Any interest in Java API?

Any interest in Java API?
Hello all after a long absence. I started a new job last summer, and it has taken up a lot of my time.

I am revisiting a pet project of mine - a Java API to parse and represent LDraw files.
This was started a few years ago when I wanted to create .dat files from AutoCAD .dxf files.
I had a working prototype that got lost in between computers, and am starting to recreate it.

Well, I'm starting over, and was wondering if any one is interested in the effort. If there are any programmers out there that want to see the preliminaries, I can start a project out on SourceForge. The source itself will be initially be in my name, and I need to make sure that anything I put out there conforms to the licensing agreements for the Java3D and the Apache commons APIs. I do plan for the effort to be able to be used for creating Java applications in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution Licence.

The intent is to:
- Fully represent the part file specification including the standard meta comments.
- Support the Java3D and the commons-math APIs for representing vector and matrix data.
- Actually give me some time doing development work in an area that also interests me.

Once I'm at a point that this is complete, tested, and documented. I'll be going back to that DXF parser and DXF-DAT app I started.

Why Java? I like and respect what Java has become. I know bytecode can be slower than optimized compiled code, but it's not that bad, and my experience is that sloppy programming is what makes a Java (or any) application perform badly.

Why bother? Why not. I'm a programmer and I enjoy programming and even if it never gets accepted or used, I'm enjoying the journey.
- Greg
"The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked"
Re: Any interest in Java API?
Hi Greg,
I'm definitely not a programmer, even less a Java one... so I can't say I'm interested by your Java API - I couldn't use it. Nonetheless I have scribbled several LDraw authoring tools (http://philohome.com/ldraw.htm), if you find any piece of code interesting you can use it as you wish. Warning: I won't be held responsible if you get a heart attack seeing my code Wink
Thanks Philo! I won't have a heart-attack. You've been a hero of mine since I first saw some of your mindstorms creations.
I am considering porting to .net too at some point, as I want to play with coding for DirectX.
I'll start posting some UML on this thread as I go.
With just a handful of comment types, I'm reading most of the header in 13591 files in just over 15 seconds.
- Greg
"The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked"
Hello,

I think that such library could be useful. As far as I know there is no such java library. Now when I want to use some information from .dat or .ldr I have to parse file case by case. If you are planing to release such library than I'll use it at cubiculus for showing more information from files.

regards Jan
i'll be interested Smile
some time ago, i searched around and there are indeed some projects in the web, to parse LDraw, to different degrees of completeness.
I'll be able to provide some insight i think Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »