Dish 2x2 Patterns

Dish 2x2 Patterns
Was looking at doing the 2654pb010 pattern but I am having issues with the low resolution of this part. Perhaps that is why there are no patterns for 2654 yet?

Currently the dish is using 4-8sphe.dat, replacing it with the highres variant seems overkill. I have taken the conical primitives from rounded shield 75902 and modified them a bit to match the bottom, please see picture attached. (Left the original, right my variant which needs some extra condlines)

In my opinion this looks much better and it will be easier to create patterns for this part, please let me know what you think about it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Dish 2x2 Patterns
Hi Evert,
- I agree with you: using 4-8sphe is wrong, because tangents at the edges shouldn't be vertical. Using appropriate cones primitives (and condlines in-between) would be much better. Or perhaps (need to check the result after proper scaling) the bump5000 primitive could be used? Fortunately there are not yet patterns for this part, so changing shape is not a big deal.
- That said, the problem with 4-8sphe is not a problem of low resolution... the shapshot you made show the very low resolution 8\4-8sphe, not the regular 8sphe. I guess you have a problem with your LDraw configuration?
- The LDD model (attached here) shows a groove at the base of the part that should imho be modeled. Now the question is - is there only one (grooved) version of 2654, or was there also a grooveless version in the past? Anyway I couldn't find any evidence of a grooveless version so far...

Attached Files
.dat   2654.dat (Size: 150.74 KB / Downloads: 4)
(2017-06-27, 11:35)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [...]
- The LDD model (attached here) shows a groove at the base of the part that should imho be modeled. Now the question is - is there only one (grooved) version of 2654, or was there also a grooveless version in the past? Anyway I couldn't find any evidence of a grooveless version so far...

The rebrickable page has a bit of information about (minor) different versions of the dish:
http://rebrickable.com/parts/2654/plate-...boat-stud/

I don't know if that are all versions though...
(2017-06-27, 14:40)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
(2017-06-27, 11:35)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [...]

The rebrickable page has a bit of information about (minor) different versions of the dish:
http://rebrickable.com/parts/2654/plate-...boat-stud/

I don't know if that are all versions though...

When looking through my collection of these parts they all have the groove, I have created a mock-up by using the LDD geometry as a guide and used the bump5000 for the bottom which does resemble the ldd data very closely, think I can work something out with this

Attached Files
.png   2654_1.png (Size: 40.21 KB / Downloads: 37)
.png   2654_2.png (Size: 26.7 KB / Downloads: 37)
(2017-06-27, 17:40)Evert-Jan Boer Wrote: When looking through my collection of these parts they all have the groove, I have created a mock-up by using the LDD geometry as a guide and used the bump5000 for the bottom which does resemble the ldd data very closely, think I can work something out with this
Looks good! You'll have to use a stud6 as it is slightly cut...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »