Substitute X with N on PT

Substitute X with N on PT
This has bugged my for years - and believe me I'm still not used to it. I do not understand why X has been chosen for NEW files. F for FIX seams logical. I therefore propose to change X with N on the PT.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
RE: Substitute X with N on PT
(2019-09-10, 13:49)Willy Tschager Wrote: This has bugged my for years - and believe me I'm still not used to it. I do not understand why X has been chosen for NEW files. F for FIX seams logical. I therefore propose to change X with N on the PT.

w.

x = unknown. Makes perfect sense. Big Grin
(2019-09-10, 13:49)Willy Tschager Wrote: This has bugged my for years - and believe me I'm still not used to it. I do not understand why X has been chosen for NEW files. F for FIX seams logical. I therefore propose to change X with N on the PT.

w.

I suggested "N" for "Needs Admin" to see that subfiles haves two votes: :-)
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23566.html

w.

Steve Bliss' original justification is documented in the 'Code legend' at the foot of the ptlist.cgi output

X - New part file. A file that wasn't previously in the official library. There isn't really a reason or mnemonic for X. N (for New) could be mistaken for 'N for No'.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
(2019-09-10, 21:19)Chris Dee Wrote: N (for New) could be mistaken for 'N for No'.

Well X could be mistaken for 'fiX'.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2019-09-11, 20:41)Willy Tschager Wrote: Well X could be mistaken for 'fiX'.

w.

Don't shoot the messenger - I was just conveying the developers justification, not defending it. I'll see how easy it would be to change this encoding.
(2019-09-11, 21:50)Chris Dee Wrote: Don't shoot the messenger - I was just conveying the developers justification, not defending it. I'll see how easy it would be to change this encoding.

The F=fix / X=new part encoding is less pervasive within the Parts Tracker than I feared - in fact I think it is merely a label and does not determine any conditional processing. I have made the change of X to N, but please look out for and report any strange side-effects.
(2019-09-10, 21:00)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I suggested "N" for "Needs Admin" to see that subfiles haves two votes: :-)
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23566.html

I'll follow up in that thread.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »