LDraw.org 2014-01 Parts Update Now Available

LDraw.org 2014-01 Parts Update Now Available
The 2014-01 LDraw Parts Update has been now been released. This update includes 454 new files in the core library, including 262 new parts and 28 new primitives.

Thanks are once again due to all the part authors who created or corrected parts for this release and to the reviewers who have played an important role in making this release happen.

You can preview the new parts in 2014-01 and download the update from the Latest Parts page.

No new "Physical colour" parts are included in this update as we still intend to move these to a separate section of the LDraw file structure, to more closely fit with the "DesignID" vs. "ItemID" concept. A number of such parts on the Parts Tracker are awaiting admin review, but will not be released until this concept has been implemented.

Despite this being a substantial update, it has really only matched the number of new files submitted since Parts Update 2013-02 was released in December 2013. Although there is clearly an appeal to working on new parts, it would be good to try and reduce the backlog of held or insufficiently reviewed parts. Please remember that if the last author has not responded to a "Hold" within three months, it is considered open for anyone to pick up. Held files can be located on the Parts Tracker here.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Re: LDraw.org 2014-01 Parts Update Now Available
Congratulations everybody, another great release out of the door. Thank you Chris and everybody for all your hard work.

On the note of updating held parts, please consider my parts open for everybody to improve unless I hold them for rework myself. I'm a busy person and often don't have the time to revisit old parts...
Many thanks to all the people involved!

I've already started to update the MLCad.ini file and would like to point to the following naming:

* For the sake of consistency we should harmonize the "Armour" versus "Armor"
* Since the review log is no longer accessible it would be interesting knowing why all the "Buckets" haven't been grouped in the "Minifig" category naming them "Minifig Bucket"

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Willy Tschager Wrote:* For the sake of consistency we should harmonize the "Armour" versus "Armor"
Definitely. I'll re-cycle them as "Armour", but there are quite a few pre-2014-01 files with this inconsistency.
Willy Tschager Wrote:* Since the review log is no longer accessible it would be interesting knowing why all the "Buckets" haven't been grouped in the "Minifig" category naming them "Minifig Bucket"
Because nobody mentioned it during review, and I missed it. If anything they should be in the "Minifig Accessory" category, rather than "Minifig" which is used for body parts. However, they aren't really an accessory without the handle.
Can they be gripped when the handle is vertical, without clashing with the minifig's legs? If so, does it make sense for just 12884c01 and 95343c01 to be moved from "Container" to "Minifig Accessory"? If not maybe we should make ...c03 versions that have the handle at the correct angle to be carried by a minifig - and only put those in the "Minifig Accessory" category.
Is the handle part alone a "Minifig Accessory" - it does seem wrong for it to be a "Contianer".
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Chris Dee Wrote:Because nobody mentioned it during review, and I missed it. If anything they should be in the "Minifig Accessory" category, rather than "Minifig" which is used for body parts. However, they aren't really an accessory without the handle.
Can they be gripped when the handle is vertical, without clashing with the minifig's legs? If so, does it make sense for just 12884c01 and 95343c01 to be moved from "Container" to "Minifig Accessory"? If not maybe we should make ...c03 versions that have the handle at the correct angle to be carried by a minifig - and only put those in the "Minifig Accessory" category.
Is the handle part alone a "Minifig Accessory" - it does seem wrong for it to be a "Contianer".

Good point. Separate the ..c version from the rest wouldn't make sense neither, so leave everything as it is.
I've added them to the Generator with a 50 degree rotation:

"Bucket 1 x 1 x 1 Conical with Raised Handle" "95343C01.DAT" 0 0 -0.642788 -0.766044 1 0 0 0 -0.766044 0.642788 0 -1.5 0
"Bucket 1 x 1 x 1 Cylindrical with Raised Handle" "12884C01.DAT" 0 0 -0.642788 -0.766044 1 0 0 0 -0.766044 0.642788 0 -1.5 0

w.
LEGO ergo sum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »