LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Proposal of new primitives - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Parts Authoring (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Proposal of new primitives (/thread-24731.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Proposal of new primitives - Philippe Hurbain - 2022-01-17

(2022-01-17, 6:43)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Looks like we have 6 tdis currently on the PT they are definitely in use.

I guess t is for truncated (truncated ndis). But this could apply to any other truncated thing. Maybe tndis would be better?

RE: Proposal of new primitives - Massimo Maso - 2022-01-17

(2022-01-17, 8:37)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I guess t is for truncated (truncated ndis). But this could apply to any other truncated thing. Maybe tndis would be better?

For now I am the proponent and the largest user of these primitives but I have seen that others are also beginning to use them.
If no one has clearly opposed their introduction, I believe that they can now be considered accepted.

For me the name does not need to be changed.
The t was born as assumed by Philo from the word "truncated".
I don't think there can be any other way to truncate negative discs, except for the ones that I have listed below as tdis2, but which are easily obtainable from ndis and do not give real advantages.
For positive discs we already have disc and chrd, and I don't think we will ever need to introduce truncated disks: you would save a line of code to add a triangle to a chrd, a bit like for tdis2.

RE: Proposal of new primitives - Travis Cobbs - 2022-01-31

(2022-01-17, 6:43)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Looks like we have 6 tdis currently on the PT they are definitely in use.

Someone should add tdis to the primitives ref.

RE: Proposal of new primitives - Orion Pobursky - 2022-01-31

(2022-01-31, 0:22)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Someone should add tdis to the primitives ref.

It's in the queue. Updating the Prim Ref is a manual process and it hasn't been done in a bit so it may not happen until next release tentatively scheduled for the beginning of March.

I just released LDView 4.4.1 Beta 1 with support for tdis. I would greatly appreciate it if people would test my tdis support, and either report that it is working, or report any problems found. Note that I support them in the viewer and in POV-Ray exports.

(I'm not posting a release announcement in the Announcements forum because tdis is the only new feature.)

RE: Proposal of new primitives - Philippe Hurbain - 2022-01-31

(2022-01-31, 0:59)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I just released LDView 4.4.1 Beta 1 with support for tdis. I would greatly appreciate it if people would test my tdis support, and either report that it is working, or report any problems found. Note that I support them in the viewer and in POV-Ray exports.

(I'm not posting a release announcement in the Announcements forum because tdis is the only new feature.)
I tested on all tdis primitives currently on PT, they all work fine. I also generated two oddball 48\tdis (48\5-48tdis.dat and 48\11-48tdis.dat), they substituted fine too.

(2022-01-31, 7:40)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I tested on all tdis primitives currently on PT, they all work fine. I also generated two oddball 48\tdis (48\5-48tdis.dat and 48\11-48tdis.dat), they substituted fine too.

Thanks, Philo. Did you test POV export in addition to the viewer, or just the viewer? (The code for the POV geometry is totally different from the code for the viewer geometry.)

RE: Proposal of new primitives - Philippe Hurbain - 2022-02-01

(2022-01-31, 22:14)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Thanks, Philo. Did you test POV export in addition to the viewer, or just the viewer? (The code for the POV geometry is totally different from the code for the viewer geometry.)
Just the viewer... But now I tested POV export too and it works  Smile. Below the comparison between 4.4 and 4.4.1 (difference is subtle for 48-prims so I rendered both to be sure!)

RE: Proposal of new primitives - Orion Pobursky - 2022-02-05

(2022-01-31, 0:59)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I just released LDView 4.4.1 Beta 1 with support for tdis. I would greatly appreciate it if people would test my tdis support, and either report that it is working, or report any problems found. Note that I support them in the viewer and in POV-Ray exports.

Per the discussion here on the forums, the tdis primitives have been renamed to tndis.

RE: Proposal of new primitives - Philippe Hurbain - 2022-02-05

(2022-02-05, 5:51)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Per the discussion here on the forums, the tdis primitives have been renamed to ntdis.

*tndis !  Big Grin (rename on PT is correct)