Getting 'group' into a submodel

Getting 'group' into a submodel
I have an ldr from a friend that did his original design work in LDD. I used LDD to export an LDR and everything worked wonderfully.
However, because LDD doesn't have the ability to use submodels, he has separate submodels laying on the baseplate representing larger components of the model.

This presents two problems.

1. It makes the size of the model ridiculously large and very difficult to navigate around.
2. It results in duplication of parts when I upload the LDR to create a BOM.

So, the question is:

Once I've grouped parts together that represent the individual submodels, how do I move these groups into submodels?

I'm comfortable manually editing the text file directly if necessary.

Thanks all. I realize this isn't actually an LDCad question but you guys have been so helpful, I thought I'd ask here. It's also LDCad that I'm going to be doing the work in. And maybe 1.6 actually has the ability in it.

Thanks guys.

Darren
RE: Getting 'group' into a submodel
Well, I don't know if this answers exactly your question, but in LDCad you may create a submodel from parts in the main model using this method:
- select all the parts you want to move to submodel
- right click -> reorganize -> move to subfile
(2016-08-18, 16:37)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Well, I don't know if this answers exactly your question, but in LDCad you may create a submodel from parts in the main model using this method:

That worked. Thanks. Interestingly enough. I discovered the option to move to a submodel doesn't work until at least one exists.

The file was an LDR so it won't provide the option to create a submodel in the mpd since it's not an mpd.
The solution is to add one empty submodel which converts the ldr to an mpd and then the function works.

Thanks for your response Philippe.
(2016-08-18, 16:37)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Well, I don't know if this answers exactly your question, but in LDCad you may create a submodel from parts in the main model using this method:

Also if the original LDD model has been constructed one submodule at a time, chances are high the part order is the same in the ldr. If so you could use the source window to select blocks of parts much faster.
(2016-08-18, 17:39)Darren Carlson Wrote: The file was an LDR so it won't provide the option to create a submodel in the mpd since it's not an mpd.
The solution is to add one empty submodel which converts the ldr to an mpd and then the function works.

That's very very (very) weird as the dialog has no limitations on when to allow mpd selection or not. Or did you mean the whole dialog won't appear?
(2016-08-18, 17:45)Roland Melkert Wrote:

Also if the original LDD model has been constructed one submodule at a time, chances are high the part order is the same in the ldr. If so you could use the source window to select blocks of parts much faster.

Another good piece of advice. Thanks guys.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »