LPub3D - rotstep

LPub3D - rotstep
One of the hardest things to achieve is getting the perfect angle for a specific step. I normally use the standard angle, but sometimes you need to change it to show where a specific piece is attached...

I'm familiar with the use of the ROTSTEP command, both relative (which I use most) and absolute), but I was wondring if there were some better way to find the right angle than guessing the numbers.

When I used MLCad I used the preview window for the ROTSTEP command, but I haven't found anything similar in MLCad (yet). Since LPub3D also has a 3D view pane (which I haven't found a use for yet) I was wondering if that could be used to determine the correct numbers for a specific ROTSTEP command.
Re: LPub3D - rotstep
Can't help you much there Jetro. I do what you do too: guess and see in the visual preview of MLCad what it looks like.

What I do do however is always round the numbers to whole numbers mostly multiple of 5.
So if the MLCad rotation preview gives coordinates like x 48,5362457 and y 23,3425676 I set the values to 50 and 25.
Then I try 45 and 20 and/or 55 and 30 for example to see if it gets any better.

I still cannot comprehend what relative and absolute means so I always mess around a bit and see where it goes.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
More or less what I do. I'm trying to find a way to not use MLCad any more though. LDCad is so much nicer Big Grin

As for REL vs ABS, I usually use REL when I know more or less how much I want to rotate a model from its default position. ABS starts from 0 and is the absolute position of the model, which for me comes in handy when I want a 2D view of the model in some step (e.g. a top view) in which case the number are always 0, 90 or 180.
Jetro de Château Wrote:More or less what I do. I'm trying to find a way to not use MLCad any more though. LDCad is so much nicer Big Grin
LDCad 1.6 will have support for rotstep including setting/viewing the angle.
Jetro de Château Wrote:More or less what I do. I'm trying to find a way to not use MLCad any more though. LDCad is so much nicer Big Grin

I just recently really dove into LDCad and must say I agree!

Jetro de Château Wrote:As for REL vs ABS, I usually use REL when I know more or less how much I want to rotate a model from its default position. ABS starts from 0 and is the absolute position of the model, which for me comes in handy when I want a 2D view of the model in some step (e.g. a top view) in which case the number are always 0, 90 or 180.

Ah, I see. But what I always find lacking for exact top view are the lines between the bricks.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
Will it have some standard values Roland?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
I imagine there must be some setting that can be changed to make that happen... in the same way I imagine there must be some way to show the LEGO logo on the studs. I seem to remember it was possible to do that in LDview (couldn't get it to work right now)
Jetro de Château Wrote:I imagine there must be some setting that can be changed to make that happen... in the same way I imagine there must be some way to show the LEGO logo on the studs. I seem to remember it was possible to do that in LDview (couldn't get it to work right now)
Lines always black perhaps?
What I do now is set the value for the abs rotstep to 89.5 instead of 90. Then some lines show, but still not perfect.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
The way I'm thinking of implementing is by adding an option "Togle ROTSTEP" to the step menu. With it you can convert a normal step meta, added before, to a ROTSTEP one or a ROTSTEP one back to a nomal one.

If you change a normal step into a ROTSTEP a dialog will ask to apply the current editing view as its abs/rel orientation. Afterwards you can change the rotation through some normal menu item click.

This is my initial idea about it though, I usually get my best ideas while working on a first 'try' Smile
Hmm...so Roland, when I discussed this with you via email, I remember bringing up that LDCad doesn't recognize a ROTSTEP as a separate step, which it sounds like you are addressing with this? I mention it because since then I've noticed Lpub3D seems to follow the same logic, ROTSTEPs are only used to set orientation but require a STEP to be paired with to be read as a separate step. MLCad is the one that treats ROTSTEPs and STEPs as steps.

If I had to vote for which program to match, I would say Lpub3D all the way - but maybe this needs to be discussed with Trevor to ensure some consistency.

Edit: I _really_ like the idea that it just sets it based on whatever your current camera position is - very efficient! Maybe make a right-click option on a ROTSTEP in the source view to set the camera back to that position if you need to go back and check?

Edit 2: I realized my error! (see below) Lpub recognizes ROTSTEPs as STEPs. Apologies for causing so much confusion.
Brendan Mauro Wrote:If I had to vote for which program to match, I would say Lpub3D all the way - but maybe this needs to be discussed with Trevor to ensure some consistency.
The rotstep meta is a lglite/mlcad step meta extension, so I figured it needs to act like a normal step but with camera control.

This document seems to agree with this (chapter 6)
http://lm-software.com/mlcad/Specification_V2.0.pdf

So technically this could be a LPub bug? Or maybe it's such an old issue it became the new behavior? Is there more software using it as a info meta only?
I rather like the fact that LPub doesn't treat it like a step. It makes it easier to see where the steps are in e.g. the source window.
Roland Melkert Wrote:
Brendan Mauro Wrote:If I had to vote for which program to match, I would say Lpub3D all the way - but maybe this needs to be discussed with Trevor to ensure some consistency.
The rotstep meta is a lglite/mlcad step meta extension, so I figured it needs to act like a normal step but with camera control.

This document seems to agree with this (chapter 6)
http://lm-software.com/mlcad/Specification_V2.0.pdf

So technically this could be a LPub bug? Or maybe it's such an old issue it became the new behavior? Is there more software using it as a info meta only?

Whoops, I spoke too soon. LPub does recognize a ROTSTEP as a step. What I was seeing was LPub being smart and recognizing that multiple STEPs or ROTSTEPs with no parts between them as null and not printing blank steps as a result. So a STEP followed by some metadata and a ROTSTEP is still considered one step.
In fact, LPub3D treats it like a step also. However, if nothing is inserted between the ROTSTEP meta and the next STEP meta then there is nothing for LPub3D to do - no automatic blank page is displayed.

I thought about replacing the STEP meta when ROTSTEP is inserted but I opted to keep the functionality as it was in LPub4 to maintain compatibility.

Cheers,
Please keep ROTSTEPS recognized as STEPS in LPub3D?
If we would change this now, many files won't be backwards compatible anymore!
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
Trevor Sandy Wrote:In fact, LPub3D treats it like a step also. However, if nothing is inserted between the ROTSTEP meta and the next STEP meta then there is nothing for LPub3D to do - no automatic blank page is displayed.
That's logical no reason to include blank steps/pages Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »