Technic 8854 Power Crane

Technic 8854 Power Crane
Hi there,

next model I'd like to contribute is 8854 Power Crane of 1989.

Done with LDCad 1.6c (Linux64).
Known issues: none.

The file should be OMR compliant, but it is very large - the rope and pneumatic hoses are very expensive in terms of LDraw-lines.
Please see the updated versions below, this one here is kept for discussion history reasons only.

As always all suggestions are warmly welcome.

Best regards
Stefan

Attached Files
.png   8854 - Power Crane.png (Size: 187.27 KB / Downloads: 63)
.mpd   8854 - Power Crane.mpd (Size: 1.32 MB / Downloads: 10)
RE: Technic 8854 Power Crane
(2020-02-04, 11:16)Stefan Frenz Wrote: The file should be OMR compliant, but it is very large - the rope and pneumatic hoses are very expensive in terms of LDraw-lines.
Hi Stefan,
Nice model! 1.3Mb is not that huge nowadays... but here it's easy to reduce file size drastically (down to 100K) by using LQ version of pneumatic hoses. Visually, it makes no difference for this model since the hoses are not tightly bent. Attached the converted version!

Attached Files
.mpd   8854 - Power Crane.mpd (Size: 103.12 KB / Downloads: 6)
(2020-02-04, 12:38)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Attached the converted version!
Hi Philippe,

thanks a lot! Smile  How (technically) did you replace the hoses? Did you "convert" the hoses or did you remove the old ones and inserted new ones? With your hint I tried to "just replace" the old ones with the LQ ones in my original file but did not succeed (LDCad said: "Templates can not be used to replace existing parts.").

Thanks again, I'm so happy with your feedback! Smile
Regards
Stefan
I used a brute force method: a text editor! I replaced all pneumatic hose skin lines
Code:
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=ldcPnuHoseSeg.dat] [donYSize=400%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=fitDon2Seg] [donPlace=deform] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=false] [segSize=100%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=0] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=10] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
with LQ skin line version
Code:
0 !LDCAD PATH_SKIN [donCol=16] [donOri=1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1] [donPart=166.dat] [donYSize=400%] [donCen=absCen] [donCenYOfs=0] [donFinScale=segMerge] [donPlace=refsStat] [donYAlign=0] [donInline=false] [segSize=75%] [segSizeTol=5%] [segsCnt=0] [segsGrp=0] [segsMaxMerge=0] [segsMrgAng=0] [segsMrgRollAng=0] [segsEdgeDelKind=keepFirstLeft]
Then, open the model in LDCad and force regeneration of dynamic content (Ctrl+Shift+F5) and save it.
Thank you for explaining! Looking at the file differences with meld I suspected this is the way to go. Smile

I'm not quite sure what "donFinScale" (changed from "fitDon2Seg" to "segMerge") and "donPlace" (changed from "deform" to "refsStat") mean, so I will play around with it as with "segSize" (changed from "100%" to "75%") and segsMaxMerge (changed from "10" to "0"). With your excellently converted file I always have a reference that I can rely on. Smile
(2020-02-04, 13:47)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Thank you for explaining! Looking at the file differences with meld I suspected this is the way to go. Smile

I'm not quite sure what "donFinScale" (changed from "fitDon2Seg" to "segMerge") and "donPlace" (changed from "deform" to "refsStat") mean, so I will play around with it as with "segSize" (changed from "100%" to "75%") and segsMaxMerge (changed from "10" to "0"). With your excellently converted file I always have a reference that I can rely on. Smile
Yes, there are a lot of parameters to play with... Eg. if you want to render your file with Studio photorealistic renderer, you have to set segsMaxMerge to 1. Otherwise the longer generated segments are shortened by the renderer (it's a bug!) and the hose becomes discontinuous!
Is there a thank-you-Philippe-button here? Wink  Again I would to use ++ there: Thank you again, Philippe! Smile

I played around and ended with your configuration and segSize=25% (I hope i did nothing wrong with that?), this seems to be nice even in the "corner-like" splines. Additionally, 4 sub-models (invented for the HQ-paths) are not needed any more, and I beautified a sub-models file name. So attached is the updated version based on Philippes suggestions.

Attached Files
.mpd   8854 - Power Crane.mpd (Size: 101.23 KB / Downloads: 6)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »