973pr2538c01 Emmet's torso from the Lego Movie

973pr2538c01 Emmet's torso from the Lego Movie
I've written my own simple LDraw exporter for Blender (Link). And as a way of testing it, I modeled the construction worker torso from the Lego Movie.
Maybe someone is interested in it. Feel free to use it as you see fit.

[Image: 973pr2538c01.jpg]

Attached Files
.dat   973pr2538c01.dat (Size: 21.99 KB / Downloads: 1)
Re: 973pr2538c01 Emmet's torso from the Lego Movie
Wouldn't you like to simply get an account for the LDRAW parts tracker
(that's our location where new parts are born)
and upload it there?

http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/
I considered it. But this is probably a one shot. I just wanted to create something useful, for testing my exporter. I just don't have the time to find out the ins and outs of submitting parts.
Feel free to submit it to the part tracker yourself. You don't have to credit me. Consider it CC0.
I've uploaded it to

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...973p8i.dat
What about the affirmation of our CA from that author??
Sorry, Earnest needs to affirm the CA, just like every other official library contributor has, by sending email to [email protected], containing the words "I accept the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement with regards to all past and future contributions I make to LDraw.org". It is not sufficient merely to post "Consider it CCO" here.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
CC0 means it's in the public domain. Steffen or anybody else is free to claim it for themselves and do what they want with it. Take it or leave it.
There's no copyright for code. At least not where I live. And I couldn't possibly claim a copyright for a Lego piece.
Come on guys, we should be happy that Earnest has donated this file to our library this way.

His above statements are equivalent to to accepting the CA.

I think we shouldn't be trying to play lawyers here.

I took the file to the PT, including putting it under our normal license. Earnest has agreed to doing so here,
so everything is fine.
I agree with Steffen, the part is public domain so we should be in the clear to use it under the CCAL.
Thanks for being reasonable about this. Just replace my name in the file with yours. I honestly do not care.
Hi Earnest,

I am hesitating to do so, simply because it's you who is the author.
I would feel bad putting my name there, taking away the credits.
What sense should that make?
I could put myself into a !HISTORY line as uploader, if that's desired.

I think we should stick more to common sense here than to formal argumentation.
Aren't Earnest's statements above worth the same as that e-mail to you, Chris?
We all are no laywers, but Earnest has expressed clearly above that we may incorporate
his file under our license into our library.

- Steffen
Steffen Wrote:we may incorporate his [single] file under our license into our library.
is not the same as the Contributor Agreement which applies to "to all past and future contributions [the author] makes to LDraw.org". I don't want to handle licensing agreements on a file-by-file basis.

Earnest - the Contributor Agreement is not long or complex. if you could just take a few minutes to review that and post here or email to me ([email protected]) the statement "I accept the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement with regards to all past and future contributions I make to LDraw.org", I can grant you author rights and the file can be a candidate for the official library.
@Steffen: I don't feel bad about it. So you don't have to either. I just want to end this silly discussion.

@Chris Dee: I can't give you, what I don't have. I'm quite certain, that LDraw files can't be copyrighted. And forcing me to accept a less generous license than the one I chose, is perfectly absurd.
Earnest J. Banbury Wrote:@Chris Dee: I can't give you, what I don't have. I'm quite certain, that LDraw files can't be copyrighted. And forcing me to accept a less generous license than the one I chose, is perfectly absurd.

Does the "license" you choose apply to this and any potential future contribution to LDraw?
If it makes you happy.
Thanks - I'll treat that as an affirmation of the CA and have granted you submit rights on the LDraw Parts Tracker.
good!

the part is now reviewed and admin-certified and will be contained in the next LDRAW parts update.

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...973p8i.dat
Anyone fancy doing other Emmet related parts such as the hips/legs and the hair piece (looks like a new hair piece to me?)

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?M=tlm018

Reuben
Here's the hair piece converted from LDD. It's missing a lot of lines, but is otherwise usable.

Attached Files
.dat   15443.dat (Size: 172.31 KB / Downloads: 0)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »