Job posting: Looking for Official Model Repository admin

Job posting: Looking for Official Model Repository admin
Hi,

WE WANT YOU! As new administrator for the Official Model Repository. It is your job to pick the files people post to the Official models thread, cross-check that they follow the rules for the OMR and add them to the database. Ideally you check also that they have been build according to the official building instruction.

Interested? Just reply in this thread.

w.
On behalf of the LDraw Steering Committee.
LEGO ergo sum
RE: Job posting: Looking for Official Model Repository admin
(2018-11-30, 19:55)Willy Tschager Wrote: Hi,

WE WANT YOU! As new administrator for the Official Model Repository. It is your job to pick the files people post to the Official models thread, cross-check that they follow the rules for the OMR and add them to the database. Ideally you check also that they have been build according to the official building instruction.

w.

Hi willy,

You can put me up for that job.

Jaco
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl

w.

Hi

I would also be interested in this job, perhaps to support Jaco.
If nothing goes right, go left.

w.

I am working on an online tool for automatic checks for OMR.
With these check the tool can both help check for OMR compliance and allow the user to walk through the steps of instructions. It works on any platform, so that should help potential MAC, Linux or mobile platform users.

Do you think this tool will be useful, or is effort best spent elsewhere?

By the way. Many of the existing OMR models do not have instructions steps. Is it allowed to add steps to these?
(2018-12-01, 11:21)Lasse Deleuran Wrote:

w.

I am working on an online tool for automatic checks for OMR.
With these check the tool can both help check for OMR compliance and allow the user to walk through the steps of instructions. It works on any platform, so that should help potential MAC, Linux or mobile platform users.

By the way. Many of the existing OMR models do not have instructions steps. Is it allowed to add steps to these?

A tool like that could definitely help.

Adding steps, improving and correcting models from the OMR is always good.
I asume one can upload a new version of a model, overwriting the existing one?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-01, 11:29)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 11:21)Lasse Deleuran Wrote: I am working on an online tool for automatic checks for OMR.

A tool like that could definitely help.

Adding steps, improving and correcting models from the OMR is always good.
I asume one can upload a new version of a model, overwriting the existing one?

MPDCenter is a very good tool to check OMR compatibly.
And LDcad to clean up files.
I have had very good experiences with it.

w.

Is there any record of which models have already been added to the OMR page? I am already clear that I only have to check on the OMR side, which already exist, but it is work first in the forum to choose a model and then look in the OMR if already available. Or can the OMR database be exported to a list? Then it is easy again. Check the forum, check off the model or check the model for OMR and upload.
What kind of tool have you made exactly? If it happens to be made using Python it could probably be added to the OMR site relatively easy.
I don't quite understand what you mean. You can view on the OMR site which files are available and which aren't right?
As for the forum; it was once decided to not remove the forum posts that have been added to the OMR.
Just wanted to say that I might be able to take a day or so in December to update the OMR (as it's a bit outdated now) and fix some loose ends.
But I can't promise anything.
(2018-12-01, 16:32)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: I don't quite understand what you mean. You can view on the OMR site which files are available and which aren't right?
As for the forum; it was once decided to not remove the forum posts that have been added to the OMR.

I do not want to remove the files from the forum.
Just meant to compare.
If I have a list of the files that are already on the OMR page, then I do not have to switch back and forth between forum and OMR page.
Of course it works without it.
It was just a question, I love lists. ;-)
(2018-12-01, 16:29)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: What kind of tool have you made exactly? If it happens to be made using Python it could probably be added to the OMR site relatively easy.

It is my Three.js LDraw file loader which is currently used for some basic checks (such as missing files). I can make OMR checker that works on the model built by the loader.

After going through the OMR specification page, I believe I should be able to write the OMR checks in the buildinginstructions.js project.

As an example of the current simplistic checks, this model is using an invalid part
(2018-12-01, 16:38)Johann Eisner Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 16:32)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: I don't quite understand what you mean. You can view on the OMR site which files are available and which aren't right?

I do not want to remove the files from the forum.
Just meant to compare.
If I have a list of the files that are already on the OMR page, then I do not have to switch back and forth between forum and OMR page.
Of course it works without it.
It was just a question, I love lists. ;-)

Well, there is an api available, but it is incredibly basic as it was never meant to be used very much (if at all).
Jaco, Johann,

you got the job! Please contact Orion for the access credentials - best is to use the webmaster[AT]ldraw[DOT]org address.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-12-01, 11:21)Lasse Deleuran Wrote: I am working on an online tool for automatic checks for OMR.

It surely will. One request form my side would be to make the error messages as user friendly as possible - the only thing I struggle with MPDCenter's OMR test are it's cryptic messages.

(2018-12-01, 11:21)Lasse Deleuran Wrote: By the way. Many of the existing OMR models do not have instructions steps. Is it allowed to add steps to these?

Sure, no problem. Check out my 10243-1 - Parisian Restaurant even LDPub commands for a perfect layout are allowed.
w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-12-01, 11:29)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: I asume one can upload a new version of a model, overwriting the existing one?

Sure but please note that the OMR rules state:

"Updates of files made after the first official release should get a history line, which states the date, author and a short description of the change."

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-12-01, 16:18)Johann Eisner Wrote:

w.

Is there any record of which models have already been added to the OMR page? I am already clear that I only have to check on the OMR side, which already exist, but it is work first in the forum to choose a model and then look in the OMR if already available. Or can the OMR database be exported to a list? Then it is easy again. Check the forum, check off the model or check the model for OMR and upload.

I can create a post tag to signify addition.
(2018-12-01, 16:18)Johann Eisner Wrote:

w.

(2018-12-01, 18:48)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 16:18)Johann Eisner Wrote: Is there any record of which models have already been added to the OMR page? I am already clear that I only have to check on the OMR side, which already exist, but it is work first in the forum to choose a model and then look in the OMR if already available. Or can the OMR database be exported to a list? Then it is easy again. Check the forum, check off the model or check the model for OMR and upload.

+1
Looks for me good.
(2018-12-01, 17:39)Willy Tschager Wrote: Jaco, Johann,

you got the job! Please contact Orion for the access credentials - best is to use the webmaster[AT]ldraw[DOT]org address.

w.

And/or me. I can create accounts too. But that's not the point. There's a certain quirk (one of the 'things' mentioned above I wanted to fix) in the system that I think is pretty important to tell. It's nothing major at all, but it might avoid some frustration I think.
(2018-12-01, 19:51)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:

w.

And/or me. I can create accounts too. But that's not the point. There's a certain quirk (one of the 'things' mentioned above I wanted to fix) in the system that I think is pretty important to tell. It's nothing major at all, but it might avoid some frustration I think.

I didn't want to take anyone's job away.
I am only there to help the community.
Let me know if and when my assistance will be needed.
(2018-12-02, 9:33)Johann Eisner Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 19:51)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: And/or me. I can create accounts too. But that's not the point. There's a certain quirk (one of the 'things' mentioned above I wanted to fix) in the system that I think is pretty important to tell. It's nothing major at all, but it might avoid some frustration I think.

I didn't want to take anyone's job away.

Oh, you're certainly not! Any help is appreciated. Smile I've got no time to add models to the OMR site. Roland did it for a while but I guess he either lost interest or has no time either. The last model added to the OMR was almost a year ago, so there's probably a bit of a backlog (not to mention existing files maybe could be updated, but that's a headache for another time I think).

w.

OK, I've been reading the replies just now.

It would be nice to be able to make a list of models that are on the OMR.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-02, 11:44)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:

w.

OK, I've been reading the replies just now.

OK.
I have just stated that I should first look before asking meaningless questions.
On the OMR side there is already a list of the whole models.
I have now marked these and inserted them into Excel.
Filter placed over it and you can easily see which models are already here.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Set List 20181202.xlsx (Size: 46.8 KB / Downloads: 6)
(2018-12-02, 11:26)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 9:33)Johann Eisner Wrote: I didn't want to take anyone's job away.

Oh, you're certainly not! Any help is appreciated. Smile I've got no time to add models to the OMR site. Roland did it for a while but I guess he either lost interest or has no time either. The last model added to the OMR was almost a year ago, so there's probably a bit of a backlog (not to mention existing files maybe could be updated, but that's a headache for another time I think).

In the meantime, I will ask Orion to give me the necessary clearance so that I can look at the OMR page.
Then wait for your "go" to start.
(2018-12-01, 19:51)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: And/or me. I can create accounts too. But that's not the point. There's a certain quirk (one of the 'things' mentioned above I wanted to fix) in the system that I think is pretty important to tell. It's nothing major at all, but it might avoid some frustration I think.

Merlijn,

reading your email again it was my understanding that you have limited time and the backlog from Dec. 28, 2017, 2:31 p.m. is due to this. You are always welcome to add sets and work on the code but you'll also have to understand that we cannot wait another year to see some sets added.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-12-01, 18:48)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 16:18)Johann Eisner Wrote: Is there any record of which models have already been added to the OMR page? I am already clear that I only have to check on the OMR side, which already exist, but it is work first in the forum to choose a model and then look in the OMR if already available. Or can the OMR database be exported to a list? Then it is easy again. Check the forum, check off the model or check the model for OMR and upload.

Looking at this further, while editing the post to add a tag can be done, I think a forum plugin to automate this task further is better.
(2018-12-02, 16:51)Willy Tschager Wrote:

Merlijn,

reading your email again it was my understanding that you have limited time and the backlog from Dec. 28, 2017, 2:31 p.m. is due to this. You are always welcome to add sets and work on the code but you'll also have to understand that we cannot wait another year to see some sets added.

w.

I have indeed not very much time to work on the OMR (or any LDraw related things for that matter) lately. And I don't mind at all that other people are willing to step in; that's great. I have zero intentions to block anyone from doing stuff with the OMR for 'another year'.

I think you and Johann kind of misinterpreted my post above. The only thing I meant was that there's a bug (or rather an unfinished feature) in the system for adding files and it's best I'd tell anyone using it beforehand. It's also the thing (among some general updates) I want to fix at the end of the year if time permits.
(2018-12-02, 13:10)Johann Eisner Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 11:44)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: OK, I've been reading the replies just now.

OK.
I have just stated that I should first look before asking meaningless questions.

Ok, and is there a way to extract a list from the forum with posted models too?
Do you have a Google account / Office 365? We could share a spreadsheet then and compare.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-02, 20:23)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 13:10)Johann Eisner Wrote: OK.

Ok, and is there a way to extract a list from the forum with posted models too?
Do you have a Google account / Office 365? We could share a spreadsheet then and compare.

1st.: I think no, we had to do this step by step. Have no way found.
2nd.: Google yes, Office no
(2018-12-02, 18:01)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 16:51)Willy Tschager Wrote: Merlijn,

w.

I have indeed not very much time to work on the OMR (or any LDraw related things for that matter) lately. And I don't mind at all that other people are willing to step in; that's great. I have zero intentions to block anyone from doing stuff with the OMR for 'another year'.

I think you and Johann kind of misinterpreted my post above. The only thing I meant was that there's a bug (or rather an unfinished feature) in the system for adding files and it's best I'd tell anyone using it beforehand. It's also the thing (among some general updates) I want to fix at the end of the year if time permits.

I have written an email to Orion yesterday to receive the necessary rights.
How to access the OMR database and what needs to be considered.
(2018-12-03, 16:21)Johann Eisner Wrote:
(2018-12-02, 20:23)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Ok, and is there a way to extract a list from the forum with posted models too?

1st.: I think no, we had to do this step by step. Have no way found.

Ok, I think I have found a way to relatively easily find out what sets are posted.
I copy and paste the whole thread page to a plain text editor and found that every post with an attached model has the same structure:

For example:

Attached Files
.mpd   21005 - Falling Water.mpd (Size: 41.85 KB / Downloads: 5)

So, I can find every line that starts with .mpd and look for the set number there.

Here I think is what I found for the Architecture theme thread

21003 Seattle Space Needle Architecture
21004 Solomon R.  Guggenheim Museum Architecture
21005 Fallingwater Architecture
21006 The White House Architecture
21007 Rockefeller Center Architecture
21008 Burj Khalifa Architecture
21009 Farnsworth House Architecture
21010 Robie House Architecture
21011 Brandenburg Gate Architecture
21012 Sydney Opera House Architecture
21013 Big Ben Architecture
21014 Villa Savoye Architecture
21015 The Leaning Tower Of Pisa Architecture
21016 Sungnyemun Architecture
21017 Imperial Hotel Architecture
21018 United Nations Headquarters Architecture
21019 The Eiffel Tower Architecture
21020 Trevi Fountain Architecture
21021 Marina Bay Sands Architecture
21022 Lincoln Memorial Architecture
21023 Flatiron Building Architecture
21024 Louvre Architecture
21026 Venice Architecture
21027 Berlin Architecture
21028 New York City Architecture
21029 Buckingham Palace Architecture
21030 United States Capitol Building Architecture
21031 Burj Khalifa Architecture
21032 Sydney Architecture
21033 Chicago Architecture
21034 London Architecture
21035 Solomon R.  Guggenheim Museum Architecture

I will make and share a Google Spreadsheet to compare your Excel list with what I can find on the forum.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-03, 20:10)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2018-12-03, 16:21)Johann Eisner Wrote: 1st.: I think no, we had to do this step by step. Have no way found.

Ok, I think I have found a way to relatively easily find out what sets are posted.
I copy and paste the whole thread page to a plain text editor and found that every post with an attached model has the same structure:

For example:

Attached Files
.mpd   21005 - Falling Water.mpd (Size: 41.85 KB / Downloads: 5)

So, I can find every line that starts with .mpd and look for the set number there.

Here I think is what I found for the Architecture theme thread

21003 Seattle Space Needle Architecture
21004 Solomon R.  Guggenheim Museum Architecture
21005 Fallingwater Architecture
21006 The White House Architecture
21007 Rockefeller Center Architecture
21008 Burj Khalifa Architecture
21009 Farnsworth House Architecture
21010 Robie House Architecture
21011 Brandenburg Gate Architecture
21012 Sydney Opera House Architecture
21013 Big Ben Architecture
21014 Villa Savoye Architecture
21015 The Leaning Tower Of Pisa Architecture
21016 Sungnyemun Architecture
21017 Imperial Hotel Architecture
21018 United Nations Headquarters Architecture
21019 The Eiffel Tower Architecture
21020 Trevi Fountain Architecture
21021 Marina Bay Sands Architecture
21022 Lincoln Memorial Architecture
21023 Flatiron Building Architecture
21024 Louvre Architecture
21026 Venice Architecture
21027 Berlin Architecture
21028 New York City Architecture
21029 Buckingham Palace Architecture
21030 United States Capitol Building Architecture
21031 Burj Khalifa Architecture
21032 Sydney Architecture
21033 Chicago Architecture
21034 London Architecture
21035 Solomon R.  Guggenheim Museum Architecture

I will make and share a Google Spreadsheet to compare your Excel list with what I can find on the forum.

This is much better than searching through the topics step by step. I send you my Google address via PM.
Ok, I made a start with finding all models submitted to the Forum and started to document them.
Here is the list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e...tu/pubhtml

Tab: OMR = currently uploaded to the OMR
Tab: Forum = all models posted here with check if the model is currently on the OMR

I compare the sets with what is on the OMR now and what is on the forums, so we can start downloading from here and uploading to the OMR.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-05, 13:22)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Ok, I made a start with finding all models submitted to the Forum and started to document them.
Here is the list:

Tab: Forum = all models posted here with check if the model is currently on the OMR

I compare the sets with what is on the OMR now and what is on the forums, so we can start downloading from here and uploading to the OMR.

Should we cross check first, if the models are on rebrickable?
Who makes which theme or numbers?
(2018-12-05, 13:48)Johann Eisner Wrote: Should we cross check first, if the models are on rebrickable?
Who makes which theme  or numbers?
 Pretty much every set is on Rebrickbable. Only very new sets (2019) might be missing.
(2018-12-05, 15:33)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
(2018-12-05, 13:48)Johann Eisner Wrote: Should we cross check first, if the models are on rebrickable?
 Pretty much every set is on Rebrickbable. Only very new sets (2019) might be missing.

Please note that you can upload only files of authors who have signed the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement. Only OMR models are allowed in the LDraw Model Repository. The OMR specs require a:

0 Author: <Author Name> [Username]

<Author Name>: The name of the author. Real full names (first and last) are required by the LDraw.org Contributor's Agreement
[Username]: The LDraw.org username of the author

line in the header.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-12-05, 17:22)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2018-12-05, 15:33)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:  Pretty much every set is on Rebrickbable. Only very new sets (2019) might be missing.

Please note that you can upload only files of authors who have signed the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement. Only OMR models are allowed in the LDraw Model Repository. The OMR specs require a:

<Author Name>: The name of the author. Real full names (first and last) are required by the LDraw.org Contributor's Agreement

line in the header.

w.

OK Willy.
How does a new author, if any, sign the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-05, 15:33)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:

Ok, and what does it say whether a model is on Rebrickable or not?
Do we cross-check the set number or theme there?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-05, 19:37)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2018-12-05, 15:33)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:  Pretty much every set is on Rebrickbable. Only very new sets (2019) might be missing.

Merlijn described the problem with the OMR site yesterday in pm to us.
(2018-12-05, 19:21)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2018-12-05, 17:22)Willy Tschager Wrote: Please note that you can upload only files of authors who have signed the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement. Only OMR models are allowed in the LDraw Model Repository. The OMR specs require a:

line in the header.

w.

OK Willy.

I copied some information from the PT to the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement page.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-12-05, 19:59)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2018-12-05, 19:21)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: OK Willy.

I copied some information from the PT to the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement page.

w.

You where faster than i. Smile
(2018-12-05, 19:21)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2018-12-05, 17:22)Willy Tschager Wrote: Please note that you can upload only files of authors who have signed the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement. Only OMR models are allowed in the LDraw Model Repository. The OMR specs require a:

line in the header.

w.

OK Willy.

By posting on this forum, you agree to the CA
(2018-12-05, 19:37)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:

The system retrieves set information from Rebrickable (which makes it possible to filter the files by year, theme etc.). In an old version, the information had to be manually entered. It worked, but it was a big annoyance and it took quite a bit of time per file to add (you were basicially recreating a lego set database, which is really reinventing the wheel). Now you can just select a file, enter the set number (see disclaimer in PM) and voila.
The beginning is done.
A few small models for practice. Big Grin
(2018-12-07, 21:22)Johann Eisner Wrote: The beginning is done.
A few small models for practice. Big Grin

Great, Johann!

I will continue to browse the forum to see what models are submitted and not yet on the OMR and put them in "our" spreadsheet.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-05, 13:48)Johann Eisner Wrote:
(2018-12-05, 13:22)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Ok, I made a start with finding all models submitted to the Forum and started to document them.
Here is the list:

Should we cross check first, if the models are on rebrickable?

Addition to the spreadsheet is now a tab RB (ReBrickable)
Imported is a list of all sets currently on RB
On the tab Forum I look for the set on RB
So far, I found 11 sets submitted to the forum that are not on RB

For example 7603 Dump Truck submitted here https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-7939-pos...ck#pid7945
Seems to be this one: https://brickset.com/sets/7603-1/Dump-Truck but is not listed on RB.

How do we deal with this?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-08, 10:03)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Addition to the spreadsheet is now a tab RB (ReBrickable)

For example 7603 Dump Truck submitted here https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-7939-pos...ck#pid7945
Seems to be this one: https://brickset.com/sets/7603-1/Dump-Truck

I think your list isn't quite right. For example, 390-2 or or 107-2 are on Rebrickable.
7603 is an interesting one. I think because it is an unreleased set nobody ever noticed it was missing. I've added it  Wink
(2018-12-08, 10:03)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:

Addition to the spreadsheet is now a tab RB (ReBrickable)

Seems to be this one: https://brickset.com/sets/7603-1/Dump-Truck but is not listed on RB.

Looking for 7603 on the OMR now gives a not found page.
http://omr.ldraw.org/set/7603-1/

EDIT: hmm... found it on RB now?
https://rebrickable.com/sets/7603-1/dump-truck/
Searching befor (this very morning) for either 7603 or 7603-1 on RB retruned not found...
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2018-12-08, 10:21)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
(2018-12-08, 10:03)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Addition to the spreadsheet is now a tab RB (ReBrickable)

Seems to be this one: https://brickset.com/sets/7603-1/Dump-Truck

I think your list isn't quite right. For example, 390-2 or or 107-2 are on Rebrickable.
7603 is an interesting one. I think because it is an unreleased set nobody ever noticed it was missing. I've added it  Wink

Hi Merlijn,

Are you an admin for Rebrickable too?
My post and edits crossed your reply.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »