LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Announcing mklist2 - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: All Other Programs. (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Announcing mklist2 (/thread-4827.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Announcing mklist2 - Tim Gould - 2012-05-10

Hi all,

Following recent discussion on changes to the parts library (specifically new leading characters for aliases and longer filenames) I've written a new version of mklist to ensure that backwards compatibility can be maintained, while also giving a little more power to the users.

Features not appearing in mklist are:
  • Ensure <=64 character titles using a shortening technique
  • Ignore parts with user supplied leading characters (eg. =, _)
  • Strip off leading characters (eg. ~)
  • Remove parts with duplicate names (experimental feature)

The code is also open source so it can easily be modified in future.

Find it here with a pre-compiled Windows executable. The code itself is exceedingly basic C++ so should compile on any OS using a gnu (or compatible) compiler with minimal changes.

Tim

Re: Announcing mklist2 - Willy Tschager - 2012-05-12

Dear Mr. Gould,

since you've put much effort and knowledge in the creation of this program - for which I'm eternally thankful - I would humbly suggest that you go all the way. May I suggest that:
  • You add a user-friendly GUI with checkboxes for the different options.
  • Add the possibility to sort out also Unofficials based on the 0 !LDRAW_ORG meta, which might be helpful for all those who simply dump everything into the Parts and P folder and do not work with Unofficial\Parts, Unofficial\Parts
  • Write a deep tech tutorial with just a little bit more information as one can find in the current help, explaining what the [C] stands for, why there are quotes in "mklist2 -d -h=_ -1~" and to what it leads to ripping the ~ character from the description.
  • Add a feature which will place all pattern versions at the end of say "Bricks" or "Plates" bases on the p character in the part number and also sorted by description or number in order to have:

Brick 1x1
    Brick 1x2
    Brick 2x2
    Brick 1 x 1 with Angry Eye Left/Sad Eye Right Pattern
    Brick 1 x 2 with Classic Space Logo Pattern

• May I further suggest a name change and in the spirit of the LDraw System of Tools call it LDList, or LDPartsListMaker, or ...

Yours sincerely,

w.

Re: Announcing mklist2 - Tim Gould - 2012-05-12

Thanks Willy,
  • You add a user-friendly GUI with checkboxes for the different options.

This is a bit difficult for me to do as I really don't have the tools to write a GUI. That said the code is out there so for someone who did it would be very straightforward to process.

• Add the possibility to sort out also Unofficials based on the 0 !LDRAW_ORG meta, which might be helpful for all those who simply dump everything into the Parts and P folder and do not work with Unofficial\Parts, Unofficial\Parts

Processing that line is on my todo list but will require a bigger change. It will happen though.

• Write a deep tech tutorial with just a little bit more information as one can find in the current help, explaining what the [C] stands for, why there are quotes in "mklist2 -d -h=_ -1~" and to what it leads to ripping the ~ character from the description.

I shall. Actually I think all these could be illustrated neatly with an example.

• Add a feature which will place all pattern versions at the end of say "Bricks" or "Plates" bases on the p character in the part number and also sorted by description or number in order to have: Brick 1x1, Brick 1x2, Brick 2x2, Brick 1 x 1 with Angry Eye Left/Sad Eye Right Pattern, Brick 1 x 2 with Classic Space Logo Pattern

Interesting thought. I'll have a think about how this might be implemented but I can't think of a trivial way to do so, or for that matter any way that's not highly complicated. Unless... they have more info in the header. (eg. Part_Patterened).

• May I further suggest a name change and in the spirit of the LDraw System of Tools call it LDList, or LDPartsListMaker, or ...

This is a good idea. I will rename it.

Re: Announcing mklist2 - Tim Gould - 2012-05-13

[*] Add a feature which will place all pattern versions at the end of say "Bricks" or "Plates" bases on the p character in the part number and also sorted by description or number in order to have: Brick 1x1, Brick 1x2, Brick 2x2, Brick 1 x 1 with Angry Eye Left/Sad Eye Right Pattern, Brick 1 x 2 with Classic Space Logo Pattern

Interesting thought. I'll have a think about how this might be implemented but I can't think of a trivial way to do so, or for that matter any way that's not highly complicated. Unless... they have more info in the header. (eg. Part_Patterened).

I have an idea now.

Tim

Re: Announcing mklist2 - Steffen - 2012-05-13

+1 for this feature

Re: Announcing mklist2 - Philippe Hurbain - 2012-05-13

Another interesting possibility (already present in an Arezey tool) is to give the possibility to add primitives to the list. Useful for parts authors...

Re: Announcing mklist2 - Steffen - 2012-05-13

And one would need them also for LSYNTH bent parts generation...

To me, the files where LSYNTH generates bent parts from are primitives.

I find it not a good idea to put them into Parts just to see them im MLCad.
One can see them there as well when adding the "P" folder to mlcad.ini,
and creating a custom parts tree entry for LSYNTH.
I'd prefer to see these become primitives.

LDList Update 1 - Tim Gould - 2012-05-14

Worked some more on it. 0.9.2

Changes
  • Renamed to LDList
  • Can now strip unofficial files (see comment later)
  • Can sort patterns to the end of parts.lst. Doing it as Willy asked is just too hard for now but the current version should ensure MLCad shows them last
  • Can include primitives in Parts.lst

Stripping unofficial files is presently crude. I plan to write a better way to get all the part header info. One further question though: should this happen by default and be switched off or vice versa?

Re: Update 1 - Philippe Hurbain - 2012-05-14

Quote:Renamed to LDList
I suggest you edit the title of this post to "LDlist update 1" and make things clear Wink
Quote:Can include primitives in Parts.lst
Thanks! unfortunately I can't run ldlist on this machine (XP), after a relatively long run it quits with a "ungetc failed" message. Parts.lst is not created. Anything I can do to find problem origin? (it's quite possible that I have a very queer file in my LDraw folder!)?
Quote:should this happen by default
I see no reason to strip unofficial files by default!
Another very minor quirk: compression in your zip file is not managed by XP integrated unzipper.

Re: Update 1 - Tim Gould - 2012-05-14

Quote:Thanks! unfortunately I can't run ldlist on this machine (XP), after a relatively long run it quits with a "ungetc failed" message. Parts.lst is not created. Anything I can do to find problem origin? (it's quite possible that I have a very queer file in my LDraw folder!)?

That's kind of strange. If you have a file that's less than 4 lines long I can see it potentially having problems but I don't see why it would exit with that error. But C file input can be pretty odd and I've had to avoid the default line processing to make sure it works for newline in DOS or unix format.

I've uploaded a 0.9.3 executable to narrow down the file with the problem. If you could send me the file I'll see what's going wrong.

Tim