooth. So some stuff you'll only learn by building the actual model. Smile

And there is a real kick in having the model you worked digitally come to life in real bricks, certainly when it works like intended.
[color=gray]My LEGO MOC's with PDF building instructions and stop-motion animations can be found on https://rebrickable.com/users/BrickDesignerNL/mocs/[/color]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »