11767 // 11140 fly wheel Lego Chima

11767 // 11140 fly wheel Lego Chima
Hi,

though not yet registered as a part submitter I felt the need to model some parts since my boys are quite addicted to Lego Chima.
In 11767 there is a wheel (11140) made from a metal, apparently tin, but I don't know it for sure.
What would be the appropriate color for this part? Any ideas?

Ingolf

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Re: 11767 // 11140 fly wheel Lego Chima
I would use color 494 for that since it is the color used commonly for parts made out of metal rather than plastic. The part looks pretty good so far, looking forward for the finished version!

If I can drop a note in here I would imagine the outer wheel edge should be hi-res. Perhaps use a 48/4-4aring at the edge and then use hi-res whatever you use for the actual blue wheel?
Registering as a Part Author is straightforward, and so long as I am awake and connected, requests are dealt with quickly. You just need to read the Contributor Agreement and confirm that you agree by sending an email containing the words "I accept the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement with regards to all past and future contributions I make to LDraw.org" to [email protected], and include your true name and LDraw forum ID.

Regarding this "part", it should really be submitted as three files
11125.dat - the frame
11140.dat - the wheel
u9081.dat - the tyre (unless someone knows the true design ID for this)

It would be good to have an "complete" assembly as 11125c01.dat

Thanks for working on this.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Santeri Piippo Wrote:I would use color 494 for that since it is the color used commonly for parts made out of metal rather than plastic. The part looks pretty good so far, looking forward for the finished version!

If I can drop a note in here I would imagine the outer wheel edge should be hi-res. Perhaps use a 48/4-4aring at the edge and then use hi-res whatever you use for the actual blue wheel?

Thank you for the reply. C494 looks good.
Actually I made a quick and dirty hi-res for the torus and it looks much better, so maybe I redesign the wheel at least in the outer parts before I submit it to the parts tracker (I have to do a bit of reading in the rules there as well Smile ).
(Unfortuneatly I can't use any primitives for the wheel, because I modeled it in 60deg-segments in order to take advantage of this highly symmetric part. But all the primitives are 22.5deg (/4) or 3.75deg (/48)).

regards, Ingolf
Actually, the hi-res primitives use a 360/48 = 7.5 degree interval and 60 degrees is a multiple of this and amounts to 8 segments. See the 48/1-6*.dat files.
Chris Dee Wrote:Regarding this "part", it should really be submitted as three files
11125.dat - the frame
11140.dat - the wheel
u9081.dat - the tyre (unless someone knows the true design ID for this)

It would be good to have an "complete" assembly as 11125c01.dat

Thanks for working on this.

Hello,

thank you for your kind reply. Of course I will register in the near future.
And thank you as well for the proposal of the part numbers, but it confuses me.
The plastic-wheel frame has the number 11125 modeled in the part, the wheel has a 11140. But for the complete assembly I thought it would be a 11767 as in http://rebrickable.com/parts/11767.
And the tyre: I would have modeled it directly into the 11140 part. Why exactly the u9081.dat? I don't mind, but I want to understand. (But I'm still reading in the files, so maybe the answer lies behind the next link Smile I remember that I read a page about part numbering but cant find it in this moment)
And: what about the metal axle? Is it a seperate part? Or just 2 lines of code in the 11125c01.dat? I'm not sure about this.

regards, Ingolf
Santeri Piippo Wrote:Actually, the hi-res primitives use a 360/48 = 7.5 degree interval and 60 degrees is a multiple of this and amounts to 8 segments. See the 48/1-6*.dat files.

...ooookay, I thought of having a 180/... because of the /8. So have to have a look at my part if I can made use of some hi-res-primitives.

a never ending story Smile but not today!

regards, Ingolf
Yes, please use 11767 instead of 11125c01. I wasn't aware that we knew the number for the assembly.

Each separate physical element should be a separate LDraw file - so yes, the axle (trivial though it is) should be a separate file. The uNNNN numbers are used where we don't know the LEGO Design ID for the part see here. Regular authors can request (from me) a block of uNNNN number, or I assign them individually as required. There is no inherent meaning to u9081, so please use that for the tyre and u9082 for the axle.
Your parts look good for sure, pretty complex one for a first!
There is one drawback of using hires torus for the tire: hires primitives are hires for major and minor radii, resulting in a uselessly large number of facets. So you may want to create a subfile with a reduced number of segments for the small radius.

Edit: looking again at the part, I see that a torus wouldn't match tire shape anyway, so my previous comment is mostly pointless Wink
Chris Dee Wrote:Yes, please use 11767 instead of 11125c01. I wasn't aware that we knew the number for the assembly.

Each separate physical element should be a separate LDraw file - so yes, the axle (trivial though it is) should be a separate file. The uNNNN numbers are used where we don't know the LEGO Design ID for the part see here. Regular authors can request (from me) a block of uNNNN number, or I assign them individually as required. There is no inherent meaning to u9081, so please use that for the tyre and u9082 for the axle.

Hallo,

after a little while I worked on a hi-res version of 11140 as recommended by Santeri Piippo which renders much more beautiful than my previous one.
But before I upload my parts one more question: do I have to model the outer cylinder of this wheel? It will never be visible, apart from that I don't know the shape of the wheel under the rubber. Same question for the axlehole: you never will see it in the complete part 11767, so do I have to model it? Please see the 2 pics.

regards, Ingolf

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that "needs work" would apply to this case where you don't know what the geometry looks like under the tire. Please read the text describing "needs work" in the linked spec.
Yes, you should attempt to fill in the outer rim, and yes you should model the axle hole.

It doesn't seem too difficult to see the profile of the groove by prising up the rubber tyre, as it is not glued on. But I can understand if you don't want to do that. The matching inside of the tyre has the same profile, and should also be modeled as a closed surface.

This is what the profile looks like to me:

2 0 -8 0 -32 -6 0 -32
2 0 -6 0 -32 -2 0 -28
2 0 -2 0 -28 -2 0 -26
2 0 -2 0 -26 2 0 -26
2 0 2 0 -26 2 0 -28
2 0 2 0 -28 6 0 -32
2 0 6 0 -32 8 0 -32

Thanks for continuing to work on this.
Chris Dee Wrote:Yes, you should attempt to fill in the outer rim, and yes you should model the axle hole.

It doesn't seem too difficult to see the profile of the groove by prising up the rubber tyre, as it is not glued on. But I can understand if you don't want to do that.

...well, I didn't even consider it. And I was quite surprised how easy it was Smile

But did you manage to remove the axle? I tried as well but wasn't succesful.

Ingolf
No, I have not tried to remove the wheel from the frame. I suspect there is a small amount of flex in the frame that allows the wheel and axle to be snapped into place.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »