James Jessiman Memorial Award for 2017 awarded to Chris Dee

James Jessiman Memorial Award for 2017 awarded to Chris Dee
The LDraw.org Steering Committee is pleased to announce that the 2017 James Jessiman Memorial Award (JJMA) recipient is LDraw Parts Library Administrator Chris Dee.

There was no discussion over the recipient for the this year's James Jessiman Memorial Award and the SteerCo reached consensus immediately.
Chris discovered LDraw in 1997 or 1998 after abandoning a similar project to build a LEGO parts library in PostScript. The initial motivation was to create replacement instructions for second-hand sets he had acquired, and to produce instructions for the alternative models - this was in the days before the existence of internet resources like PICSL and its predecessors. Frustrated at the very first hurdle by the omission of part 4080 (Tipper Bucket 4 x 6) he set about authoring it and was amazed to see it released in the 1998-03 update. More parts followed, and circumstances found Chris concentrating on the patterned minifig torsos, which had largely been overlooked at that time. The intellectual challenge of part authoring and the then lack of functionally rich model creation tools (like MLCad) overtook the instruction creation idea. He soon installed Steve Bliss' LDraw Add-On program (LDAO) and with L3Lab as a renderer found an efficient toolset for part authoring - a combination he still favours today. Appointment as the a second LDraw Library Admin followed in 2003.
Beside the regular library updates Chris had the enormous task to standardises the headers of more than 3300 files with the primary purpose of aligning the library with the Contributor Agreement back in 2008.

More information on the JJMA can be found at: http://www.ldraw.org/article/222.html

Willy Tschager
On behalf of the LDraw.org Steering Committee
RE: James Jessiman Memorial Award for 2017 awarded to Chris Dee
On a personal note I'd like to add that Chris is the only LDrawer I met IRL - at the second LEGO Universe Event in Denver back in 2008. Furthermore he was the first and only author I asked for a part http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=2691 before I started authoring myself.

Well deserved Chris!

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2017-12-27, 16:18)Willy Tschager Wrote: On a personal note I'd like to add that Chris is the only LDrawer I met IRL - at the second LEGO Universe Event in Denver back in 2008. Furthermore he was the first and only author I asked for a part http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=2691 before I started authoring myself.

Well deserved Chris!

w.

Chris is the only active LDrawer I’ve met IRL as well and the only one based outside the US that I’ve met ever.
Thank you Chris for all you do for this hobby. You should have received this award years ago but due to our own internal rules we haven’t been able. I’ve been waiting to get you this award for a long time now and the opportunity finally presented itself. Thanks again.
Congratulations, Chris.
Well deserved.
Congratulations, Chris! A highly deserved award (somewhat belated too Wink )
(2017-12-27, 16:09)Willy Tschager Wrote: The LDraw.org Steering Committee is pleased to announce that the 2017 James Jessiman Memorial Award (JJMA) recipient is LDraw Parts Library Administrator Chris Dee.

Congratulations Chris, as said before better late then never Smile
Congratulations, Chris!
Congratulation!
Congratulations from my side as well!
(2017-12-27, 16:09)Willy Tschager Wrote: The LDraw.org Steering Committee is pleased to announce that the 2017 James Jessiman Memorial Award (JJMA) recipient is LDraw Parts Library Administrator Chris Dee.

There was no discussion over the recipient for the this year's James Jessiman Memorial Award and the SteerCo reached consensus immediately.
Chris discovered LDraw in 1997 or 1998 after abandoning a similar project to build a LEGO parts library in PostScript. The initial motivation was to create replacement instructions for second-hand sets he had acquired, and to produce instructions for the alternative models - this was in the days before the existence of internet resources like PICSL and its predecessors. Frustrated at the very first hurdle by the omission of part 4080 (Tipper Bucket 4 x 6) he set about authoring it and was amazed to see it released in the 1998-03 update. More parts followed, and circumstances found Chris concentrating on the patterned minifig torsos, which had largely been overlooked at that time. The intellectual challenge of part authoring and the then lack of functionally rich model creation tools (like MLCad) overtook the instruction creation idea. He soon installed Steve Bliss' LDraw Add-On program (LDAO) and with L3Lab as a renderer found an efficient toolset for part authoring - a combination he still favours today. Appointment as the a second LDraw Library Admin followed in 2003.
Beside the regular library updates Chris had the enormous task to standardises the headers of more than 3300 files with the primary purpose of aligning the library with the Contributor Agreement back in 2008.

More information on the JJMA can be found at: http://www.ldraw.org/article/222.html

Willy Tschager
On behalf of the LDraw.org Steering Committee

Very many thanks for this award and all your kind comments.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Congratulations from my side as well! 
Kind Regards from Austria
Johann
If nothing goes right, go left.
Congratulations, Chris, this award is long deserved.
Your year-long help, effort and dedication you put into this is so unique and helpful!
Thank you very, very much
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »