TEXMAP support added to the Parts Tracker

TEXMAP support added to the Parts Tracker
The Parts Tracker now supports the uploading of image files for the Texture Mapping Language Extension (TEXMAP).
It should all be working, including the detection of dependencies and rendering of the preview images, but if you find any problems, please post here.
There is still some work to do to support this in the Parts Update process, so TEXMAP parts may need to be excluded from the next parts update.
The revised version of the submit page now allows multiple files of the same type and destination folder to be uploaded in one batch.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
RE: TEXMAP support added to the Parts Tracker
Thanks a lot Chris! The batch submit mode is highly appreciated too.
Great!

ASAIK, there is already at least three official files with texmap content, but they are all missing the png-files.

Matched 3 files in the LDraw official parts library:
parts/19201p01.dat
Figure Elves Hair Long Wavy with Dark Azure Tips, Braid, Bangs and Light Flesh Elves Ears Pattern

parts/19204p01.dat
Figure Elves Hair Long Wavy with Ears with Yellow Tips and Medium Dark Flesh Ears Pattern

parts/3960p0b.dat
Dish 4 x 4 Inverted with White and Aqua Swirl Pattern
(2018-12-02, 14:48)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Great!

ASAIK, there is already at least three official files with texmap content, but they are all missing the png-files.

Matched 3 files in the LDraw official parts library:
parts/19201p01.dat
Figure Elves Hair Long Wavy with Dark Azure Tips, Braid, Bangs and Light Flesh Elves Ears Pattern

parts/19204p01.dat
Figure Elves Hair Long Wavy with Ears with Yellow Tips and Medium Dark Flesh Ears Pattern

parts/3960p0b.dat
Dish 4 x 4 Inverted with White and Aqua Swirl Pattern

Yes, just three. These have today been submitted to the Parts Tracker.
Seems to work fine! I just submitted the EV3 sticker textures. Regeneration of PT thumbnails takes a time, but they do show up Wink
I get an error message trying to upload an updated primitive:

Header errors:

LINE 2: Name line must contain actual filename 'axlecaph.dat.dat', not 'axlecaph.dat'

Looks like it has added an extra .dat to my file.
(2018-12-02, 14:58)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I get an error message trying to upload an updated primitive:

Header errors:

LINE 2: Name line must contain actual filename 'axlecaph.dat.dat', not 'axlecaph.dat'

OK - an unwanted side-effect of changes to submit.cgi. I'll take a look.
Nothing urgent, but maybe large images would need some scaling? see
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...13710g.png
(2018-12-02, 15:06)Chris Dee Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 14:58)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I get an error message trying to upload an updated primitive:

Header errors:

OK - an unwanted side-effect of changes to submit.cgi. I'll take a look.

This should be fixed now. Please re-try.
(2018-12-02, 15:18)Chris Dee Wrote: This should be fixed now. Please re-try.

Yes, it did.
But I had to use another browser to get an updated file back...
(2018-12-02, 15:10)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Nothing urgent, but maybe large images would need some scaling? see

For TEXMAP detail pages I have set the maximum display width for the image to 500px.
(2018-12-02, 15:34)Magnus Forsberg Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 15:18)Chris Dee Wrote: This should be fixed now. Please re-try.

Yes, it did.
But I had to use another browser to get an updated file back...

That sounds like a server cache issue, which has been reported before, since the server move (hidden in a part review, IIRC). I'll mention it to Orion.
(2018-12-02, 15:38)Chris Dee Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 15:10)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Nothing urgent, but maybe large images would need some scaling? see

For TEXMAP detail pages I have set the maximum display width for the image to 500px.

You have set a max-width on the <a> tag surrounding the image. That's fine, but now the image is cut off at 500px. If you add

max-width: 100%
height: auto

to the image tag itself, it will automatically scale (with a max of 500px)
(2018-12-02, 14:55)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Seems to work fine! I just submitted the EV3 sticker textures. Regeneration of PT thumbnails takes a time, but they do show up Wink

Images on the TEXMAP detail pages should appear immediately, because there is no rendering involved. Preview images of the parent .dat file are rendered asynchronously, so may take a while, but I'm not convinced a refresh is currently being triggered by the submission of the TEXMAP image.
(2018-12-02, 15:49)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 15:38)Chris Dee Wrote: For TEXMAP detail pages I have set the maximum display width for the image to 500px.

You have set a max-width on the <a> tag surrounding the image. That's fine, but now the image is cut off at 500px. If you add

max-width: 100%
height: auto

to the image tag itself, it will automatically scale (with a max of 500px)

Thanks - I should have known that!
(2018-12-02, 15:55)Chris Dee Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 14:55)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Seems to work fine! I just submitted the EV3 sticker textures. Regeneration of PT thumbnails takes a time, but they do show up Wink

Images on the TEXMAP detail pages should appear immediately, because there is no rendering involved. Preview images of the parent .dat file are rendered asynchronously, so may take a while, but I'm not convinced a refresh is currently being triggered by the submission of the TEXMAP image.

Indeed, it seems that so far only this one http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...13710a.dat got a preview thumbnail...
(2018-12-02, 16:13)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 15:55)Chris Dee Wrote: Images on the TEXMAP detail pages should appear immediately, because there is no rendering involved. Preview images of the parent .dat file are rendered asynchronously, so may take a while, but I'm not convinced a refresh is currently being triggered by the submission of the TEXMAP image.

Indeed, it seems that so far only this one http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...13710a.dat got a preview thumbnail...

Yes, I triggered that myself! So there is a problem, which I will investigate.
(2018-12-02, 14:11)Chris Dee Wrote: The Parts Tracker now supports the uploading of image files for the Texture Mapping Language Extension (TEXMAP).

Thanks Chris! Now it is high time that we pick up this old thread and bring it to a happy ending:

Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-12-02, 16:19)Chris Dee Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 16:13)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Indeed, it seems that so far only this one http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...13710a.dat got a preview thumbnail...

Yes, I triggered that myself! So there is a problem, which I will investigate.

Automatic image re-generation is now working.
(2018-12-02, 17:00)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 14:11)Chris Dee Wrote: The Parts Tracker now supports the uploading of image files for the Texture Mapping Language Extension (TEXMAP).

Thanks Chris! Now it is high time that we pick up this old thread and bring it to a happy ending:

Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions

w.

What do you feel is not addressed by the published standard?
It should all be working, including the detection of dependencies and rendering of the preview images, but if you find any problems, please post here.
There is still some work to do to support this in the Parts Update process, so TEXMAP parts may need to be excluded from the next parts update.
The revised version of the submit page now allows multiple files of the same type and destination folder to be uploaded in one batch.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong, but will not there be "normal" patternd parts in the future?
Older semesters like mine still rely on MLCad, but this does not support these parts.
If nothing goes right, go left.
(2018-12-03, 21:11)Johann Eisner Wrote: Maybe I'm thinking wrong, but will not there be "normal" patternd parts in the future?
Older semesters like mine still rely on MLCad, but this does not support these parts.

That's why we still have to create a fallback pattern.
Look at how Philo have created a pattern for the sail on that technic sailboat, 42074.
(2018-12-02, 14:11)Chris Dee Wrote: The revised version of the submit page now allows multiple files of the same type and destination folder to be uploaded in one batch.

Would it be possible to have something similar on the Review page?
To vote Certify on a main file and all its subfiles at the same time.

I just voted on this sticker:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...96955b.dat

Many subfiles....
(2018-12-03, 22:19)Magnus Forsberg Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 14:11)Chris Dee Wrote: The revised version of the submit page now allows multiple files of the same type and destination folder to be uploaded in one batch.

Would it be possible to have something similar on the Review page?
To vote Certify on a main file and all its subfiles at the same time.

I just voted on this sticker:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...96955b.dat

Many subfiles....

I'm note sure if we increase our "failure level" with such a function as it is possible to miss a subpart in such a bulk review.
Normally I open all parts and its subparts in different tabs, check one by one and prepare the review. When all subparts are finished I go through the tabs and send this review for each part.
(2018-12-04, 6:00)Max Martin Richter Wrote: I'm note sure if we increase our "failure level" with such a function as it is possible to miss a subpart in such a bulk review.
Normally I open all parts and its subparts in different tabs, check one by one and prepare the review. When all subparts are finished I go through the tabs and send this review for each part.
Not so keen of the idea either, for the same reasons...
Yes, I kind of agree too.
This was just a quick reaction after reviewing that sticker. It's not very often we have to vote on that many subfiles...
(2018-12-02, 17:36)Chris Dee Wrote: What do you feel is not addressed by the published standard?

Well, as it stands now you could use a 4000x4000 scan on a 1x1 tile as well as a 20x20 pixel image on the Paper, Cardboard Base for Set 365, Wild West Pattern

[Image: 365cdb01.png]

Our document says nothing about resolution or that a picture of a vector graphic is preferred over a simple photo (at least that is my position on it).

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-12-04, 16:16)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Yes, I kind of agree too.
This was just a quick reaction after reviewing that sticker. It's not very often we have to vote on that many subfiles...

Thanks for withdrawing this request. I also agree that automatic certification of dependent subparts would be too risky.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »