Change to header specs

Change to header specs
Dear LSB,

please discuss and vote the following change to the Official Library Header Specification:

Quote:Appendix VI
Programs relying on the parts.lst file rather then the LDRAW_ORG meta-statement use special characters to prevent the parts being included in the list:

- the descriptions of all subparts (i.e. line 4 = '0 !LDRAW_ORG Subpart') must start with '~'
- the description of all obsolete parts, maintained for backwards compatibility must start with '~'
- the descriptions of all aliases (i.e. line 4 = '0 !LDRAW_ORG Part Alias') must start with '='
- the descriptions of all physical colour parts (i.e. line 4 = '0 !LDRAW_ORG Part Physical_Colour') should start with '_'

The use of '~' for part files is at the author's discretion, to hide mouldings that are not released independently. This is one case where merely reading the LDRAW_ORG line is insufficient for tools to know how to treat the file.

Thx, w.
LEGO ergo sum
Re: Change to header specs
It sounds good to me.
I'm ok with it in principle but would suggest changing:

Willy Tschager Wrote:The use of '~' for part files is at the author's discretion, to hide mouldings that are not released independently. This is one case where merely reading the LDRAW_ORG line is insufficient for tools to know how to treat the file.

to

Quote:The use of '~' for non "s\" part files is at the author's discretion, to hide mouldings that are not released independently. This is one case where merely reading the LDRAW_ORG line is insufficient for tools to know how to treat the file.
I am happy with that.

I'd still be keen to enhance the LDRAW_ORG line to make that semantically robust.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Since there have been no more responses to this topic, I did a call for votes (in its own thread).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »