LDraw.org Discussion Forums
[LDView] LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: [LDView] LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release (/thread-24091.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release - Travis Cobbs - 2020-06-14

I have posted a test release for LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 to GitHub:

https://github.com/tcobbs/ldview/releases/tag/v4.4_Alpha6

This release does have some known issues, but it also has quite a bit of new functionality, as well as some significant bug fixes.

Right now, I have only provided installers for macOS and 64-bit Windows. If you would like me to create an installer other than one of those two, please let me know.

The ChangeHistory.html file that is included in the release lists all of the changes. In the macOS version, ChangeHistory.html is in the dmg. In the Windows version, ChangeHistory.html gets installed to wherever you install LDView (C:\Program Files\LDView by default). I think the most important changes are:

1. Support for SPHERICAL and CYLINDRICAL texture maps.
  2. Support for !DATA meta-command for embedding texture maps into MPDs.
  3. Support for DPI scaling (AKA High DPI) on Windows, as well as Retina displays on macOS.
  4. Support for macOS Finder thumbnail generation (toggle on LDraw tab of preferences).
  5. Support for macOS Dark Mode.
  6. Multiple important TEXMAP bug fixes.

RE: LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release - Philippe Hurbain - 2020-06-16

As far as I can tell, there is a file path problem: 4.4 doesn't seem to find referred parts or subparts lying in the same folder or path relative folder.

RE: LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release - Travis Cobbs - 2020-06-16

(2020-06-16, 14:08)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: As far as I can tell, there is a file path problem: 4.4 doesn't seem to find referred parts or subparts lying in the same folder or path relative folder.

Thanks for the report. I will investigate.

RE: LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release - Travis Cobbs - 2020-06-17

(2020-06-16, 14:08)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: As far as I can tell, there is a file path problem: 4.4 doesn't seem to find referred parts or subparts lying in the same folder or path relative folder.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Can you be more specific, and also preferably send me a zip example?

I thought you meant files that are in the same directory as the main file. But I tested that in both Windows and macOS, and it works fine for me. If that is what you are talking about, do you have an ldraw.ini? If so, if the LDrawSearch section is missing a <MODELDIR> entry, then that would be the expected behavior.

RE: LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release - Philippe Hurbain - 2020-06-17

(2020-06-17, 1:28)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I thought you meant files that are in the same directory as the main file. 
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
Quote:But I tested that in both Windows and macOS, and it works fine for me. If that is what you are talking about, do you have an ldraw.ini? If so, if the LDrawSearch section is missing a <MODELDIR> entry, then that would be the expected behavior.
I don't think I have an ldraw.ini file (or it would be well hidden!). What I can say for sure is that the same part file don't show same directory referred to files when I use LDVew 4.4, while it works fine when I use LDView 4.3 executable. Both executable versions sit in the same folder and share the same settings.

(2020-06-17, 5:58)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
I don't think I have an ldraw.ini file (or it would be well hidden!). What I can say for sure is that the same part file don't show same directory referred to files when I use LDVew 4.4, while it works fine when I use LDView 4.3 executable. Both executable versions sit in the same folder and share the same settings.

Since I can't reproduce this, can you send me a zip file of a directory where this occurs for you, as well as letting me know which main file to open?

RE: LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release - Philippe Hurbain - 2020-06-17

(2020-06-17, 17:36)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Since I can't reproduce this, can you send me a zip file of a directory where this occurs for you, as well as letting me know which main file to open?
OK, the problem is more subtle... it's related to French accentuated characters in the path. The folder where I create parts is named "Pièces en cours". In this folder, local subparts are not found. But, (as I noticed while preparing a zip for you), 4.4 works perfectly if the folder path doesn't contain special characters. The problem doesn't occur with 4.3.

(2020-06-17, 18:39)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: OK, the problem is more subtle... it's related to French accentuated characters in the path. The folder where I create parts is named "Pièces en cours". In this folder, local subparts are not found. But, (as I noticed while preparing a zip for you), 4.4 works perfectly if the folder path doesn't contain special characters. The problem doesn't occur with 4.3.

4.4 is actually supposed to fix problems with special characters in filenames, so it seems like I introduced a new one that wasn't present before. I would still appreciate it if you sent me a zip that includes the folder itself inside the zip.

Never mind about sending me a zip. I'm able to reproduce the problem.

RE: LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release - Travis Cobbs - 2020-06-18

(2020-06-17, 20:02)Travis Cobbs Wrote: 4.4 is actually supposed to fix problems with special characters in filenames, so it seems like I introduced a new one that wasn't present before. I would still appreciate it if you sent me a zip that includes the folder itself inside the zip.

Never mind about sending me a zip. I'm able to reproduce the problem.

So, I found the problem. I put a lot of effort into fixing LDView's support of Unicode characters in filenames, but forgot to enable one part of that code in my Windows Release build settings. Since all my other code had been updated to treat all filenames as Unicode (specifically, UTF-8, mostly), the one remaining bit of code that didn't do that didn't work at all any more.  Undecided

RE: LDView 4.4 Alpha 6 test release - Philippe Hurbain - 2020-06-18

(2020-06-18, 4:09)Travis Cobbs Wrote: So, I found the problem. I put a lot of effort into fixing LDView's support of Unicode characters in filenames, but forgot to enable one part of that code in my Windows Release build settings. Since all my other code had been updated to treat all filenames as Unicode (specifically, UTF-8, mostly), the one remaining bit of code that didn't do that didn't work at all any more.  Undecided
Sorry, night time when I saw your message yesterday. Great you found the problem anyway  Smile