LDPatternCreator - Major Security Release 1.5.7

LDPatternCreator - Major Security Release 1.5.7
Hello,

after only two days: Here is an admin-rights-free and more user friendly LPC release!

If you are already using a version greater than 1.5.0 you cannot update your installation by clicking on "Help -> Install Updates" anymore.
Please download and install the latest release directly from sourceforge.net.

Change log:

New features:
  • Improved security: Admin rights are no longer required!!
  • The internal updater was removed due to security concerns
  • Your configuration files are now stored under "[System Partition Letter]:\Users\[Your username]\App Data\Roaming\Nils Schmidt\LDPatternCreator"
  • Windows XP is no longer supported (I have no machine to test on it)
  • "Fast triangulation II": when "Add Trangle" is activated and no vertex was selected on click, a new vertex will be created for this triangle.

1. When CTRL is pressed "Add Triangle" will not abort on right mouse clicks (standard behaviour since 1.3.6)
    2. When CTRL is pressed "Fast triangulation" will not search for new edges near the cursor
    3. When SHIFT is pressed "Fast triangulation" will search for new edges near adjacent triangles from the last created triangle
  • The numbers shown on the x- and y-axis are more accurate

As always, I included a short readme.htm in the installation directory.

Cheers & Leg Godt

Nils

edit: Sorry, I had forgotten a few important things and had to do a little re-deployment Smile
Re: LDPatternCreator - Major Security Release 1.5.6
Wow! All thumbs up!!!
Fast triangulation demo video
I uploaded a little demo video to show you the abilities of the new fast triangulation feature.

Demo video on YouTube
Re: Fast triangulation demo video
That looks really cool. I have to do some pattern again I think Smile
Re: LDPatternCreator - Major Security Release 1.5.7
I'm confused.
The Updater doesn't seem to do anything for me.
I have, if I check Installed Programs, version 1.5.2. on a Win7 64.
If I open About it says that I have version 1.5.5 installed. I ran the Updater this monday.

If I now click Update it answers that there is a new version available.
It seems to start something and closes the prompter, but no update is installed. I still have 1.5.5.
Same OS, same problem here. Worked fine on my XP...
I will provide a fix for version 1.5.5 only. Unfortunately, I can't provide support for XP machines anymore. I switched to Win 7 on all my machines, but I'm happy that 1.5.7. still works on XP Smile

Nonetheless, I have to quote myself from the post above Wink

Nils Schmidt Wrote:If you are already using a version greater than 1.5.0 you can't update your installation by clicking on "Help -> Install Updates" anymore.

Which means that the user has to download and install it directly from sourceforge.
I abandoned the updater due to security reasons.
I had the same problem...and I think, we all have not seen the little word "don't" in this line. :-D

/Max
Sorry, some day I'll learn to read complete notice, and not only the new features Wink
And yes, I confirm it works fine on XP.
Did you improve speed in this version? It seems much faster on my Win7 machine where I had to reduce window size to get acceptable performance.
Quote:Improved security: Admin rights are no longer required!!
The shortcut created by the installer seems to use admin mode (but indeed the program works in non-admin mode)
Nils Schmidt Wrote:I will provide a fix for version 1.5.5 only.
Much to my regret, I can't provide this fix...
You have to uninstall version 1.5.5 from your computer and do a fresh installation.
One small word makes a big difference... ;-)
Hello Nils,

First of all let me say that the LPC is an amazing tool! Working a lot with it!

I have two issues currently:

- Fast triangulation does not seem to work:
I have V1.5.7 installed on Win 7 and I wathced your video over and over, but I can't get the chain of triangles in the wa you do. The automatic edge selection is not working :-(

- Mirroring:
I have a perfectly symmetric file, the vertices are not distributed symmetrically but the outer vertices are, e.g. +/-59 0 +/-10. If I do mirror on Y I get some values with up to 4 decimals, when doing a mirror on X the whole drawing is mirrored but also moved down a bit.

Thansk

Gerald

Attached Files
.lpc   4633_4116878_a.lpc (Size: 18.57 KB / Downloads: 0)
I let Nils provide more detailed explanations if needed, but in the meantime...
- Fast triangulation: there is a feature enable in edit menu, here Fast triangulation and Fast triangulation II are both checked.
- Mirroring occur - AFAIK - centered on center of mass of selection, giving weird decimals and so on. Because of this I almost never use this feature, but instead use "mirror with merge". Important: while simple mirror does mirror selection, mirror with merge first duplicate selection then mirrors the duplicate. If you copy/paste first, you get overlaps...
Philippe Hurbain Wrote:I let Nils provide more detailed explanations if needed, but in the meantime...
- Fast triangulation: there is a feature enable in edit menu, here Fast triangulation and Fast triangulation II are both checked.
Yes, I had both of them checked, tried also with only a single selection, neither does the job as smoothly as Nils shows it in his YT video. Will wait for his comment

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:- Mirroring occur - AFAIK - centered on center of mass of selection, giving weird decimals and so on. Because of this I almost never use this feature, but instead use "mirror with merge". Important: while simple mirror does mirror selection, mirror with merge first duplicate selection then mirrors the duplicate. If you copy/paste first, you get overlaps...
The mirror with merge works perfectly, right! I will keep using this method instead. About the duplication I learned th hard way, as I once had a file wil close to a 1000 overlaps!
I accidentally stumbled on a LPC hidden feature (confirmed by Nils): merging two vertices (ctrl+W) triggers a clean-up that removes most overlaps...
Bug report:

* Hide the background picture
* Save the file
* Close LDPC and fire it up again
* Loading the file, Offset and Scale for the background pic. have been reset to default

To work around this bug, open a file version where the background pic. hasn't been hidden prior saving. Copying those values to the all-zero-version will restor your pic.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Philippe Hurbain Wrote:I accidentally stumbled on a LPC hidden feature (confirmed by Nils): merging two vertices (ctrl+W) triggers a clean-up that removes most overlaps...
I noticed thia as well! very handy!

Willy Tschager Wrote:To work around this bug, open a file version where the background pic. hasn't been hidden prior saving. Copying those values to the all-zero-version will restor your pic.

I accidently stumbled over the following:
- doing triangles and presisng ALT does the job for me
- pressing SHIFT while doing this will move the continuation of triangles when you move to the "other" end of your construction.

...interesting
Nils,

I know you're busy on the editor so I'll put down the following just for the record:

* It would be good if the model import would also accept .ldr and not just .dat
* You have to inline primitives that are vertical to the surface you are projecting. Say you are importing a rect.dat which is vertical to the xz plane. You won't get any vertices if rect.dat hasn't been inlined first.
* Edges or primitives containing just edges such as recte4.dat cannot be projected and won't produce any vertices.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Hi Willy,

I put your feature request in my ticket system for LPC next to other pending items for future versions
and I will take a closer look after LDPartEditor is released.

Cheers,

Nils
Another little glitch for later... when you import a file with primitives (eg. 4-4disc) and re-export it as .dat, these primitives are BFC inverted (primitive directly created in LDDP are in the correct direction)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »