LDraw.org Discussion Forums
30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to finish? - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Authoring (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to finish? (/thread-3870.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Philippe Hurbain - 2012-03-23

Excellent! Just one thing, one triangle on top of up going middle bar is main color instead of gray.
Quote:I wanted to merge the two subfiles but there is an unmatched edge between these two. I can't get rid of it (except with the precision thing).
This is indeed a slight mismatch of coordinates (different projection -> different rounding!). Running Unificator with default parameters on the merged file cures the problem (attached).

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Daniel Goerner - 2012-03-23

Wow. I have to say, you're a genius, Philo. Writing all these little gadget programs to make a partauthor's life easier. Thank you.

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Daniel Goerner - 2012-03-23

Library Question: I have created 3 subfiles for this. Two only to be used with the Falcon canopy and one that I would use on the Mars Mission part, too. How do I name this 3rd part, since it's not compatible with the original 30485.

Ready for final check before submitting.

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Philippe Hurbain - 2012-03-23

Quote:Library Question: I have created 3 subfiles for this. Two only to be used with the Falcon canopy and one that I would use on the Mars Mission part, too. How do I name this 3rd part, since it's not compatible with the original 30485.

I wouldn't create the 3rd subpart, but use the primitive-based elements directly in main part. This can be discussed, as it introduces some T-junctions, but here it's imho a small price to pay.

Attached what I would do (that doesn't mean I am right Wink.
- moved condlines to their matching subparts.
- corrected the wrongly colored triangle in s01.
- s02 also had the lower right part that was BFC inverted (lines 155..223).
- The edge lines between conical front and cylindrical back was forgotten (it was not present in my "template"...). Restored it. As it was not present when you recreated condlines with edger2, Edger2 did create condlines there that were not needed. Deleted these condlines.

Name is wrong too, M. F. doesn't mean anything to the non-initiated. Unfortunately I was not able to coin a better name, submit as-is and ask for suggestion.

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to finish? - Daniel Goerner - 2012-03-23

Philippe \Philo\" Hurbain Wrote:I wouldn't create the 3rd subpart, but use the primitive-based elements directly in main part. This can be discussed, as it introduces some T-junctions, but here it's imho a small price to pay.

Attached what I would do (that doesn't mean I am right Wink.
- moved condlines to their matching subparts.
- corrected the wrongly colored triangle in s01.
- s02 also had the lower right part that was BFC inverted (lines 155..223).
- The edge lines between conical front and cylindrical back was forgotten (it was not present in my "template"...). Restored it. As it was not present when you recreated condlines with edger2, Edger2 did create condlines there that were not needed. Deleted these condlines.

Name is wrong too, M. F. doesn't mean anything to the non-initiated. Unfortunately I was not able to coin a better name, submit as-is and ask for suggestion.

I'm the noob around here, so I'll leave that to the experts. ;-)

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Steffen - 2012-03-24

I don't want to interrupt this creative process here,
but the question came to my mind if this forum currently evolves as a second parts tracker.
I think that we should avoid that for the long run, because people will start
downloading unofficial parts no longer from the PT, but also from here,
and files improvement takes place here, not on the PT.
Thus, this kind of creates a parallel universe.
I think you could just do this parts improvement iteration on the normal parts tracker.
To me, the parts tracker simply is a cooperative workbench.
What do you think?

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Philippe Hurbain - 2012-03-24

I initially feared that too, but it does have a documentary/educational side that is interesting. This discussion and intermediate files remain here, this can be helpful to other parts authors in the future.

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Daniel Goerner - 2012-03-24

You both got a point there. But as Steffen said, this is a creative and also learning process as I'm trying to learn how to do it right. And the more I learn the lesser parts I will upload here ;-).

Back to topic:
Philippe \Philo\" Hurbain Wrote:- moved condlines to their matching subparts.

I didn't use Edger2 to create the conlines. The condlines were created when I inlined the Primitives.
I'm still trying to find out what conditional lines are needed for. How do I know which condlines are needed and which not? And what condline belongs to what? Where's the difference between conlines and edgelines? I tried to create edgelines around my slopepattern, but Edger2 only said 4 unmatched edges and did nothing else. This all is still very confusing.

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Magnus Forsberg - 2012-03-24

Over at the Part Tracker I wrote this, here:

Ok, I'll try to explain the concept of the conditional line.
(Mainly to myself, but it might help someone else too)
Take two triangles, like this:
3 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0.5 0 1
3 16 0 0 0 0.5 0.2 -1 1 0 0
Around them are four edgelines.
2 24 0 0 0 0.5 0 1
2 24 0.5 0 1 1 0 0
2 24 1 0 0 0.5 0.2 -1
2 24 0.5 0.2 -1 0 0 0
[Image: image_9.png]
If there is an angle between these surfaces,
there must also be a conditional/optional line, along their common edge,
like this:
5 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0.5 0 1 0.5 0.2 -1
[Image: image_7.png]
not like this:
5 14 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.5 0 1 0.5 0.1 -1
The red line is the only correct one, since the controlpoints
are on the same plane as the farthest points of each of the two tringles.
This conditional line is only visible, if the controlpoints are
below the "horizon" created by the conditional line.
The yellow line has a control point above the end of one of the triangles.
It therefor "disappears" too early.
[Image: image_8.png]
There is one exception to the rule, cond-lines in primitives always have tangential controlpoints, at their end surfaces.
Cond-lines in a cyli-primitive are made to meet a flat surface next to it.
However, if that surface is placed in an other angle, you must add an extra cond-line.

Edit:
I've attached a file to study. Turn on/off "All conditional lines" and "Show control points" in LDView.