LDraw.org Discussion Forums
30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to finish? - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Authoring (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to finish? (/thread-3870.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to finish? - Daniel Goerner - 2012-03-19

This is what I want:
[Image: 30485pb01.gif].

The problem is, most of the printed area shown above uses primitives, and is also bent in a way that slicerpro can't handle (in a satifying way), or am I wrong? Any ideas how I could start (except rebuliding the part from scratch)?

Oh, and if we find a way, I would do this one also:
[Image: 30485pb02.gif]

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Philippe Hurbain - 2012-03-19

Quote:and is also bent in a way that slicerpro can't handle (in a satifying way)
Perfectly right... you can't properly do that in one step, since some surfaces are parallel to projection direction!. You have to do a partial pattern viewed and projected from top, and another viewed and projected from side.
In the attached file, the pink area will get the top projected pattern, yellow area will get left projected pattern, and green area will complete the half windscreen pattern subpart (or, since here the pattern is simple, put directly the pattern and its x-mirror in the patterned part). The only tricky part is to have both patterns meet properly (here it should be easy).

Quote:most of the printed area shown above uses primitives
Either inline everything in the former files, or check "expand subfiles in former (-sf)" option. In this case, don't forget to specify your LDraw folder in search path.

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Daniel Goerner - 2012-03-19

Um, okay, that sounds not too difficult. I'll try it.

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Daniel Goerner - 2012-03-19

Well, I learned something today. Primitives are beyond me. I don't get how they work, bend etc. I just tried to mirror your pattern to complete it. The triangles worked fine, but the primitives went nuts.

I tried to make a pattern for a tile round 2x2 and don't get how to put it on the part since the surface is a primitive. I tried every import method, and when I exported it, the pattern was inside the surface. Well, all that was before I found out, that the pattern I'm working on for the whole day already exists. 4150ps8. Although it could use improvement with a gradient.

I'm done for today.

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Philippe Hurbain - 2012-03-20

Quote:I just tried to mirror your pattern to complete it. The triangles worked fine, but the primitives went nuts.
Could you describe roughly what you did and post the result?
Quote:I tried every import method, and when I exported it, the pattern was inside the surface.
For the next round tile you try...
- put the top primitive in a new file
- inline it with LDDP (Tools > Inline part, shortcut ctrl-i), save the result
- Import that in LPC (project on yz plane, top)
- Create the pattern on this template
- Export the result ((project on yz plane, top)
...done.

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Daniel Goerner - 2012-03-20

Philippe \Philo\" Hurbain Wrote:Could you describe roughly what you did and post the result?

Well, mirroring for dummies: I just threw out the studs and subparts, copied everything else in your file, pasted it, and clicked Movement->Mirror->X-Axis. Which was wrong, of course, because eventually it didn't work. ;-)

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Daniel Goerner - 2012-03-20

Okay, now I inlined every primitive, deleted all the headers (very confusing) and mirrored the rest. Now it worked. So, the next pattern will be done. ;-)

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Philippe Hurbain - 2012-03-20

Yeah, symmetry in LDDP doesn't work great for primitives. I suggest to use MLCad for that.
First set your rotation point on world origin (settings > rotation point). Select everything you want to create mirror, copy/paste, then Edit > Move > Keyboard entry (or keboard icon in toolbar). There check "Use rotation matrix value". Transformation matrix is displayed as "1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1". Change the 1st "1" to -1 for a x mirror, 2nd for a y mirror, 3rd for a z mirror.
Note that if a single primitive is selected, you may see the absolute transformation matrix of the primitive instead of identity matrix "1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1". In this case just select another element that will be mirrored too... but it doesn't matter much if you select a comment line Wink

I'll keep that in mind for the future.

One technical question: No that I'm using triangles insted of primitives, does it line up properly with the subpart, when I'm done?

And one other question: The pattern on the actual part seems to be white. But it's not completely opaque, so it seems more like a light gray. Which color should I use, since white seems to bright.

Attached is the first attempt. A watermelon with cockpit. ;-)

Re: 30485pb01 Windscreen 8 x 6 x 3 Curved Top Angled Canopy Pattern, how to start? - Philippe Hurbain - 2012-03-21

Quote:No that I'm using triangles insted of primitives, does it line up properly with the subpart, when I'm done?
Yes, it should!
Always a delicate problem to match partially transparent colors! Maybe Very_Light_Bluish_Gray (151)?
Quote:Attached is the first attempt. A watermelon with cockpit. ;-)
Looks great! - despite watermelon is one of the very few things I really dislike ;D