Programmer Volunteer

Programmer Volunteer
Hi, I'm Will and I'm an aspiring video game programmer. I was investigating the possibility of converting LEGO Digital Designer .lfxml files to a more standard format like .fbx or .obj when I came across LDraw and these forums. I've loved LEGO since I was little and this seems like a worthwhile organization, so I'd like to volunteer my talents. What programming tasks can I take on to be of assistance?
RE: Programmer Volunteer
(2018-06-26, 2:24)Will Gauthier Wrote: Hi, I'm Will and I'm an aspiring video game programmer. I was investigating the possibility of converting LEGO Digital Designer .lfxml files to a more standard format like .fbx or .obj when I came across LDraw and these forums. I've loved LEGO since I was little and this seems like a worthwhile organization, so I'd like to volunteer my talents. What programming tasks can I take on to be of assistance?

Hi Will,

since you're talking about converter I'd seek a converter that does, what 3DWin did in the past. One prog to add to the AIOI which knows them all:

dxf, obj, stl, ... and most important LXF <-> LDR without the need of the the ldraw.xml.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-06-26, 7:05)Willy Tschager Wrote: dxf, obj, stl, ...
Welcome here Will!
Yes that would be useful. There is already the stl2dat converter (https://sourceforge.net/projects/stl2dat/) that works pretty well, but is missing the support of compressed stl files. Getting that would already be nice.
Quote:and most important LXF <-> LDR without the need of the the ldraw.xml.
Willy, I don't get  it: anyway you need some database defining the conversion rules between part references, origin and orientations in both systems, so some form of LDraw.xml is needed???
(2018-06-26, 7:34)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-06-26, 7:05)Willy Tschager Wrote: dxf, obj, stl, ...
Welcome here Will!
Yes that would be useful. There is already the stl2dat converter (https://sourceforge.net/projects/stl2dat/) that works pretty well, but is missing the support of compressed stl files. Getting that would already be nice.
Quote:and most important LXF <-> LDR without the need of the the ldraw.xml.
Willy, I don't get  it: anyway you need some database defining the conversion rules between part references, origin and orientations in both systems, so some form of LDraw.xml is needed???

Hi Philippe, happy to be here. Thank you and Willy for the project suggestions. I've reached out to Marc Klein, the creator of stl2dat, to see about working together. Hopefully you'll get support for compressed binary files soon.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »