Converting a Large Scale Project into a generic 3D format

Converting a Large Scale Project into a generic 3D format
I am working on a very large lego project that has grown to over 100,000 legos. (See the attachment) My ultimate plan, after i populate it with people and vehicles, is to create a high quality video of the project flying over it like a drone or any other way i can capture it on video. My problem is that LDraw does not have the capablility to do a high quality rendering and fluid movement needed to make a fly over video.  

Henceforth i would like to be able to convert the whole project into a generic 3D format that would allow me to open it in other 3D programs that would give me more flexibility in filming something like this. 

any help i could get with this would be very much appreciated. 

the town is Montgomery, Indiana if anyone was wondering. 

kevin

RE: Converting a Large Scale Project into a generic 3D format
(2019-07-12, 0:36)kevlamar Wrote: Henceforth i would like to be able to convert the whole project into a generic 3D format that would allow me to open it in other 3D programs that would give me more flexibility in filming something like this.

LDView has some generic 3D format exports

LDCad itself has POV-Ray (animation) export, which you could use to do a 'fly-by' animation. You would need to script the camera movement manually though.
(2019-07-12, 17:35)Roland Melkert Wrote: LDView has some generic 3D format exports

LDView's 3DS export will in theory export to the 3DS format, but I will be very surprised if it works on such a large model. Also, I have had reports in the past that the 3DS files that LDView creates aren't compliant. So, even if it creates a file, the file might not be usable.
With a model that large you are not going to get smooth performance in any real-time application unless you have a powerful gaming computer. Sadly you're likely going to have to script the motions using a text editor. (POV-Ray for example.)
(2019-07-12, 17:35)Roland Melkert Wrote: LDView has some generic 3D format exports

LDCad itself has POV-Ray (animation) export, which you could use to do a 'fly-by' animation. You would need to script the camera movement manually though.
How do you access these generic 3d exports? i am unable to locate them.  Also where do i turn to get a stater course on pov-ray. i am new to 3d altogether and can use all the help i can get

than you.  

Kevin Graber
(2019-07-14, 10:47)Michael Horvath Wrote: With a model that large you are not going to get smooth performance in any real-time application unless you have a powerful gaming computer. Sadly you're likely going to have to script the motions using a text editor. (POV-Ray for example.)

I do have a decent video card Nvidia Geforce GTX 970.  scripting any kind of code with text is waaaaay above my level of expertise though.  Big Grin

do you know of anyone who would do it for hire?
(2019-07-18, 23:01)kevlamar Wrote: How do you access these generic 3d exports? i am unable to locate them.  Also where do i turn to get a stater course on pov-ray. i am new to 3d altogether and can use all the help i can get

than you.  

Kevin Graber
  • In LDView, select File->Export
  • Change the file type to 3DS: 3D Studio File
  • Hit Options to change the seam width setting if you want.
  • Enter a filename.
  • Hit Save
[attachment=3856 Wrote:Travis Cobbs pid='33279' dateline='1563498252']
  • In LDView, select File->Export
  • Change the file type to 3DS: 3D Studio File
  • Hit Options to change the seam width setting if you want.
  • Enter a filename.
  • Hit Save

Here is a screenshot. i dont have an export option.  what am i doing wrong

(2019-07-21, 14:25)kevlamar Wrote: Here is a screenshot. i dont have an export option.  what am i doing wrong
... You are using LDCad. Travis's suggestion was for LdView program...
(2019-07-21, 15:45)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: ... You are using LDCad. Travis's suggestion was for LdView program...

In LDCad you can open the export menu using alt+e

But it will only offer OpenGL and Pov-ray options
(2019-07-14, 10:47)Michael Horvath Wrote: With a model that large you are not going to get smooth performance in any real-time application unless you have a powerful gaming computer. Sadly you're likely going to have to script the motions using a text editor. (POV-Ray for example.)

thanks for the help so far. i am  just beginning to toy around with POV-Ray. Where would be the best place to fish around for a POV-Ray expert whom i could hire to do such code writing for me. 

also a few quick questions based on a few POV-Ray images i have generated. Mainly, notice how in the attached image on the front of the dollar general store there is too much reflection? how do i turn this down. it is like the legos are made of super high gloss material and needs to be matted some to make it more realistic. 

here are a few of the POV-Ray export features that i need explained to me. Is there a glossary somewhere that explains these?

1) assummed gamma  (value)
2) fake seams  (value)
3) radiosity (i think i have this one figured out)
4) fov corrections  (check/unchech)
5) gernerate  (check/unchech)
6) enable AA  (check/unchech)
7) thresshold  (value)
(2019-08-07, 15:27)kevlamar Wrote: here are a few of the POV-Ray export features that i need explained to me. Is there a glossary somewhere that explains these?

1) assummed gamma  (value)
2) fake seams  (value)
3) radiosity (i think i have this one figured out)
4) fov corrections  (check/unchech)
5) gernerate  (check/unchech)
6) enable AA  (check/unchech)
7) thresshold  (value)
I'm not sure you are talking specifically about LDCad's or LDView's povray export, but:

1: This has to do with display technology, for Povray 3.7 is should be 1.0 unless you are doing something artsy.
2: LDraw parts have no bevels so stacked bricks will show up like a single object. This option introduces small spaces inbetween parts to 'fake' the bevels so it looks more like real stacked bricks.
3: Lighting model, if enabled gives more realistic images but will be slower to render (especially on the HQ setting).
4: This is LDCad specific and will enable/disable composition correction in order to keep the framing identical (with some padding if needed) to how it was during export.
5: Don't know what you mean with that.
6: anti-aliasing an internet search can explain this in detail
7: This is a sub option which controls the anti-aliasing quality.
(2019-08-08, 18:34)Roland Melkert Wrote: I'm not sure you are talking specifically about LDCad's or LDView's povray export, but:

1: This has to do with display technology, for Povray 3.7 is should be 1.0 unless you are doing something artsy.
2: LDraw parts have no bevels so stacked bricks will show up like a single object. This option introduces small spaces inbetween parts to 'fake' the bevels so it looks more like real stacked bricks.
3: Lighting model, if enabled gives more realistic images but will be slower to render (especially on the HQ setting).
4: This is LDCad specific and will enable/disable composition correction in order to keep the framing identical (with some padding if needed) to how it was during export.
5: Don't know what you mean with that.
6: anti-aliasing an internet search can explain this in detail
7: This is a sub option which controls the anti-aliasing quality.

notice how in the attached image on the front of the dollar general store there is too much reflection? how do i turn this down. it is like the legos are made of super high gloss material and needs to be matted some to make it more realistic. 

(2019-08-15, 0:49)kevlamar Wrote: notice how in the attached image on the front of the dollar general store there is too much reflection? how do i turn this down. it is like the legos are made of super high gloss material and needs to be matted some to make it more realistic.

You need to edit the generated pov-ray script or change the source scripts LDCad uses to generate it.

Search for
#local ldrawPlasticFin=finish {

And just below it change the value
reflection 0.05
into e.g.
reflection 0.025

If you want any changes to be the default for newly exported stuff edit
%appdata%\LDCad\povray\default\colors.pov
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »