LDraw.org Discussion Forums
New Click hinges - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: Models and Parts (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Part Requests (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: New Click hinges (/thread-24154.html)

New Click hinges - Orion Pobursky - 2020-08-05

Looks like there's some new click hinges with 7 teeth instead of 9 (so probably a new primitive set to be made):
https://rebrickable.com/parts/50340/hinge-plate-1-x-2-locking-with-2-fingers-on-side-7-teeth/
https://rebrickable.com/parts/57360/hinge-cylinder-1-x-2-locking-with-2-click-fingers-and-axle-hole-7-teeth/

Also, this part with no side slots:
https://rebrickable.com/parts/53923/hinge-cylinder-1-x-2-locking-with-1-finger-and-axle-hole-on-ends-no-side-slots/

RE: New Click hinges - - Gerald Lasser - 2021-03-09

I noticed these hinges the first time in the Vidiyo Sets. The 4 x 6 Plate with two hinges has a "clh6" that on one side opens to the top, and on the other side opens to the bottom.

I would propose the following to prims:

should I construct them from common elements, like subfiling clh6?

EDIT: Also our part 44568 is wrong, it uses twice the clh6, but the fingers are the same as in 65133

RE: New Click hinges - - Philippe Hurbain - 2021-03-10

(2021-03-09, 23:21)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I noticed these hinges the first time in the Vidiyo Sets. The 4 x 6 Plate with two hinges has a "clh6" that on one side opens to the top, and on the other side opens to the bottom.

I would propose the following to prims:

should I construct them from common elements, like subfiling clh6?

EDIT: Also our part 44568 is wrong, it uses twice the clh6, but the fingers are the same as in 65133

So this update is not new at all, 44568 is a 2003 part... Is this really needed to address this "problem" now?
Anyway if you modify clh6, please switch rounded bevels to 8\ primitives (or even make sharp edges, like was done for 1x1 round tile...)

RE: New Click hinges - - Gerald Lasser - 2021-03-10

(2021-03-10, 18:03)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: So this update is not new at all, 44568 is a 2003 part... Is this really needed to address this "problem" now?
Anyway if you modify clh6, please switch rounded bevels to 8\ primitives (or even make sharp edges, like was done for 1x1 round tile...)

True, I was wondering as well, that I had seen these fingers before. so I started searching the parts and finally found 44568.

I think the change would be good to do, to represent what is there.
The rounded bevels are indeed too fine, I can change them to /8 or try to remove them to see what is better.

RE: New Click hinges - Gerald Lasser - 2021-03-13

I modified the clip with the 8\ prims and completely without.

IMHO, it looks better if it keeps a bit of the rounded edges, I think we should keep the \8 
What d you think?

The Stud.io renders show the mock-ups in the same order (left-most is with hard edges)

and a real closeup:

RE: New Click hinges - Magnus Forsberg - 2021-03-14

(2021-03-13, 22:45)Gerald Lasser Wrote: IMHO, it looks better if it keeps a bit of the rounded edges, I think we should keep the \8 
What d you think?

.png   clip.png (Size: 36.66 KB / Downloads: 71)

I'd say edges only.
Maybe keep the rounded edge on my red edge, but then I don't know about the yellow edge.
IMO the finger slots (green) should also be reduced to lo-res.

RE: New Click hinges - Philippe Hurbain - 2021-03-14

(2021-03-14, 7:51)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I'd say edges only.
Maybe keep the rounded edge on my red edge, but then I don't know about the yellow edge.
Edges only for me too. No significant difference in properly beveled rendering, and for building instructions use, sharp edges with lines is better.
Quote:IMO the finger slots (green) should also be reduced to lo-res.
Oh yes!

RE: New Click hinges - Gerald Lasser - 2021-03-14

Thanks for your feedback!

The small space between the fingers is already lo-res. That is indeed not visible at all.

What bothers me a bit is the difference in glossiness, when edges are used it is rendered with more reflection.

RE: New Click hinges - Magnus Forsberg - 2021-03-14

(2021-03-14, 10:39)Gerald Lasser Wrote: The small space between the fingers is already lo-res. That is indeed not visible at all.

Just to be clear. All three 2-4cylo in the fingerslot should be lo-res.

RE: New Click hinges - Philippe Hurbain - 2021-03-14

(2021-03-14, 10:39)Gerald Lasser Wrote: What bothers me a bit is the difference in glossiness, when edges are used it is rendered with more reflection.
Strange indeed. But I see no real reason...
Quote:Just to be clear. All three 2-4cylo in the fingerslot should be lo-res.
Yup!

RE: New Click hinges - edges or not, normal or lo-res primitives. - Magnus Forsberg - 2022-10-23

We need to sort out all the different versions of these primitives.

I started looking into these again after this review:
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=p/clh14.dat

Gerald started a rework of  the female half of this family, edges instead of radius and a full lo-res design.
Then we had to take a step back, to a design with a rounded corner on the Arm parts using clh3

But the male primitives are moving in another direction, a mix of normal and lo-res.
I have reworked a set of male primitives, and have them ready for an upload.
If those are accepted, I also have to rework all the primitives Gerald fixed.

RE: New Click hinges - edges or not, normal or lo-res primitives. - Willy Tschager - 2022-10-23

I would prefer that we fix the npeg stuff first, before we dive into this.

w.

RE: New Click hinges - edges or not, normal or lo-res primitives. - Philippe Hurbain - 2022-10-24

(2022-10-23, 19:57)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: We need to sort out all the different versions of these primitives.
My personal preference is edge instead of radius for female prims. But I can live with lo-res.

Click hinge descriptions - Magnus Forsberg - 2022-11-11

There are more than one click hinge primitive with 7 tooth/fingers. clh10 and clh11
How should they be described?

clh1           Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Bricks
clh2           Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Plate Top
clh3           Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Arms
clh3q         Click Lock Hinge Single Finger - Quarter
clh4           Click Lock Hinge Half Dual Finger
clh5           Click Lock Hinge Half Dual Finger for Arms
clh6           Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Plate Ends
clh6c         Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Plate Ends - Common Parts
clh6u         Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Plate Ends - Opening Upwards
clh6d         Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Plate Ends - Opening Downwards
clh7           Click Lock Hinge Half Dual Finger 3-Position Type 1
clh8           Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Crevices and Ledges
clh9           Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Plate Top with Groove
clh10         Click Lock Hinge Half Dual Finger 7-Position
clh11         Click Lock Hinge Half Dual Finger - Missing Clicks 2 and 4
clh12         Click Lock Hinge Single Finger Tall
clh13         Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Plate Top with Wide Groove 2L
clh14         Click Lock Hinge Half Dual Finger 7-Position for Arms
s/swh1        ~Click Lock Hinge Half Dual Finger
s/swh4        ~Click Lock Hinge Half Dual Finger Wedged
s/44822s01 ~Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Hinge Tile  1 x  4
s/92582s01 ~Click Lock Hinge Single Finger for Plate Top with Wide Groove 2L
s/95120s01 ~Click Lock Hinge Single Finger with Double Lock for Hinge Tile  1 x  4