LDCad part/step insertion at current source location vs. end?

LDCad part/step insertion at current source location vs. end?
Hey guys,

Long time MLCad user (in fact, it's my old 3DStudio render of the 8816 kit that Michael used for the splash screen and I did the MLCad logos for him).
I just started playing with LDCad and had one question.
Being a part author from *way* back in the days when James was still with us Sad , I'm very much into keeping my .dat source ordered in a very specific way, with parts being added in a sequential order from bottom to top (Y) back to front (Z) and left to right (Z) so that each piece can be seen as it is added, regardless of the step separations. Just the way I like to work. This means I'm often dropping parts into the middle of the existing list as I copy/paste, decide to break things into smaller steps, etc.

With MLCad parts were always added (or duplicated) immediately following the current item you have selected in the .dat window (part, step, comment, whatever). So far it seems like adding (or duplicating an existing) part or step in LDCad always wants to place it at the end of the current model/submodel source. This is cumbersome for me as I then have to move the part up where I want it in the actual source if I happen to be making a mid-dat edit. It's just my preferred way of organizing elements within steps. 

I've looked at the docs, checked the shortcuts and all pref settings I can find but see nothing that allows me to specify that I want new pieces (whether they be dragged from the parts bin or duplicated from existing pieces with key shortcuts) to be placed immediately following my current location in the source. Can this be done?

I'm sure lots of people don't even edit with their source window open and never worry about it, but I keep it open and docked and want very tight control over the order of every element placed in it, so not having to manually move things around after adding them would be very helpful.

And thanks to lots of you here. After being all about MLCad for... wow, like almost 20 years now... I forced myself to check out LDCad after reading lots of praise for it. For now it's still a bit cumbersome in many ways (for me) over MLCad, but I can see the potential and hopefully it'll make future documentation/releases of our model line easier.

TIA
Jeff
BrickGun.com owner
LUGNET User #114
RE: LDCad part/step insertion at current source location vs. end?
Hi Jeff,
Nice to see you here, after knowing you as "author line" in several parts files...

Maybe not exactly what you want, but if you drop a new part in source window instead of main 3D one, you can choose the point (green line) where it is inserted in the source window. You can then position it using move/snap it in 3D window. Same thing if you hit paste (ctrl+v) while you mouse over source window.

Hope it helps!
(2018-05-06, 8:01)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: ...if you drop a new part in source window instead of main 3D one, you can choose the point (green line) where it is inserted in the source window. You can then position it using move/snap it in 3D window. Same thing if you hit paste (ctrl+v) while you mouse over source window.

*Exactly* what I needed. Thanks, Philippe!
(2018-05-06, 1:00)Jeff Boen Wrote: And thanks to lots of you here. After being all about MLCad for... wow, like almost 20 years now... I forced myself to check out LDCad after reading lots of praise for it. For now it's still a bit cumbersome in many ways (for me) over MLCad, but I can see the potential and hopefully it'll make future documentation/releases of our model line easier.

You could also sort those lines later using script. Similar to the "scripts/steps/auto layer based steps" example.

I'll see what I can improve in 2.0, maybe an "insertion anchor" or something in the source window?
(2018-05-06, 18:51)Roland Melkert Wrote: You could also sort those lines later using script. Similar to the "scripts/steps/auto layer based steps" example.

I'll see what I can improve in 2.0, maybe an "insertion anchor" or something in the source window?

Thanks for the response Roland. Is there an official forum/venue for testing/bugs/feature requests? I've spent the entire weekend working up an extensive model (~1400 elements) and am starting to really like LDCad. No problems so far but I'd love to be involved in the evolution of it if there's an avenue for that between you and the community. Thanks again!
(2018-05-07, 5:47)Jeff Boen Wrote: Is there an official forum/venue for testing/bugs/feature requests? I've spent the entire weekend working up an extensive model (~1400 elements) and am starting to really like LDCad. No problems so far but I'd love to be involved in the evolution of it if there's an avenue for that between you and the community. Thanks again!
This forum is the semi official place I guess, but I also keep an eye on the eurobricks forum.

All input is welcome especially concerning 2.0 as I'm still in the non LDraw specific stage. I'm a bit behind schedule though, so plenty of time Smile
(2018-05-07, 19:28)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2018-05-07, 5:47)Jeff Boen Wrote: Is there an official forum/venue for testing/bugs/feature requests? I've spent the entire weekend working up an extensive model (~1400 elements) and am starting to really like LDCad. No problems so far but I'd love to be involved in the evolution of it if there's an avenue for that between you and the community. Thanks again!
This forum is the semi official place I guess, but I also keep an eye on the eurobricks forum.

All input is welcome especially concerning 2.0 as I'm still in the non LDraw specific stage. I'm a bit behind schedule though, so plenty of time Smile

Well, I've got 2 feature requests:
  • The ability to, when having multiple parts selected, rotate them all using their own center axis instead of the selected axis (first select brick). Or is this already possible?
  • The ability to, when mirroring a submodel, to also mirror the ROTSTEPS.
Smile
(2018-05-10, 10:39)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [*]The ability to, when having multiple parts selected, rotate them all using their own center axis instead of the selected axis (first select brick). Or is this already possible?
This is already supported, it's the third mode of the editing pin. It allows for moving the pin around without moving the selection. Afterwards you can go back to rotation mode.

(2018-05-10, 10:39)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: [*]The ability to, when mirroring a submodel, to also mirror the ROTSTEPS.
I'll put this on my long term to do list Smile
(2018-05-10, 18:46)Roland Melkert Wrote: This is already supported, it's the third mode of the editing pin. It allows for moving the pin around without moving the selection. Afterwards you can go back to rotation mode.
I think I didn't explain myself very well. I know about that mode, it's not what I'm looking for. What I mean is the ability to rotate all parts in a selection individually instead of as a selection. So id I'd select 5 1x1 bricks, I would like to be able to rotate them all using their own individual axis. If that makes sense... I could make an image explaining it, if necessary.
(2018-05-11, 17:19)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
(2018-05-10, 18:46)Roland Melkert Wrote: This is already supported, it's the third mode of the editing pin. It allows for moving the pin around without moving the selection. Afterwards you can go back to rotation mode.
I think I didn't explain myself very well. I know about that mode, it's not what I'm looking for. What I mean is the ability to rotate all parts in a selection individually instead of as a selection. So id I'd select 5 1x1 bricks, I would like to be able to rotate them all using their own individual axis. If that makes sense... I could make an image explaining it, if necessary.

You can do that with script.

menu in 1.6b:
scripts/samples/copy orientation  

is an example of that, it applies the orientation (rotation) of the first selected part to all items in the selection.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »