LDraw.org Discussion Forums
LDInspector - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: LDInspector (/thread-23882.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: LDInspector - Willy Tschager - 2020-02-13

(2020-02-13, 9:36)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Thanks for reporting and best regards
Stefan

Believe it or not but I got it running. Now I need to know some things:

1. How do I create a desktop starter for it, 'cos mine isn't working on Linux Mint
2. I presume the prog wants to know where my LDraw library is - but it didn't ask at start-up
3. I tried to load an .mpd via "Workspace -> Load" but nothing happens
4. I'm irritated by the fact that the prog apparently closes and re-opens after I had hit "Load". - It does the same thing after I opened the "Info" dialog and pushed "OK".

w.

RE: LDInspector - Stefan Frenz - 2020-02-14

Smile  Thank you very much! Smile 

ad 1: Right-click on the desktop, select "Create Launcher", select the 4_run.sh script as "Command" and ensure to have the right "Working Directory" pointing to the directory where the run script is stored. The latter is needed because the starter-script at the moment assumes that it is run in its own directory, which isn't checked and isn't ensured. Now knowing that LDInspector runs on your machine, I will beautify the scripts.

ad 2: By default without configuration, LDInspector uses some kind of minimalistic internal data to enable playing even without LDraw. Please click on "Config." to configure paths to LDraw (if unconfigured, there will be an entry "Test", which should be removed if a real LDraw-directory or complete.zip-file is used). The "Load" button does not load a file but a workspace configuration. In a workspace there may be "loose items" which refer to parts by name, "file references" which refer to a single file by its name, "directory references" which refer to a complete directory by name and other things. I use this to have a default configuration having a reference to my OMR-working-directory and a reference to the downloaded official OMR-files, so configured once I don't need to adjust configuration or "load" files anymore.

ad 3: Yes. Sad  I think the program is not self-explainatory enough (see 2). Please click "File" to refer to a mpd file (if you save the workspace after that, the file-reference will stay there on program-restart). I'll document the workflow and give examples here.

ad 4: Yes. Sad Sad  This is due to a bug of JavaFX that is known for years, but it doesn't get fixed. The bug prevents resizing the main window as soon as a modal window is shown. The only workaround keeping the main window resizable is to hide and re-show the main window. In fact I was very undecided what is worse: having the window unresizeable or hide+show it.

(2020-02-13, 20:40)Willy Tschager Wrote: working on Linux Mint

Which version of Linux Mint do you use? Maybe it is possible to run something like
Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-11-jre openjfx

If this is installed and the ldinsp.jar is in the current directory, the following command should start LDInspector
Code:
java --module-path ldinsp.jar:/usr/share/openjfx/lib -m LDInspector/ldinsp.LDInspector

I think this would be much easier than downloading Java and JavaFX in a script, additionally the system updates will ensure having an up-to-date environment. A drawback is that it is not self-contained / portable and requires root access to the machine...

Updated version with support for step-by-step render preview and some bugfixes.

Edit: removed very buggy file. Sorry to all of you testing and thank you N.W.Perry for reporting the exception!

RE: LDInspector - N. W. Perry - 2020-02-14

(2020-02-14, 15:15)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Updated version with support for step-by-step render preview and some bugfixes.

Still working on getting this to run; I'm a bit mixed up which of the various procedures I should be using (Mac OS 10.14.6 here)?

(2020-02-14, 16:16)N. W. Perry Wrote: I'm a bit mixed up which of the various procedures I should be using (Mac OS 10.14.6 here)?
I'm sorry for that. I don't have a Mac to test and some colleagues reported some caveats for Java on Mac (perhaps they are >=MacOS 10.15), but I would assume that if you have java and openjfx installed, it should ™ work. You can get JavaFX from gluon and Java from Oracle or AdoptOpenJDK.

RE: LDInspector - Stefan Frenz - 2020-02-15

Attached are four example use cases. Please click on the preview-images to have animated GIFs.

Use case 1: preview mpd (more useful if there is a directory with many mpds to preview)
[attachment=4848]

Use case 2: check mpd for OMR compliance
[attachment=4849]

Use case 3: create part list from Bricklink web info (useful before making the mpd to get a Bricklink-pbg and afterwards to check parts count); this use case is split into six steps as they are independent and the gif-image-filesize limit is 500 kb...

3.1: search sets and get the inventory from Bricklink
[attachment=4850]

3.2: resolve nested inventories for missing or unofficial parts
[attachment=4851]

3.3: replace Bricklink-listed but LDraw-missing parts by manual search+replace
[attachment=4852]

3.4: automatically replace all ~moved parts
[attachment=4853]

3.5: create part list and export to LDCad pbg or Bricklink XML
[attachment=4854]

3.6: compare used parts in mpd versus listed parts in part list
[attachment=4855]

use case 4: create part list from Rebrickable web info and/or get pbg file directly
[attachment=4856]

RE: LDInspector - Willy Tschager - 2020-02-15

(2020-02-14, 15:14)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Which version of Linux Mint do you use?

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

(2020-02-14, 15:14)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Maybe it is possible to run something like
Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-11-jre openjfx

Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.     
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
E: Paket openjdk-11-jre kann nicht gefunden werden.

RE: LDInspector - Stefan Frenz - 2020-02-15

Ok, so this is not an option anymore. Thanks for reporting! I will make an installer with download.

RE: LDInspector - Stefan Frenz - 2020-02-21

Attached is an updated version of LDInspector, asking for a configuration if started without one (thanks for hinting this might be helpful) and with some new features and bugfixes. Also attached is an installer for Linux and Windows: both download required files and create an appropriate starter script.

Edit: updated install zip as suggested by Willy.