space ships and space vehicles

space ships and space vehicles
Space Ships and Space Vehicles

I digged out some older files I formerly built with SR3D, now I revised and rebuilt them with LDcad. These models are 3rd party MOCs! These are not my own creations. However, hope you enjoy it as I do.

Viper MKII designed by -2x4-

[Image: 10948714166_bf20a81ae5_z.jpg]

download MPD-file

Curiosity
designed by Stephen Pakbaz

This is the original respectively initial design of Curiosity including the sky crane. The Lego ideas set #21104 Rover is slightly different.

[Image: 11341023356_d3617e9f6c_z.jpg]

download MPD-file

A10 Mentu-Kal designed by Jerac

As there were no instructions available of this model I had to re-engineer it based on some images. So it's definitely not a 100% percent perfect copy of the original built, but it's close.

[Image: 12529798605_79ef059645_z.jpg]

download MPD-file

Naganata designed by dasnewten

[Image: 11969083914_54e482aa65_z.jpg]

download MPD-file
RE: space ships and space vehicles
Great stuff! Opinions about SR3D vs. LDCad?
Thanks.

I started building with SR3D around 2010. Nearly 2 years ago I built my first model with Ldcad. Up to this point I deeply loved my SR3D builder although there were some drawbacks. As far as I remember
  • Sr3D crashed quite often
  • grouping did not work reliably
  • zooming in created weird artefacts
Mirror building worked fine. Selecting a bunch of parts by mouse dragging worked fine. Extremely useful was “selective snapping”: The first part of a parts group you picked was determined for being the “snapping part”. (As far as I know Roland is working to implement similar features now). In LDcad I often struggle while connecting two groups or submodels in the right way.

For me the most impressive benefit of LDcad is submodelling and grouping. This is great stuff. Stepping works fine. As well as “Hide selection”, which I very often use. Ldcad allows for highly accurate parts positioning and rotation. That's great. LDcad is extremely stable. Apart from the fact that I have some good experience with LDcad I often unveil new and useful features.

It took a while, but I meanwhile switched completely to LDcad. This is definitely an excellent and outstanding tool! Its a pleasure working with it.

All in all I really enjoyed building with SR3D. And its very sad that SR3D never reached and never will reach 1.0 status. So comparing SR3D and LDcad may be a poor comparison. We should keep this in mind.
Very good points - especially the last one. I too enjoyed building with SR3D, the things that bothered me most (in addition to limited stability) was the lack of support of mpd, so there was a lot of work to do outside SR3D to make BIs. The static part image wasn't the best design choice IMHO (adding new parts was a chore)... Gridded build (useful when connectivity was missing or bad) was not very practical - and worse sometimes parts moved on model reload!
(2016-10-18, 8:06)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: ...(adding new parts was a chore)...

What about this conns folder? I always wondered why you require for almost each and any part a special patch file. So what is the reason for this patch file? Creating these patches also consumed a lot of time I suppose.
(2016-10-18, 17:25)Roland Dahl Wrote: What about this conns folder? I always wondered why you require for almost each and any part a special patch file. So what is the reason for this patch file? Creating these patches also consumed a lot of time I suppose.

As fair as I know, the files in the conns folder provided the connection information for parts. LDCad also has a separate folder containing the connection information for parts, but it's in a zip file by default.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »