LDraw.org Discussion Forums
How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) (/thread-7286.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - Allen Smith - 2012-12-19

If you follow the jailbreak community, you know that Apple has done pretty much everything in its considerable power to stop it. And you also know that they have been succeeding. There is no available jailbreak for any device Apple is currently selling. There is never any guarantee that jailbreaks will continue to be found, or that there will be any measure of reliability once they are. (Since Apple has been extremely successful in preventing jailbreakers from installing the system software versions of their choice, if you bork your jailbreaked device, it's borked forever. You can't just do a clean reinstall.) I have a jailbroken iPad. And based on that experience, yes, I'm ignoring jailbreaking. It was the most effective advertisement for Android I have ever seen.

As to the $100 per year: sure, if it were just a "maintenance cost" to pay for hosting services which could be comparison-shopped, I wouldn't have a problem. But it is not. It is a monopolistically-imposed entrance fee which buys you temporary permission to develop on Apple hardware.

Allen

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - Ken Drew - 2012-12-19

Paul Griffin Wrote:Oh, it's paid? Did I just forget that I purchased it, or was it free at some point?

I apologize in advance if I do end up stomping on your work. But this idea has been in my head for a year now and won't go away until it's built. And now that I have found some spare time...

It has been a paid app since the end of August.

No need to apologize. I understand how you can have a code worm in your head that must be purged.

Off-topic rant: Re: How I learned to stop worrying... - Tim Gould - 2012-12-19

Allen Smith Wrote:It was the most effective advertisement for Android I have ever seen.

Apple's monopolistic control freak behaviour (see eg. iTunes) is one of the main reasons I've never gone down the convenient "It is *nix and a pretty OS all in one" Mac route. Even though it would be kind of convenient.

Tim

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - Allen Smith - 2012-12-19

Roland Melkert Wrote:…android isn't much better though.

I have only seen evidence which contradicts that assertion. I can install any software I want on my Android device, including software that I have developed with no permission or knowledge from Google. I can distribute that software directly on the Internet without going through any app store, and users can install it freely on their Android devices with no out-of-box modification of their software. In other words, it works just like my desktop computer. That's my definition of an open system.

On iOS, the App Store is a distribution monopoly. Conversely, Android was designed to allow people the freedom to acquire software any way they like. Google Play is a convenient way to do so, but it is by no means the only legitimate way, or even the only convenient way.

Allen

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - Paul Griffin - 2012-12-19

Good point(s). And, yes, the lack of a current jailbreak is even affecting my income quite substantially (like 25%). But the lack of a current jailbreak can be attributed to laziness and noncooperation. I'm fairly confident that all the pieces are available for an iOS 6 untethered jailbreak, but to only two guys.

Sure, but what about an iOS 6.1 unthethered jailbreak? What happens if Apple just hires those two guys? What happens if those two guys get run over by a bus? What if they have kids and run out of time to pore over machine code looking for security exploits? Are you smart enough to do it yourself? What if Apple sues them all under the DMCA? (Recall, the Library of Congress specifically declined to make an exception for tablet jailbreaking.)

Most people will reasonably give up after one of those questions. Even if there are enough really smart people to keep jailbreaking alive in perpetuity, it will never be consistently reliable or up-to-date on the latest hardware. Without a change of values at Apple, it will never be a legitimate distribution model.

Allen

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - Roland Melkert - 2012-12-19

If so it's more open then I thought, but concerning android I was more hinting on the joint at the hip with Google thing. And that's just another ms/apple to me Smile

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - Paul Griffin - 2013-03-29

Progress is coming along nicely; I've got a part browser and a color browser fully functional. Can't wait until I get this to be a full-fledged editor. But it's amazingly complicated to fit so many options on the screen on an iPhone.

I've even got the following model running at 10+ fps:

[Image: rSwrDTJ.jpg]

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - Philippe Hurbain - 2013-03-29

Eagerly waiting for Android port Wink

Re: How I learned to stop worrying and love Ldraw. (Subtitle: questions for programmers) - Paul Griffin - 2014-07-28

Time to resurrect a dead thread! Yippee!

I've been working on this project as I've had time over the last 1.5 years (yadda yadda life gets tough), but have made a lot of steady progress recently. So, here's to sharing more photos.

I built the following models inside the app (on an iPad, of course)

[Image: A2dKV35.png][Image: XDkrEfU.jpg]

aand...the following screenshots were taken inside the app.

[Image: 6mhvvBB.jpg][Image: g5tv9LL.jpg]

Sadly, I still need to build up support for three key components: submodel editing, step editing, and part snapping - but I'm quite pleased with how it's going! Perhaps you'll see it before December!