iPhone/iPad app?

iPhone/iPad app?
Just wondering if anybody has thought of making a viewer program for LDraw for the iPhone/iPad. I think it would be a handy thing to have. I'm not sure if either device would have the power/ability to be as good as, say, MLCad running on a PC to build with, but they might be acceptable for simple viewing (for showing off) or for step-by-step instructions.
I figured I just throw the idea out there......
Re: iPhone/iPad app?
Been thinking about it. Right now the biggest issue is how to package the library. I'm thinking the best way would to probably convert to a binary format and store in a compressed file. Also, I think that the iPhone/iPod Touch platform is to small. Any reasonably useful app would probably be iPad only.
Hello,

I'm working on an application for display ldraw models on iPad/iPhone. Actually this application is in beta state. Main functionality work, but it need some work on User Interface and error management.
The application display an ldraw model, full or step by step. You can rotate, translate or zoom the model. Models are loaded from iTunes file sharing or from another application (example : file attachment in Mail, link in Safari, or file in dropbox).
You are limited by the size of model. Ressources on iPad are limited, and I need to handle gracefully case of loading a too big model (actually my application crash, that is not a good behavior).
For the ldraw library, I have embedded in application official ldraw library in a zip file, part and primitive are unzipped on demand and saved in a cache directory.
I have tested my application only on iPad actually, and application can run only on iOS5 (i use some framework available only in this version).
That's great news. I considered doing an iOS port of LDView, but never got around to it for two reasons:
  • Time
  • $99 per year required to post apps on the app store
I too am working on an iOS app similar to Renaud, soon to be released for beta testing (within the next few weeks). Resources are an issue, but my app can handle models with 1500 - 1600 parts. The Imperial Star Destroyer is a good high water mark and I have a few ideas on getting past it.
I'd be happy to test and report back when your ready. I can send you my iPad UDID whenever you like.